Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Anime/Manga] Women and anime (I got my gf's foot in the door!)

So recenly my gf tried to get to know me better after realizing just how many anime/manga series i keep up with and watch/read on some free time. I originally thought i wouldnt be able to get her into anime/manga but i found succuss through "Death Note". So basically im making this post to ask.

What series do women like?

Because I don't know what to show her.... So heres some detail if this helps. She African American, 22, Educated enough that I didnt have to explain the dialogue in Death Note. And is interested in the medical field...And is christian... So yeah.. any help from ladies or gents whom have gotten women into anime/manga post that series. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dedomoazul; 2013-01-11 at 12:08 PM. Reason: moar riptide!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedomoazul View Post
    So recenly my gf tried to get to know me better after realizing just how many anime/manga series i keep up with and watch/read on some free time. I originally thought i wouldnt be able to get her into anime/manga but i found succuss through "Death Note". So basically im making this post to ask.

What series do women like?

Because I don't know what to show her.... So heres some detail if this helps. She African American, 22, Educated enough that I didnt have to explain the dialogue in Death Note. And is interested in the medical field... So yeah.. any help from ladies or gents whom have gotten women into anime/manga post that series. Thank you.
    They do seem to like all the semi yaoi stuff :P Or the lifetime versions of mangas.

My GF loves Hellsing Ultimate OVA I think its called? Gungrave, Full Metal Panic and Elfin Lied.
    [08:44:11] Kurioxan: as long they get big im alright with that

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=MMOC-GenOT

High Overlord
    you shouldnt be afraid of showing her whatever anime you like, because she should be loving you the way you are, and surprisngly everybody likes different stuff.

Long story short : Dont be ashamed of your Animes
    ​ Everybody is 6'5", 300 pounds and can bench a truck. Keyboard warriors at their finest.

Wolf's Rain is one I liked, not a guarantee others will like it.

Close your eyes and smile.
    [15:53] <PizzaSHARK> you have such a cute accent! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by TheZealot View Post
    you shouldnt be afraid of showing her whatever anime you like, because she should be loving you the way you are, and surprisngly everybody likes different stuff.

Long story short : Dont be ashamed of your Animes
    The problem is i know she doesnt like Dbz. I mght try Samurai Champloo... I dont think she be cool with Onepiece, or Lupin the 3rd. Im not ashamed of my series i just understand her tastes are different than mine.

For instance. Within the realm of hiphop music. She listens to ALOT of mainstream.. I listen to Lupe, Tech N9ne, Kendrick, i think the only artist we both like is Kendrick..

Speaking from personal experience (as i'm a girl :P) if she's into the cute girly type shows you can't go wrong with Chobits, Card Captor Sakura, Azumanga Daioh, K-On, Fruit's Basket (I've shown it to several blokes who have all enjoyed it including two who it made cry xD) etc etc. Some other shows she might like... Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Shakugan no Shana, Hellsing (though I got bored of it myself), Crono Cross (I also got bored of this), Neon Genesis Evangelion... This one she may not like at first but will appreciate it after the second watch... Serial Experiments Lain, if she likes gory type stuff then Berserk (tell her to persist after Ep 1 it does get better!), Elfen Lied...

Yeah there is heaps of stuff i'm sure she'd enjoy.
    Last edited by Envy-DathRemar; 2013-01-11 at 12:12 PM.

Anime and Manga are pretty good in that, even in the series' that are marketed towards boys or girls, there's still a lot for the other gender to enjoy anyway. For example: I really enjoyed reading Gravitation, which is a shounen-ai manga typically marketed towards girls. I also know a lot of my female friends happen to enjoy Dragonball Z, or Bleach, which are the more typical 'boy' series'.

So honestly? Just show her the stuff you enjoy. Your passion for the show should hopefully pass off to her. If she doesn't like something, no worries, try something else. I find one of the worst things you can do is assume someone will like something because of their gender. That generally leads to accidental offense being taken, which is the worst thing you can do!

Getbackers, Full metal alchemist, might like One Piece (it'll be alot of catching up). I'd also recommend Gintama as a personal favourite. But I guess it all comes down to if she likes em.

Samurai Champloo, Outlaw star, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter(either the new or old), Fairy tail.
    Last edited by Protecus; 2013-01-11 at 12:11 PM.

Full Metal Alchemist.
    My old girl friend really liked that alot when I showed it to her.

most women i know who enjoy anime love cowboy bebop for some reason

Peeps...if she watch/read Onepiece or Dbz for that matter with me..... Words couldnt express how happy that make me.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orenstein View Post
    Full Metal Alchemist.
    My old girl friend really liked that alot when I showed it to her.
    I forgot about FMA! I'll show her that.

Baccano! and Durarara!! is two good animes that can appeal to a wider audience than just "anime fans".

They are made with an older audience in mind(Like death note), with deeper stories and strong characters. The art style is more modern, sort of a cross between anime and western style(Like death note). Each episode in these series is on its own just a short story about one of the characters, a fragment of the characters life. But as the story progress they tie these short stories together into a bigger picture, and thus a plot or red line appear.
    Last edited by Cerunnir; 2013-01-11 at 12:43 PM.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

"Anime" is a very broad term, and without knowing your girlfriend at all it's really impossible for us to tell you what she'd like or not like. You, however, seem to have a general idea of the kinds of things she does and doesn't like, so you might have more success asking more targetted questions like "She likes this kind of thing, any series that fits that mold" or "She really enjoyed this series, any others like it?" They don't even have to be anime related, knowing someone likes Quentin Tarantino (for example) would be a decent launch point.

Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark with the stuff that /we/ like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Wolf's Rain is one I liked, not a guarantee others will like it.

Been a while since I last saw it, I remember the plot being ten kinds of silly. But it had a lot of people from Cowboy Bebop on board, which is probably the reason I watched it in the first place.

But yeah, when in doubt: Cowboy Bebop.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

I forgot about FMA! I'll show her that.
    But please watch the newer version that's closer to the manga. So much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefang View Post
    But please watch the newer version that's closer to the manga. So much better.
    Oh i know. FMAB FTW

For instance. Within the realm of hiphop music. She listens to ALOT of mainstream.. I listen to Lupe, Tech N9ne, Kendrick, i think the only artist we both like is Kendrick..
    Not to derail anything, but how is tech n9ne not mainstream >.>