Deleted

Java plugin security breach

I read an article today saying something about some java plugin that could compromise your bank account. It said that top american experts suggested to remove java completley (not the program, but the plugins). Most sites no longer requires java so disabling wouldnt be a major problem, but if you need it you should use a secound browser with java still enabled.

My question is: After reading a comment on the article, some guy said that people with a working anti-virus shouldnt be worried. The anti virus program can handle these things.

I'm using Windows Essentials atm. Do I need to disable Java or am I safe to leave it the way it is?

Thanks for any help.

Get NoScript. It disables java, but easily allows you to re-enable it for certain things. Works wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Java is a plugin like Flash player. If you have the plugin installed and allow some website to use all plugins, it is a security hole. You don't have to download anything or accept anything, just visiting a site that uses Java can get your computer compromised and there's very little AV programs can do.

Also notice that Java and JavaScript are two entirely different things, JS is lot more limited and it can't be used to run anything on your computer, only inside the web browser. Java on the other hand can be used to run full programs on your computer without any protection from web browser.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If you have Anti-virus/firewall software that enables secure browsing while in https adresses, java plugin breach shouldn't affect you.

I have F-Secure 2013 and it always makes a small popup with "Banking protection active" text which basically secures the line fully if my dad needs to use the Internet bank for paying bills etc.