I found myself having to PvP to gear up an alt who would serve as a "protector" to an alt I have programmed to level up. Having no connections to boost me through RBGS, my only choice was to run random battlegrounds. I have done quite a lot of random BGs as Alliance, and here are my stats:
Battlegrounds played: 679
Battlegrounds won: 310
Alterac Valley Battles: 139, Won: 71-Lost 68
Arathil Basin Battles: 139, Won:67-Lost: 72
Battle of Gilneas Battles: 20, Won: 3-Lost: 17
Eye of the Storm Battles: 85, Won: 24- Lost: 61
Strand of the Ancient Battles: 67, Won: 33-Lost: 34
Twin peaks Battles: 91, Won: 42-Lost: 49
Warsong Gulch Battles: 65, Won: 25 -Lost: 40
Isle of Conquest Battles: 72, Won: 34- Lost: 38
I have never played any RBG, so the above stats are not skewed by any RBG results. I think it is pretty obvious that the Horde is overall much better than the Alliance, and perhaps this is because their racials are vastly superior to alliance racials for PvP.
The flaws of the System:
1. First of all, as an Alliance player, your best chance to farm conquest points is to do Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest. Therefore, when you use the Random Battleground feature, you have got a good motive to sabotage the BG you are currently in so that it ends sooner, in order to get out of it without the debuff, so that you can Random-BG re-queue immediately and -hopefully- end up in AV or in IoQ.
2. When you have obtained full blue PvP gear though the honor system and your PvP gear is fully upgraded through it, then there is absolutely no reason to bother fighting when you join a random BG, except if it is obvious that the Alliance is going to win, which hardly ever happens. If you join a random BG, and you can see from the score that your team is going to lose, then you can just afk so that the BG will end sooner and you can instantly re-queue for another BG, which will hopefully be AV or IoQ.
Quite often, and especially in Eye of the Storm and Battle for Gilneas, there are only Alliance bots fighting against the Horde while human players are just afk'ing it out. I usually read "Science Daily" while afk'ing in Battlegrounds or ANANDTECH PC reviews or just newspaper.
I don't mind if they report me, because I no longer need honor.
3. You can only blacklist two battlegrounds. IMO, we should be given the ability to blacklist every single battleground except Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest. That way, we will grind conquest points in a couple of days, and so bored and disinterested players such as me will be removed from the system. I don't enjoy grinding BGs, it's annoying, tedious and it feels like work. If you gave me the chance to grind my conquest cap by doing AV and IoQ in a couple of days, you'll have me out of the system and not afking out in BG's.
ISLE OF CONQUEST SPECIFIC FLAWS:
1. GRIEFING IN IoQ: The Glaives (siege artillery) used to throw down the gates to the enemy keep, are very weak, which makes them very vulnerable both to players as well as enemy artillery. Often, there are Alliance players who play just to grief their team, and so what they do is take control of the Glaive and drive it straight to the horde keep, just within the range of the Horde artillery, and get their glaive destroyed within seconds thus crippling their team.
Losing one or two glaives 99% of the time means that you lost the game. Currently, there is no way to punish players griefing their team in such a way and there is also no way to prevent this type of griefing behaviour.
2. FOUR CAR GARAGE & GLAIVE GRAVE IoQ ACHIEVEMENTS: These two achievements are the reason for many games lost. First, they give an incentive to people to actively try to control Glaives (even people who have no clue on how to use them) leading to mishandled Glaives and thus lost games, and even worse, they give an incentive to Glaive drivers to ACTIVELY try to kill enemy players WITH the glaive INSTEAD of just using the glaive to throw the Enemy Keep's gates down. So, what often happens is glaives hunting down enemy players and firing on them instead of firing on the Enemy Keep's gates, thus ensuring a lost game.
RBG SYSTEM FLAWS
I have been playing since, uh, Dec 2005. I don't remember when the RBG system was introduced, and what is worse, I have never done RBG although I have got the gear and experience.
The reason: NOBODY EXCEPT PEOPLE WHO CHARGE YOU REAL MONEY FOR A BOOST IS DOING RBGs.
On my server, the trade chat is spammed daily by people who charge you real money through PAYPAL to boost you through RBGs. These people are never caught, silenced or whatever, and reporting them achieves nothing. Apart from these people, nobody else ever advertises for an RBG group or a BG premade.
Now back in Vanilla, I had no friends, and I wasn't even in a guild when I started. But I was able through my participation in BG's to gear up fully (I got Rank 10) and because premades all started and finished either in SW Keep or IF war hall, you got to KNOW the people who ran premades because you saw them every day like 20-30 times. The people who ran premades also got to know you, and then you got a spot in a premade out of the blue.
This is simply not possible today, because nobody except botters/con artists/people who charge real money for boosts is doing Rated Battlegrounds.
I really fail to see the purpose of RBGs the way they are implemented today. The only thing RBGs did, was to make lots of money for the people who charge real money for RBG boosts and ofc make alot of money for PAYPAL.
(Regarding Arena: I have never done Arena nor I ever will. I hate the way the Arena is "balanced" and getting roflstomped by FOTM classes/specs without a chance to fight back is no fun).