Thread: Which DPS spec

Deleted

Which DPS spec

Hi guys, just a simple question really.

Since hitting 90 I've only been focusing on tanking gear and only played as blood.

Basically which of the 3 DPS "specs" ie Unholy, 2H Frost, DW Frost is going to be best to play as currently (mainly for dailies/LFR). I've played both before and really dont have a preference on which one.

Deleted
    The one you know / enjoy the most.

Deleted
    Well I always say to test everything and go with what feels good for you.

I lack good 1 handers for dual wield and I don't like 2h frost in MOP following the change to might of the frozen wastes and threat of tharassian.

As a 2h user OB is often on cd when KM procs and all too often I must hit with weak frost strikes, its not a good feeling.

So I am now enjoying unholy and looking forward to the 5.2 buffs.

I'm not familiar with all specs (specifically unholy), but this is what I'm gathering.

If you like pets, Unholy.

If you like spamming howling blast and AOE, DW Frost.

If you like hitting hard on single, not AS good, but still good AOE, 2H Frost.

Ill be honest, UH isnt the greatest currently, just playing around with, it was doing much lower numbers with my gear (493 ilevel) around ~15k or so, the ramp up time is just horrible with the spec currently, and is one of the biggest issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulletor View Post
    Basically which of the 3 DPS "specs" ie Unholy, 2H Frost, DW Frost is going to be best to play as currently (mainly for dailies/LFR). I've played both before and really dont have a preference on which one.
    For dailies and lfr, it really doesn't matter, play which ever one you like more.

I prefer unholy, but if you have no preference at all, id say prolly 2 handed frost. 1 min cd is good for dailies, hits hard, and bursty and doesn't have to deal with charging timmy.

If you truly have no preference, go with what loot favors you. I wouldnt recommend unholy untill 5.2, the multiple quality of life changes are on their way for a reason.

Deleted
    for performance in raids usually dw masterfrost is a lot better then 2 hander frost. i enjoy playing 2 handers more but the fact is that whenever adds come into play dw is much better

It really just depends on your skill cap and what you enjoy. If you are able to track everything and able to play any spec to the best of its ability, then it doesn't matter which you play. They all are decently close in numbers, since rank 1/ server 1st isn't your main concern. DW is going to have the easiest priority rotation (slightly harder if able to "game" your rune), and net you the highest AOE dps. 2H-Frost seems to have the most downtime with a clunky execute, not to mention frost in general having fewer cds to manage instead of unholy, but it will hit hardest single target depending on your ilvl obviously. Unholy is going to be the most difficult of the 3 imo but most fun overall; due to tracking multiple cds, a pet to manage, it's more difficult to target switch (until 5.2). Its dps at the moment will lack that of its Frost counter-part though. Just mess around with all 3 and choose which ever fits your play style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like everyone says....Whatever you enjoy. I prefer Unholy but I play frost since my gear has gotten a lot better, questing/dailies seems real trivial. A few howling blast and things die. While in Unholy it takes a few extra hits. So play what you enjoy the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Conatzer View Post
    Ill be honest, UH isnt the greatest currently, just playing around with, it was doing much lower numbers with my gear (493 ilevel) around ~15k or so, the ramp up time is just horrible with the spec currently, and is one of the biggest issues.
    Yet I can say the opposite and say that frost (dw or 2hander) is significantly lower then Unholy. It's because I am used to Unholy, know the rotation without thinking, and know the little things to do to make it push max possible deeps. While with Frost, I just (barely) know the rotation/priority, so no matter how I go about it I would do less dps as frost then Unholy.

Right now since the tier is changing over soon I would say just play what you want, until the tier set bonus's are set in stone and we get some testing with it on all the specs then we won't know who is "best" in 5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Conatzer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Yet I can say the opposite and say that frost (dw or 2hander) is significantly lower then Unholy. It's because I am used to Unholy, know the rotation without thinking, and know the little things to do to make it push max possible deeps. While with Frost, I just (barely) know the rotation/priority, so no matter how I go about it I would do less dps as frost then Unholy.

Right now since the tier is changing over soon I would say just play what you want, until the tier set bonus's are set in stone and we get some testing with it on all the specs then we won't know who is "best" in 5.2.
    We're talking about someone who doesn't know either. Right now the overwhelming majority of players are Frost. It doesn't matter whether any one person is specifically better at Frost or Unholy, for a new player picking up one of the specs from scratch the one that is "better" at the moment is Frost, all tools and all data seem to point to it.

Going from http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ the results are showing Frost as being #6, and Unholy as being #19.

Going from simulationcraft http://www.simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html the results show 1h Frost being 500 DPS above 2h Frost, and 2h Frost being about 6k dps above Unholy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyk View Post
    We're talking about someone who doesn't know either. Right now the overwhelming majority of players are Frost. It doesn't matter whether any one person is specifically better at Frost or Unholy, for a new player picking up one of the specs from scratch the one that is "better" at the moment is Frost, all tools and all data seem to point to it.

Going from http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ the results are showing Frost as being #6, and Unholy as being #19.

Going from simulationcraft http://www.simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html the results show 1h Frost being 500 DPS above 2h Frost, and 2h Frost being about 6k dps above Unholy.

Simcraft doesn't snapshot diseases correctly IIRC, and raidbots isn't the best thing to go by seeing as so few people play unholy atm. That link shows the top 1,600 parses from each spec - unholy doesn't even have 1,600 to choose from. If you list by "all parses for the last month" then you come up with 23,095 frost parses and 2,440 unholy parses... but, more importantly by taking from a larger pool of good and bad players (not just the top 100) you get frost at 9th place and unholy at 10th place, separated by a pretty small amount.

Frost is slightly ahead and most of the boss mechanics this tier have favoured quick swapping, high burst specs (frost) but Unholy isn't as bad as people make out

Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    Frost is slightly ahead and most of the boss mechanics this tier have favoured quick swapping, high burst specs (frost) but Unholy isn't as bad as people make out
    Agreed, really it will come down to player skill in this matter. I play Unholy, backwards, but that is my spec, while we have another dk who is 2hand frost. We have almost identical gear (not counting stat reforges gems ect) both have LFR sha weapon with gem and yet I will consitently beat him in dps/dmg done. Not saying he isn't a good player, he is great, but it just seems I am able to play my spec better then he plays his, to be able to beat him despite Unholy's downside's.
    And as a long time Unholy player, the "long ramp up time" and all those complaints are barely noticed by me. I think that is mainly what detour's people from playing it, along with the pet, but really it's not bad.