Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Effect of new Xbox and Playstation consoles and new games developed.

I was watching some PC vs console videos at work today, i work graveyard so i don't have much to do, and a thought was bubbling through my head. With the New Microsoft console and new Sony console coming out (rumored) this year, and their upgraded processing and graphical power. Will this finally allow the gap between PC and console games to shrink a little.

By that i mean with upgraded hardware comes developers making games with better graphics and technology. As you all know, games are being ported left and right instead of truly being made for PC and the console. Were seeing a lot of mainstream games with very little graphical options other then resolution and some texture settings here and there.

If you check my signature, i would have what you would call a mid to high range desktop computer. No where near the best, but not a slouch either. Now if rumors are true, and also manufacturing cycles, the new consoles should have the last generation of GPUs the 6000's ect. That is still a major jump up from last generation consoles.

Even with the upgraded hardware, they are STILL generations behind. So with another 7 year cycle (average) PC's should be so far ahead at that point it wouldn't even be funny. There is a possibility of shorter console cycles from the future on.

Will we see PC games actually have the graphics that will bring our systems to there knees like when the first Crysis came out. Or will PC ports continue to be horrible bunched up Coding. Now that is my opinion on PC ports, i just think most good games now adays are lazy PC ports. Some exceptions, Far cry 3 for one.

What do you think is the Pc development future for true pc ports, or lazy console ports.
    Last edited by hitmanblood; 2013-01-11 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spell check and double post
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

10+ Year Old Account
    you seem to have posted twice or something.
    OT yeah id expect to see a jump in the quality of ports, i dont think it will be anything mindblowing though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    you seem to have posted twice or something.
    OT yeah id expect to see a jump in the quality of ports, i dont think it will be anything mindblowing though.
    Thank you i corrected that, do not know how that happened ;D
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanblood View Post
    Thank you i corrected that, do not know how that happened ;D
    You still have a double post in there. However, I really don't buy PC games for the graphics or anything. I more so buy them because I don't want to be caught going out buying an entire console that I'll have to replace completely whenever a new system comes out. I can upgrade my PC as needed rather than whenever the company decides I should. I also don't own a TV XD

We don't know the exact specs of the next Playstation and Xbox, but everything seams to suggest that they will be DX11, which means we will see a big difference in visual quality. However, making a game like the first Crysis isn't only about hardware, it requires a lot of money to get graphics of that level.

But I don't think we will see the new consoles from Sony and MS before the end of the year, some rumors even suggest the earliest would be Q1 2013 or even later, which means we have wait a year or longer.

Btw, neither are coming out this year. They are expected to be announced though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you, sorry no sleep in 2 days thanks again

Deleted
    There was a thread here a little while ago discussing it, one or two people suggested to expect a modest improvement in graphics capability but nothing ground breaking. Will have to wait and see when they are announced, or more importantly when they are actually running games and how it compares to the PC.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-01-11 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    You still have a double post in there. However, I really don't buy PC games for the graphics or anything. I more so buy them because I don't want to be caught going out buying an entire console that I'll have to replace completely whenever a new system comes out. I can upgrade my PC as needed rather than whenever the company decides I should. I also don't own a TV XD
    You still end up paying more money in the long run with a PC. The advantage of the PC is having the option to play at higher resolutions with more graphical options enabled, higher framerate and with superior peripherals.

I'm seeing a trinity APU trend here, betting the new consoles will be quite underwhelming compared to a PC. I hate consoles....

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XanaduNL View Post
    Btw, neither are coming out this year. They are expected to be announced though.
    both are expected to be released this year as far as i know..
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I'm seeing a trinity APU trend here, betting the new consoles will be quite underwhelming compared to a PC. I hate consoles....
    Well by the time the consoles come out they will be already FAR behind current computer capabilities, i can only imagine the gap 5 years from now.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    it seems as if the ps4 will actually be crossfired with the apu + 6670 gpu. pretty interesting imo. interested to see how these last in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanblood View Post
    Well by the time the consoles come out they will be already FAR behind current computer capabilities, i can only imagine the gap 5 years from now.
    they will be in a similar place as they are now, luckily for them they can optimize for a specific set unlike PCs that make them last this long.

i guess i should throw in the common disclaimer, im far from a console fanboy, i havent touched my ps3 in years.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I am not buying them for graphics either, but feels kind of unsatisfying to have texture resolutions from 2005 on 2012/3 games that still only give me 50-60 FPS, meaning they are HORRIBLY unoptimized. Controls are horrible, little to no customization of anything option-wise(Such as FOV, keybinds, (good)mouse+keyboard support are lacking in most ports) are also major issues.

Deleted
    Well, there is a rumor on a chinese forum that the new xbox will have:
    An AMD 8 core CPU
    An 8xxx series GPU
    8 Gb of ram
    640 GB HDD
    Runs on a W8 kernel

Guy says he worked at ubisoft, so thats why he knows the specs. Take it with some salt

Anyway, usually when a new generation comes. The consoles are a bit ahead of the PC , while during the cycle the PC catches up. But we will see how it goes.

E3 this year, I'd expect Microsoft to be announcing the Xbox 3's release for the holiday season. I expect Sony to announce a console for Summer next year. Even that's a bit early for Sony's standard console 'cycle', however, they simply can't afford to let Microsoft get another solid head start of a year or more on them again.

In general I'm expecting texture quality to rise greatly, DX 10/11 effects to start becoming prominent, as opposed to their currently fairly sparse usage and finally I'd expect an increase in world density in games - more characters, with higher detail, more interaction, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if some games by the end of the next generation of consoles are near photo realistic. The gen after that will probably close the power gap. PC's will always be more powerful, but at a certain point there won't be a noticeable difference in games aside from if your using a controller, or a mouse and keyboard.

I believe one of the rumors is that the PS4 has a 7970 inside, but the Xbox 720 extra RAM
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

No. however most pc games are held back alot because of consoles. so console quality goes up pc ports start to look even better.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    both are expected to be released this year as far as i know..
    no. there is almost always a year between announcement and release at this point the earliest it will come out is early 2014 otherwise we wouldve found out more by now and there wouldve been more leaks
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    consoles have never been able to catch up to PC, PS1 games from 1997 were still behind PC games from 1995, hell, look at zork compared to an atari

but consoles do have a few advantages, they are cheap compared to PC, and rarely need to be upgraded, yes it's true that when a new console comes out, you have to buy a new one, but if you wait 7 years to upgrade your computer, you have to buy a new one as well

there was a short time when gaming on a console was better than on a PC, i would say 1997-2005 with the PSX and PS2, when you simply popped a disc in and played (and actually had fun because they made better games than they do today)

the downturn with consoles came with the PS3 and 360, and will get worse, much worse with the upcoming consoles, no longer do you just pop a game in and have fun for a while, now you have to wait for patches, DLC, and the actual rest of the game to download because the developers released the game before it was finished, no longer does button mashing eddy gordo or maxi work because they just balance patch after enough people complain, then of course there is the call of duty problem, which means that there no longer exists any advantage of owning a console over a PC, you could argue price, but the current gen of consoles has been crap for quality, red rings and red LEDs generally after two years of use and you have to buy a new one, the cost of 4 360s is not cheaper than a computer

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I am not buying them for graphics either, but feels kind of unsatisfying to have texture resolutions from 2005 on 2012/3 games that still only give me 50-60 FPS, meaning they are HORRIBLY unoptimized. Controls are horrible, little to no customization of anything option-wise(Such as FOV, keybinds, (good)mouse+keyboard support are lacking in most ports) are also major issues.
    you just described WoW