Deleted

My PSU blew up...

Good evening (from here),

My PSU just exploded, with a quite literal BANG noise. It wasn't a pleasant sound, nor was the smell I got after. I have no spare PC here, so I can't check if other things are fried as well...
    I'm going to pick up a new PSU tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to look out for when buying one. I know I'd like a 550w Bronze Certified one of a respectable brand (now).

What I think I need:
    2 plugs for my GPU (2x6 I believe)
    2 for my mainboard (1 large, one medium) - I think!
    3 for HDD"s
    1 for dvd
    1 for fans.

I also like Modular. But the main thing I'm not sure about is the "ATX" or such parts. I think these are important for the GPU?
    I'm looking at:
    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/279914/xfx-pro-550w.html
    atm. Not too much power, 80+ cert, decent price. This one says "Voedingtype ATX12V, EPS12V"

Or
    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/22726...-pro-700w.html
    Which is modular and just has more of everything. Also "ATX12V 2.2, EPS12V"

if the place your going to pick one up from has a service desk where they service pc's i'd just take your pc in and ask them to test it if it blew out with the large bang like you said.. it will cost a bit more then just the PSU but they likely can test your components to see if its even going to power on with a spare they have laying around for testing... plu they can answer all your questions on which connectors you need for your current hardware since you dont know..

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is... We can advise you all we want, but that won't change what is available locally. Look for brands like Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, Corsair... Avoid Raidmax.

Most 500+ power supplies will have all the main stuff... it's just a matter of whether or not they have all the plugs for all your drives, in which case all you have to do is... look at it. Local stores usually have pretty limited supply, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The problem is... We can advise you all we want, but that won't change what is available locally. Look for brands like Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, Corsair... Avoid Raidmax.

Most 500+ power supplies will have all the main stuff... it's just a matter of whether or not they have all the plugs for all your drives, in which case all you have to do is... look at it. Local stores usually have pretty limited supply, though.
    It's a pretty big store, so they have quite a bit of stock. I'm mainly worried about the type of connectors I need, like the ATX/EPS they talk about.

I had a Tagan btw. Never heard of, worked fine for 6 years, but out of nowhere, poof

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit confusing. Pretty much all new power supplies are TECHNICALLY EPS ones. There is just little marketing distinction between the two, because it only causes more confusion. EPS has 24 pin power supplies (which ALL motherboards have now), and 8 pin 12v as well (some motherboards have 8pin but are more rare. All motherboards have 4 pin, and all ATX and EPS have at least 4 pin. EPS also have PCI-E 6pin connectors, which almost all power supplies have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    My PSU just exploded, with a quite literal BANG noise. It wasn't a pleasant sound, nor was the smell I got after. I have no spare PC here, so I can't check if other things are fried as well...
    Brand and model?

If you like modular PSUs, it looks like the cheapest one is the Seasonic M12ii 520W.

Recommended PSUs Heres a nice list of psus try to find something in the 500+ range if you were looking for a 550.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014