Thread: No flying 5.2

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    i dont think its much of ur theory since they have straight out sayed they regret them :P

GC has said that would have been one thing he would not have implemented. Blizzard overall has not stated any regret.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XstenZ View Post
    Maybe about time to change to a PvE realm.
    The island enables pvp on even a pve realm. At least on the ptr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh well, not like I can't just stealth past the mobs I'd fly over anyway. So much for Blizzard's spiel about wanting life on the ground to feel dangerous, I've got a cooldown that lets me shove my nutsack into a dragon's eye and it still won't spot me for about thirty seconds.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    It's a CRZ thing. Because there's only one PvP realm per grouping, the CRZs work under PvP server rules on beta/PTR to make sure it works properly on PvP servers. PvE and RP-PvE servers most likely will not be force-flagged on the Isle unless we get word from a Blue poster that this is intentional (and even then, PTR is PTR and that could change).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Enables =/= Forces

The poster you were quoting seems to be stating that he wants to switch to a PvE realm to save themself some headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Flying, and mounts in general make the game experience, and the progress more convenient.
    It is possible however that this convenience backfires with new players. Kisho made good points.
    If you compare with Wow how it once was, and how it is now... Today we can avoid many many encounters. Now, one can say, quality comes from practice. Which could be a factor in gaining pve skills. Apparently there's a relation, if we look at the issues there were with CC.
    Where almost everyone who started playing during Vanilla/TBC had zero problem with proper CC usage, the following generations couldn't master it. It turned into a giant failure early on in Cata. Blizzard thought to bring it back. People never had to practice it. And the results were horrible.
    It wasn't the peoples fault. They were called noobs and what not, for something they never had to do before.
    And the same could be true now for the being grounded all the time. No evasion anymore. Teaches how to avoid aggro if it isn't wanted. Gives practice with keybinds, rotations and what not. Could very well lead to an overall better skill on a broad range of players.

I still don't advocate a mount removal at all.. That's outright silly. Just saying where differences and impacts could be.
    I'm sorry, but there isn't anything in there that resembles the truth. I leveled my first toon, kitty druid from 1-80 with no flying and when I got to 80, I didn't have a clue how to play my class. The time frame for that was the last couple of months of BC into the first month of Wrath. My point is that there has never been a need to use skill for levelingduring my time in the game, sure it would have made it faster or easier, but getting to max level has never been a learning experience so much as just time spent getting there for most players. Besides, you don't get flying til Outlands, so you still have 60 levels of 'learning curve' if you want to use it that way.

To address other points made in this thread:

All the arguments here are moot, flying isn't going away. The model of having daily areas without flying isn't new either, so I don't see the issue with them using it again as they did in Cata and BC.

To the people complaining about time constraints...you only have an hour to play a day and the dailies take 15 minutes longer, maybe you only get to do them every second day. It really won't hurt your progression in the big picture. There's no need for the game to be designed so you can gorge yourself on as much play in an hour as possible, personal time constraints shouldn't be the driving force behind design decisions. An hour a day allows you a certain amount of progress, but it doesn't have to offer you max progress.

To the people complaining about mounts blocking NPC's...I have never in my years playing found an NPC that I couldn't click on, no matter how many mammoths were on top of it? Sometimes it requires a little camera and character manipulation, but I've always found a way. It's such a minor issue, I can't believe the stuff people get knotted up about sometimes.

To people on imbalanced PvP servers...you survived Molten Front and Tol'Barad, this will work out for you too.

From my perspective, I liked not flying while leveling in MoP. It added to the leveling time sure, but the reward of flying at max level is a nice feeling. I had no issues with no flight in Tol'Barad or MF, it's just the way it was and it gave me a chance to ride some of my dust collecting ground mounts. From what I've seen of 5.2, I think no flight for this content is a good idea, and I don't play on a PvP server. 5.2 holds promise for me of best patch in years and I think you're worried about something that is going to end up being at worst a trivial annoyance. I don't want flight to go anywhere, but I definitely think there is a place for 'no-fly' zones in the game and this seems like a good implementation of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    To the people complaining about mounts blocking NPC's...I have never in my years playing found an NPC that I couldn't click on, no matter how many mammoths were on top of it? Sometimes it requires a little camera and character manipulation, but I've always found a way. It's such a minor issue, I can't believe the stuff people get knotted up about sometimes.
    Alternately, you can macro /tar <NPC Name> and put that on your bar, and keybind Interact with Target to a button you don't use often (I use ' for target interaction), and bypass the need to click on the NPC entirely.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gephyrophobia View Post
    Ugh, great. If only I had enough cash to blow on transferring every toon off of my PVP server..

Fuck world pvp, it's a nuisance.
    Agree 1 million%

8 years ago I had no idea of the implications of this and only rolled on the server my friends were on. I've never enjoyed it, but I'm stuck here. I'm not going to go on about it, but continuing to do random garbage like this only serves to make everyone who doesn't want to PvP alienated.

They are naive to think that anyone playing on a PvP server either a) knows what they are in for or b) wants what they are in for. World PvP should have specific areas people can go with their own, NOT PVE RELATED activities. Give them their own factions, their own items, w/e...I don't care. Just quit tying the story, PvE gear and Reps, and raids into World PvP zones.

It's lazy bullshit.

Wow reading these comments remind me of how much of a good idea it was to bail on the whole PVP server scene. Waiting for the day when one servers pop finally just tips to 98% or 99% one faction and they bitch that there is just nobody to gank

15+ Year Old Account
    Pve server activateeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOutlaw View Post
    Every time this topic comes up I wait for someone to give a cogent argument explaining how flying mounts are "ruining the game". I'm still waiting.
    Let's say you're playing skyrim,you have to climb that 1000 steps or whatever mountain to get to the throat of the world, fight your way through packs of wolves, and a frost troll to finally get to the top.

How fun would that be, if you could fly to the top instead?

It's similar in wow, you avoid everything in the world, land on what you want, fly off again, I cannot understand how people don't see what it does to the world. You could go "don't use it if you don't want", well for starters that doesn't help the pvp department, and second, people will pretty much always do things the quick way even if they despise the quick way.

Sometimes people need limitations for their own good, they do not have the willpower to do things the hard way, even if the hard way would make it more enjoyable. You could get rid of travel alltogether and make a portal tab in your characterscreen, would that help the game? Some would argue it would, but I would disagree.

Limits aren't always a bad design choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You should give your glasses to those people

If all people that complained about flying mounts would use ground mounts, the problem would be solved.
    Then they would spend 40 minutes tring to figure out why they can't get up to sky range, the vermen burrow dailies in the side of 4 winds and eternal blossom cliffs, the cloud serpent eggs, the cloud serpent dailies, and the battle pet daily quest trainer on the cliffs between Kun-Lai and Eternal blossoms, you know because 'Blizzard designed Mop for only ground mounts'.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    tbh they should forget wpvp till they fix class balance
    class balance will never be achieved till they delete arena and fire kalgan.

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    Let's say you're playing skyrim,you have to climb that 1000 steps or whatever mountain to get to the throat of the world, fight your way through packs of wolves, and a frost troll to finally get to the top.

It's similar in wow, you avoid everything in the world, land on what you want, fly off again, I cannot understand how people don't see what it does to the world. You could go "don't use it if you don't want", well for starters that doesn't help the pvp department, and second, people will pretty much always do things the quick way even if they despise the quick way.

Sometimes people need limitations for their own good, they do not have the willpower to do things the hard way, even if the hard way would make it more enjoyable. You could get rid of travel alltogether and make a portal tab in your characterscreen, would that help the game? Some would argue it would, but I would disagree.

You go ahead and limit yourself then and come back in 3 months and tell us how much fun you had. I'm sure we will enjoy the story while we continue to fly around on our flying mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    You go ahead and limit yourself then and come back in 3 months and tell us how much fun you had. I'm sure we will enjoy the story while we continue to fly around on our flying mounts.
    ...I have characters that don't even have a ground mount.
    And yes, I do enjoy actually having to fight my way into places instead of landing looting and flying off again.

It's also weird you didn't really adress anything I said. You disagree that fighting your way up the mountain is a lesser gameeperience thene simply flying up? Would be nice to know why.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2013-01-11 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Agreed.

Sadly, 99.99% of players do not play WoW for the story, it's for the purple gear and epeen.

Force of habit I guess :/

10+ Year Old Account
    And yes, I do enjoy actually having to fight my way into places instead of landing looting and flying off again.

You shouldn't really compare Skyrim to WoW. You also shouldn't force your view of immersion and opinion down people's throats.

Agreed.

Sadly, 99.99% of players do not play WoW for the story, it's for the purple gear and epeen.

Force of habit I guess :/

False statistic that cannot be possibly proven.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't which invalidates both our opinions so they don't matter for shit. Awww yee.

10+ Year Old Account

Interesting comparison. I understand your premise, but you forgot about "Fast Travel".

You leveled through MoP, akin to traveling to different locales in Skyrim, and once you saw it they gave you a faster way to get there later.

If you choose to travel on foot there every time after, that's your choice.

I'm with some other people in the thread though, this isn't life ending. It will be a nuisance but we've had the "no flight" questing zones before. I've played on PvP zones during that time and made it through with a few bumps and bruises. If you're on an overpopulated realm who's odds aren't in your favor (and you can't pay to transfer) maybe find someone through a forum that will manually transfer you to a server where that's not the problem?

Life will go on.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    I don't which invalidates both our opinions so they don't matter for shit. Awww yee.
    Well, if you don't like fighting in warcraft I would argue your opinion is kinda weird, why play if you want to avoid combat, seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallikiddd View Post
    class balance will never be achieved till they delete arena and fire kalgan.
    Just stop with the blame game and learn that one person does not make all the decisions in WoW.