Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tawney View Post
    After reading through this thread it makes me wander why it is that people from the EU are seemingly happy living with overbearing governments? It seems from someone looking in that your daily life is completley contolled by your gov. I wander if the reason a lot of your folks are happy with your gun laws due to living in more of a urban environment rather then rural? I know in the US most of the anti gun folks are from the city and most of the pro gun folks from the more rural parts where they grew up hunting or shooting and as such feel more comfortable with it. I dont know and im just asking if anyone can answer this?
    I'm currently a police officer while i finish school. There's a huge cultural difference between the EU and US, for one... i'm never scared somebody will have a firearm when i pull them over nor have i ever searched a car becuase there might be one. People don't fear the government even though my own country loves to bend over the last few years when the prime minister decides to call bullshit on anything he was elected for an decides to fist us in the anus real good and real hard, people just take it since we're cowards. Most people that own firearms here do tend to live on the country side because you need land to hunt... either own it or be registered as a hunter on a certain piece of land (honestly it's not hard to get that, you can pay the owner like 50 euro's a year and he'll sign you). That's how i got my hunting license in The Netherlands before signing in Sweden. The government only does background checks (mental and criminal). This doesn't mean that you can't own firearms if you went to see a shrink as this is private... mental checks mean being put in a mental hospital because you're a threat to society or you're a drug addict.

In Hamburg, where i live, the police looks like this:

And yes, thats an MP5

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    We have armed teams, but regular on patrol police don't carry guns.
    aye I know, just wondered how a local police station would deal with it generally. I had an experience with the airport police at Heathrow when I was in London the first time(1994 I think it was, same year it was the WC in football in USA), I was only a kid , my mother had bought me a toy gun at Hamley's and it was in the hand luggage so it showed up in the scanner, not a smart idea rofl, so they came rushing in with H&Ks and body armour ;P. We got on our plane once they noticed it was a orange toy gun though!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    aye I know, just wondered how a local police station would deal with it generally. I had an experience with the airport police at Heathrow when I was in London the first time(1994 I think it was, same year it was the WC in football in USA), I was only a kid , my mother had bought me a toy gun at Hamley's and it was in the hand luggage so it showed up in the scanner, not a smart idea rofl, so they came rushing in with H&Ks and body armour ;P. We got on our plane once they noticed it was a orange toy gun though! rofl
    Yeah Heathrows a bit different, when there is terrorist scare on you will see very visible Military Police on every corner. I think Heathrow may still be the busiest airport in the world? So yeah, gotta treat it a bit carefully!
    [08:44:11] Kurioxan: as long they get big im alright with that

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=MMOC-GenOT

Old God
    Yeah Heathrows a bit different, when there is terrorist scare on you will see very visible Military Police on every corner. I think Heathrow may still be the busiest airport in the world? So yeah, gotta treat it a bit carefully!
    Yeah I think it is, unless it's Frankfurt or an airport in the US?

Doesn't matter though, quite a funny memory in retrospect!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

At one point we even had Armoured Personnel Carriers outside Heathrow just after the terrorist attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    USA has more people. But if you check the per 100,000 population statistics then you see that Germany has a 0.8 annual rate of homicide by any means per 100,000 population while USA has 5.27. That means statistically it's 660 percent more likely to get murdered in the USA than in Germany (by any means - so not only by guns).

source: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

If you only check murder-by-gun it's 3.59 (USA) vs. 0.2 (Germany). That's 17.95 times.

In other words:
    It's 1795% more likely to get in shot in USA than in Germany.
    Yeah well you could make the same comparison between Montana and California. Much more likely to be shot in California.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    At one point we even had Armoured Personnel Carriers outside Heathrow just after the terrorist attacks.
    This was during the "troubles" I guess? When did they end? Early 90s? Or was it after the terror attacks in 2000-something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    This was during the "troubles" I guess? When did they end? Early 90s? Or was it after the terror attacks in 2000-something?
    I think we had them their in the 2000s
    [08:44:11] Kurioxan: as long they get big im alright with that

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=MMOC-GenOT

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'm curious to know what somebody from Japan has.

Too bad WoW (or most of any MMORPG/PC game) isn't out in Japan. :P
    Japanese tourists who fire off a few rounds at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club would be breaking three separate laws back in Japan -- one for holding a handgun, one for possessing unlicensed bullets, and another violation for firing them -- the first of which alone is punishable by one to ten years in jail.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...deaths/260189/

I can't be bothered double-checking all of this because it's a hassle to browse Japanaese websites. >>

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'm curious to know what somebody from Japan has.

Too bad WoW (or most of any MMORPG/PC game) isn't out in Japan. :P
    It is, it just isn't popular.

I think its like Sweden's

australia has pretty draconian laws.
    butterfly knives and switchblades are illegal, to own a handgun you need to have been a member of a pistol shooting club 6 months
    to own a rimfire rifle, a shotgun, or even a fucking air rifle or paintball marker, you need to demonstrate "genuine reason"
    for a centrefire rifle you need to prove why a rimfire is not suitable, and anything else is extremely hard to get.

even spring action BB guns that fire plastic pellets are illegal up here, fully retarded.
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    So, how are gun laws where you live, and how to do you feel about them? There are too many threads focusing on the US alone, lets have one that focuses on other places.
    Have fun translating from Danish

https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms...d=142859&exp=1

You are not allowed to, without permission/license, own guns or explosives, knives or teeth, hands feet.. ok maybe you are allowed to own teeth, hands and feet, they have not gotten round to that yet. And maybe permission to own knives is implied as long as you keep them at home.

We do not in reality strictly speaking have gun laws. We have weapon laws. Weapon and Explosives obviously

This law is rather prohibitive, for example it is prohibited to 'import, export, transport, acquire, transfer ownership of, possess, carry, use, manufacture, develop or for the purposes of creation research chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear weapons' I cry myself to sleep over restrictions like that.. obviously. Or not. To be honest mostly not. WTF do they even think they have to say that explicitly for? I mean is it not obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    australia has pretty draconian laws.
    butterfly knives and switchblades are illegal, to own a handgun you need to have been a member of a pistol shooting club 6 months
    to own a rimfire rifle, a shotgun, or even a fucking air rifle or paintball marker, you need to demonstrate "genuine reason"
    for a centrefire rifle you need to prove why a rimfire is not suitable, and anything else is extremely hard to get.

even spring action BB guns that fire plastic pellets are illegal up here, fully retarded.
    Gasp, knife regulation. Its like those gun control thread fallacies come to life.

Norway

You can buy and register a shotgun at 16, (if you have attended a seminar ~ 20 hours or so regarding hunting small/big game). Hunting rifles are 18 I believe.

Non hunting weapons you have to be a member of a gun-club to own.

Also, quite a few discharged from their year of service in the army/navy/air force end up in the national guard and have semi-automatic's with ammo at home.

Precious few gun deaths in Norway, (apart from the horrendus act by Brevik).

Romania

For a hunting weapon you can apply only after you register a hunter. A "hefty" file you need to submit, if it's approved (by minister) you are limited by ammunition per rifle also by season to be used just like any other hunting or fishing.

For non-lethal guns (with rubber bulelts, gas) you need to submit a file to get the permit. Yes even for this type of guns you need and the file is a thorough one with about 8 different medical exams charts needed and a lot of other stuffs. On top of that you have to ping-pong between two insitutions, one gives you the permit and the other one gives you the paper that you can buy a weapon. The paper has a deadline, like a limit and you are required within 3 months to purchase the weapon and verify it. Cost is not that much taxes are about 100euro and the non-lethal guns go for about 200euro+.

For lethal guns you can't apply as a regular citizen. Only a selected few based on their jobs can apply for this, as policemens, judges and a few other. They are requied to have training, are issued a permit and gun, same as non-lethal guns they are required to register the gun serial no.

All this makes it that we barely have any guns on our streets, legal or non legal. For the vast majority of criminals the lethal gun is to expensive and hard to come by, so they mostly use the non-lethal ones. They can of course be lethal if you target some soft part at close range but still safer then a lethal gun.

We are at 0.7 guns per 100 residents, so when we do have a real shooting it's all over the news.

The biggest different compeer to US vs the rest of the "west" is that US are very generous how much force/violence you may use in self-defence. To actually be allow to shoot (or point a gun) in the name of self-defence in the rest of the "west" requires extreme danger, and it must be a "real" threat. That lower the cycle of violence compeer to US.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Knifes are also regulated. You are not allowed to carry a big knife with you. Butterflys and Switchblades are also illegal.
    Really? I could buy a Butterfly when I was like 14 years old and I still have it lying around here somewhere

Strict gun laws here in Israel, a background check is stretched over a long time (officers who discharged with the rank of captain do not need to go through it though ), regular attendance at the shooting range is requiered and renewal of license every 3 years, you may not keep more then 50 cartridges for any given firearm in possession.