Thread: No flying 5.2

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Oh.. this will be fun

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 12:50 PM ----------

Even Blizzard said flying mounts were a failure, so stop saying the issues stem from the players oO Just because you are lazy and want to feel safe 24/7 in the world of WARcraft, doesnt mean everyone likes it.
    The implementation of flying mounts in WoW is a failure, but having flying mounts is not. Hell, if WoW didn't have them, people would be bitching. It's practically a genre staple at this point.

You shouldn't be flying in an area that is so small anyways. It's already small enough, flying would make it to where you can get anywhere in 30 seconds.
    It's kind of sad MMOs have come to this after all the years people fantasized about games that wouldn't just be isolated levels you had to pretend were part of a greater world.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I am the kind of person who likes to log into the game, set up my lfr/lfd/scenario queues, and then go about working on my dailies, which include my farm, mining, pet battle dailies, archaeology daily. I don't want to go around ganking people, and I don't want to have to run on the ground to get all over hell and creation. Blizzard removing the flying mounts would be one of the stupidest things they could ever do. What needs to be done is they need to turn off flying only on the pvp servers so all the people who want to waste time ganking can just transfer there.

Quote Originally Posted by thedingleberry View Post
    I am the kind of person who likes to log into the game, set up my lfr/lfd/scenario queues, and then go about working on my dailies, which include my farm, mining, pet battle dailies, archaeology daily. I don't want to go around ganking people, and I don't want to have to run on the ground to get all over hell and creation. Blizzard removing the flying mounts would be one of the stupidest things they could ever do. What needs to be done is they need to turn off flying only on the pvp servers so all the people who want to waste time ganking can just transfer there.
    I think a better compromise would be just to add more NPC's in these kind of areas that can knock you out of the sky, like the opposite faction NPC's in Krasarang, and to let people buy a PVP item to knock people out of the sky in a similar way, if they're flagged or on a PVP server. Just more air dangers in general would solve a lot of problems, too.

The amount of ad hoc fallacy in this thread is too darn high!

I'm glad that I'm on a pve server right now lol.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Hopefully they add flying in before it goes live, it's only the beta after all.

It would be stupid not to, honestly.

World pvp didn't end since flying was brought in. Think Halaa and hellfire...giving people a choice is better then denying flying. I want to fly, not trot around on the ground.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2013-01-12 at 07:52 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    You shouldn't be flying in an area that is so small anyways. It's already small enough, flying would make it to where you can get anywhere in 30 seconds.
    It's kind of sad MMOs have come to this after all the years people fantasized about games that wouldn't just be isolated levels you had to pretend were part of a greater world.

The problem is, if there are big mountains to climb or areas you need a flying mount to get there. That and we don't know what Blizzard intends.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I play the game to do something I consider fun, and tedium isn't generally fun (for me), and ground mounts are often associated with tedium (for me).

So, make of that what you will.

Well atleast I'll get to enjoy my water strider for once.

Thread is pointless. GC confirmed that no flying mounts is a bug on the PTR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    You shouldn't really compare Skyrim to WoW. You also shouldn't force your view of immersion and opinion down people's throats.

False statistic that cannot be possibly proven.
    No shit Sherlock, read it as 'most of the players in WoW do not give two fucks about the lore, story or character development.

I wish my world was as polarised as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    He doesn't have to, he get's paid for the entire community to hate him. He's a joke card. He's like the president of the united states. He can say he will do this and that all he wants but it's really congress that's running the show.
    Again, think what you want. I'm under the impression you'd like to write him off as anything but credible because he doesn't share your opinion.

The artificial gating via daily quests was created to combat horrific repeatable turn in quests or long quest chains that involved getting a reputation to exalted. It was also created with flying in mind (see Tbc) and still to this day we see the exact same trends as then. Large daily hubs separated by a wealth of landscape. The whole point of it being a convenience is what makes it important as a gameplay element, yet the only detraction I can see from your argument is they have to somehow work harder about content being consumed despite it already being staggered and the potentials of world pvp.
    Lol people did dailies in TBC so that they could fly. Even in daily hubs that were flying-only every objective could be easily accessed on the ground without crossing a "wealth of landscape." But things have changed since then because daily hubs are [i]now[i] made with flying in mind.
    Flying clearly isn't necessary for the gameplay element of dailies. It could make doing dailies more interesting, but instead it makes them even less interesting.

Also, of course it adds nothing to gameplay because that isn't it's purpose. We don't use flying mounts actively whilst raiding or end game pvping so that entire point is moot. The artificial detraction you feel is very ill-founded.
    I love flying mounts. They aren't good for the game. My personal and objective views are separate and neither are ill-founded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    Y
    A game whose business model is dependent on player time investment will be objectively better when people aren't zipping around completing tasks at the speed of light.
    Their business model isn't based on time logged-in but on time subscribed. And until you can proof that forcing people to stay online longer somehow makes them subscribe longer i don't see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Their business model isn't based on time logged-in but on time subscribed. And until you can proof that forcing people to stay online longer somehow makes them subscribe longer i don't see your point.
    I don't have to prove it, it's just common sense. If players have more to do, they have reason to maintain their subscription. A great example of this idea in action is during 4.3, when after several months subs dropped by the millions due to lack of content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have to prove it, it's just common sense. If players have more to do, they have reason to maintain their subscription.
    Oh yeah? By that logic, asian grinders must be super successful.

Guess what: People want to spend their free time doing stuff that is FUN and not splitting that valuable free time into doing annoying and tedious stuff to even get to the fun stuff.

Yeah kids in their basements (It's a cliché, I know, just want to be clear) probably won't understand it, but most of the people treasure their few hours of free time.

Convenience is good. Mindless convenience (a.k.a. Epics in mailbox) is obviously NOT good. A bit of inconvenience is also good (challenging raidbosses), mindless inconvenience (no flying at this point, massive grind) leads to frustration and lost subs.

For many people the dailies are already too much mindless grind, that makes them quit. And your Idea is to bring MORE inconvenience and WASTED time into the game?!
    Last edited by Granyala; 2013-01-12 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Oh yeah? By that logic, asian grinders must be super successful.

Guess what: People want to spend their free time doing stuff that is FUN and not splitting that valuable free time into doing annoying and tedious stuff to even get to the fun stuff.

Yeah kinds in their basements (It's a cliché, I know, just want to be clear) probably won't understand it, but most of the people treasure their few hours of free time.

Convenience is good. Mindless convenience (a.k.a. Epics in mailbox) is obviously NOT good.
    The front page just showed a tweet answered by GC that suggested that Chinese WoW players, who make up the majority of the subscription base, play for prestige rather than fun. They are the sort of people the entire genre is tailored to.

I am not arguing against convenience per se, only that flying mounts arguably add too much convenience.
    Also, if your goal is to spend your free time not doing tedious activities then it might be that MMORPGs aren't really tailored to your tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    I don't have to prove it, it's just common sense. If players have more to do, they have reason to maintain their subscription. A great example of this idea in action is during 4.3, when after several months subs dropped by the millions due to lack of content.
    But traveling isn't really "something to do". Nobody logs in and thinks "Yay today i'll spend half my time online riding through zones". Traveling is not content, traveling is a time-sink. And we are talking about a daily zone here, so all the exploration factor goes away pretty quickly when you do the same quests again and again every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, if your goal is to spend your free time not doing tedious activities then it might be that MMORPGs aren't really tailored to your tastes.
    Well WoW is right now. But a few disgrunteled people like you are trying to change that.

If WoW is too convenient for you, maybe it's not tailored to your tastes?

*sorry could not resist*

But traveling isn't really "something to do".
    Also this. Travel is fun for the first month. After that it's annoying as fuck to need 10mins to get anywhere.

Disclaimer: I agree that flying mounts are problematic for PvP Servers and open world ganking. I'm talking from a PvE Server perspective.

Sigh, rly unfortunate change

Actual world pvp is stonedead and all things considered it should stay so.

Why?

1. Because pvp is at its all-time poorest balance between classes

2. Because indeed there will be no real pvp. Only ganking n' griefing

3. Because server inbalance will quickly lead to one faction that will be largely unable to quest

When was the last time someone attacked you out in the open in an honest way? Aka not while pet-battling, fishing or engaged by several mobs? Thats right. Never.

Why not just leave it at the world bosses? Killing the faction thats trying to down SoA is good fun and now there'll be 2 more to take up the role.

What I rail against is that the isle won't be a pvp-zone. It'll be a grief zone.