Thread: Starting again

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Starting again

Hello peeps

So I've been considering to give SWTOR another chance, since I've become tired with other games, and I just wanted to know from you active players if the game still is fun and has it become free like states some places on their website, or is the monthly subscription payment still essential to have fun playing the game?

Last - how is end game pve and pvp?

Regards
    Cirk

Deleted
    I don't play it, but from what I understand, if you choose to play without a subscription your account is limited to very few characters, very little content and like 5 warzones per week (think wow BGs), and other limitations. I wouldn't even consider playing a limited game like that without a sub, doesn't sound worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    I wouldn't even consider playing a limited game like that without a sub, doesn't sound worth it to me.
    Same, if those are the terms then no way - ty

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    I don't play it, but from what I understand, if you choose to play without a subscription your account is limited to very few characters, very little content and like 5 warzones per week (think wow BGs), and other limitations. I wouldn't even consider playing a limited game like that without a sub, doesn't sound worth it to me.
    I agree completely with this. F2P is basically hell. The limitations are crazy.
    Try out DCUO(they made it F2P). This game is succesful with F2P I mean the restrictions are fair but they dont go over the top with the restrictions such as no banking and reduced xp. Dcuo gives you a chance to enjoy the game and subscribe and buy downloadable content for more fun.
    ..but, I prefer SWTOR over DCUO but I cant enjoy the game. It's mainly because of reduced xp. You are basically being held back in the game. It's like this.
    DCUO: You are progressing and keeping up with the story and your level is following up with it.
    SWTOR: You are progressing but you come to a standstill because you cant move on the story because your level is too low(meaning you cant move on because the over enemies will over power you) so you have to struggle through flashpoints and lots of side quest. The side quest are a struggle too believe it or not. You're held back so much that completing side quest is sort of hard.

To sum it up, do not come back unless you're going to become a subscriber :|

I've played a limited amount of content since the F2P campaign started. You were limited to two character slots, but they have raised that to 6 for Preferred accounts (spent a minimum of $5) in the most recent patch. They have indeed limited the number of warzones you can participate in, and you are only eligible for loot during flashpoints three times a week. Free players are riddled with inconveniences, some of which they can pay a fee to unlock. EA restricts access to out of combat sprinting and eligibility for mounts until later levels, then reduces the XP you earn after you hit level 10. Extra action bars and cosmetic options, including a simple checkbox to hide your helmet, are also pay-for features

The news sites aren't misrepresenting the restrictions imposed upon players. The only difference between them is in their reporting, i.e. the tone of the post and the amount of anger it contains. Some will say that the planets in SWTOR are on a collision course with one another, others say that EA's restrictions are tolerable. It's up to you as a player to decide how much of a game-breaking issue the restrictions are.

Edit:
    Keep in mind that you can also buy many of the pay-for features through the GTN (AH) if you're willing to play long enough to earn the credits. On the flip side of that coin, there is a limit to the number of credits you can have on your character at any given time. If you go over the cap, they're permanently shifted into an escrow until you subscribe.
    Also: The only support free players get is in the form of an automated system. GMs generally can't help free players.
    Last edited by Alaira; 2013-01-11 at 12:57 PM.

I've been playing ToR as a preferred member (previous sub) and I don't find the restrictions all that bad.

If you want a story-based experience (think Knights of the Old Republic), playing free has a minimal impact on your enjoyment of it.

If you want to PvP, or run dungeons, or do space missions, a LOT, then you will run into the weekly cap. Honestly, as a pretty casual player I barely notice it at this point.

If you want more character stories to play through a simple trick is to sub for one month and make a full roster of 12 characters. When the sub expires and you revert to preferred status you keep all 12 characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently subbed to SWTOR. I tried playing it as F2P, and it took all of 5 minutes to become frustrated with the restrictions. The $15, while arguably not as valuable on paper as a subscrition to other MMO's (*cough*Rift*cough*), is worth it to me because I personally enjoy the content that IS available. I can't argue that everyone should feel this way though, and fully understand and support other players moving to other games or utilizing the F2P system.

I can't comment on endgame PvE as I still have yet to set foot in an Operation despite having 7 different 50's.

Endgame PvP is another story. It still has a ramp-up period where you get clobbered by people in better gear, but gearing up doesn't seem to be as long and arduous as it was previously. Ranked PvP is typically the same teams vs. each other as not many people participate in it. Class wise the PvP scene is dominated by Guardian/Juggernauts with Sweep/Smash specs and hybrid Sorcerers abusing a low-resolve generating stun that occurs whenever their bubble is broken by another player. Both are spoken as curses in the form of "Smashers" and "Bubble-Stuns". Outside of that, stuns and knockbacks are still very prevelant, and damage output is very high. Some people don't like it, but I really enjoy it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Egeldi View Post

If you want more character stories to play through a simple trick is to sub for one month and make a full roster of 12 characters. When the sub expires and you revert to preferred status you keep all 12 characters.
    But 6 of those will be inactive (you will have to pick which ones) so you can't trick the system like that. When you revert back to Preferred, you will only be able to play 6 characters, regardless if you made 12 when subbed.

Deleted
    I got to 50 during launch, lapsed but have kept informed about F2P. My impression is that F2P would be fine for getting to level 50. It would be a bit slower, but that may not be a bad thing as on launch, I outleveled planets at an insane rate. Some of restrictions on F2P lower quality of life a little, but are probably bearable.

However, my impression is that once you hit 50, it would be frustrating to be F2P, as epics, pvp and instances seem seriously restricted.

So if you want to play out a class story to 50, by all means, try F2P. If you like it and can play intensively, you might subscribe for a month to become preferred and have a month of leveling without quality of life restrictions. I'm very tempted to do this, where Blizzard not doing such a good job of making sure WoW players have something to do when they login, /sigh.

Deleted
    I've been playing ToR as a preferred member (previous sub)
    You're exactly the person I wanna ask some questions Do you keep artifact athorization after ending sub on your characters that were active during your sub? Do you keep an access to Ops? Access to Section X?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been a subscribers since early access and my account lapsed to FTP for a few days due to an accounting error. I will say this: if you enjoy endgame content a sub is a must. The couple days I was FTP was torture to the point where I didn't play until it was all ironed out.

I don't PVP at all so I have no real opinion on that. I find the endgame content to be challenging and engaging (guild is still 3/4 NiM EC, fucking Kephess....). If your in it just for the story then FTP may be the way to go. Either way I find the game very fun and plan to remain subbed for the long haul baring something serious that prevents me from raiding for any length of time.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

Come back as Sub or not at all.

The game is not worth it as F2P or Preferred (especially endgame).

If F2P is what is bringing you back Tera looks like its gonna do things right/better. Wait a month for that.

As a sub it's probably OK, same game with same bugs but some new content.

My opinion.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harrus View Post
    You're exactly the person I wanna ask some questions Do you keep artifact athorization after ending sub on your characters that were active during your sub? Do you keep an access to Ops? Access to Section X?
    -You only keep access to equipment you had before. New equipment dosn't count.
    - I doubt you'll have Section X access. I left the game before Section X and I am not able to enter it as a preferred account. Maybe if you logged off in there or something you'll still be able to go there but it is not automatically given to Preferred.
    -You won't keep access to ops

_you'll even be screwed on seemingly insignificant things. If you didn't display your headslot before, you'll keep it undisplayed BUT the moment you take it off and put it back on you'll never be able to unsee it again
    - Companions can have customizations BUT if you take it off you won't be able to put it back on (which makes viewing them in gear window impossible)

Anything they can take away from you they will. That's the rule of thumb with the F2P of this game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I got to 50 during launch, lapsed but have kept informed about F2P. My impression is that F2P would be fine for getting to level 50. It would be a bit slower, but that may not be a bad thing as on launch, I outleveled planets at an insane rate. Some of restrictions on F2P lower quality of life a little, but are probably bearable.
    "It would be a bit slower,"
    Yes.... ABIT

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BonniiSage View Post
    "It would be a bit slower,"
    Yes.... ABIT
    I forget what it is - 33% slower? 50% slower?

I actually really enjoyed leveling my JK after launch and was a little frustrated that I was about 5 level too high for the planet I was on when I was about 20. I had to skip most bonus missions. And I did virtually no instances, despite being a tank. (No LFD type tool at the time.) So I would not mind a somewhat slower leveling speed. Especially if reaching the end game meant it was game over for me as a F2P.

However, if leveling meant you ran out of quests and had to grind, I agree that would be a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrus View Post
    But 6 of those will be inactive (you will have to pick which ones) so you can't trick the system like that. When you revert back to Preferred, you will only be able to play 6 characters, regardless if you made 12 when subbed.
    Then my account is bugged or something, because it never asked me to pick 6 characters to keep active. I have access to all of them, even though my sub expired more than a month ago.

Then my account is bugged or something, because it never asked me to pick 6 characters to keep active. I have access to all of them, even though my sub expired more than a month ago.
    access limit started at 8th of January.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 04:18 AM ----------

I forget what it is - 33% slower? 50% slower?

I actually really enjoyed leveling my JK after launch and was a little frustrated that I was about 5 level too high for the planet I was on when I was about 20. I had to skip most bonus missions. And I did virtually no instances, despite being a tank. (No LFD type tool at the time.) So I would not mind a somewhat slower leveling speed. Especially if reaching the end game meant it was game over for me as a F2P.

However, if leveling meant you ran out of quests and had to grind, I agree that would be a deal breaker.
    20% and no rest xp. If you do all the quests(including the bonus quests) you will be slightly overleveled.

Free account isn't even worth it. Sub or don't bother, which is so stupid considering how the game is travelling. I still can't got over how disappointing it ended up being.

Deleted
    So I would not mind a somewhat slower leveling speed. Especially if reaching the end game meant it was game over for me as a F2P.
    You...do...not...know...what...you're....asking...for!

Everybody in here will have different points both valid and a few that might not be. The only real way to know if you will like it again is to give it a try. If you played before you will have access to most things and it should be close to what you remember. If you enjoy it you can resub or buy the features you want and may not have. Its free and takes about 4 hours to DL so all you really need is a small chunk of one day that you don't need your computer for much.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 01:22 AM ----------

They are letting ppl keep the toons they already had even if it is over the limit of 6. You will not be able to make more on the servers over 6 without deleting some though or subscribing and they are about to add a cartel option to buy more toon slots.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I resubbed 2 weeks ago.
    I read about the restrictions as a preferred player, and that was too much for me. When I quit SWTOR, my had guild split up and then MoP came out, which I wanted to try out. The people that left the guild were still playing, so when I resubbed they invited me to their guild and took me to operations.
    But I can't imagine playing with restrictions, it's subscribe to the game or not play at all.