Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The laws are pretty strict here in Australia. Approximately 5.2% of Australia's adult population own and use firearms for hunting and sports.

From Wikipedia:

Category A: Rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball markers. A "Genuine Reason" must be provided for a Category A firearm.
    Category B: Centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901. Apart from a "Genuine Reason", a "Genuine Need" must be demonstrated, including why a Category A firearm would not be suitable.
    Category C: Semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. Category C firearms are strongly restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms.

After that there is category D, H and R/E, D and H being handguns and semi-auto/pump action shotguns which are only available to government agencies, police etc. R/E is restricted, assault rifles etc.

Almost total ban, you need to go through a lot of hoops to get one, be declared sane, get a permit, fill 100 papers etc.

In Romania, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2009: 37

This counts police killings too.

But in terms of homicides:
    In Romania, annual firearm homicides total

2010: 9
    2009: 12
    2008: 6
    2007: 11
    2006: 11
    2005: 16
    2004: 19
    2003: 17
    2002: 23
    2001: 17
    2000: 22
    1999: 19

Some of these however are hunting accidents.

In Romania, civilians are not allowed to possess automatic firearms, firearms disguised as other objects, and armour-piercing, incendiary and expanding ammunition
    Regulation of Automatic Assault Weapons
    In Romania, private possession of fully automatic weapons is prohibited, with only narrow exemptions for persons exercising \\\'public authority\\\

Regulation of Semiautomatic Assault Weapons
    In Romania, private possession of semi-automatic assault weapons is prohibited, with only narrow exemptions for persons exercising \\\'public authority\\\
    Regulation of Handguns
    In Romania, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is prohibited with only narrow exemptions for persons exercising \\\'public authority\\\

Wow, it's even more restrictive then I thought! Good.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/romania

Oh yes, and I'm happy of how the law is.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    In Hamburg, where i live, the police looks like this:

And yes, thats an MP5
    Hamburg is special since they had a crazy major who wanted his police to look US style. As a "Hansestadt" they also have different laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    So if someone breaks into your house youre supposed to tell him to wait a few minutes so you can run to your gun safe, unlock it, find the ammo, load your gun and then he can proceed so you can defend yourself? So asinine
    If you're keeping a loaded gun in your house, unsecured, you're a danger to anyone and everyone who lives with you. I hope to bacon you don't have kids, because then it moves from "incredibly risky and unsafe behaviour" to "gross negligence that is arguably grounds enough to get Child Services involved".

This isn't about being pro- or anti-gun. It's about basic gun safety. NEVER store a gun while it's loaded. Never leave a gun unsecured. "Secured" means with either a locking mechanism attached preventing the trigger being pulled, or secured in a gun safe or rack that is itself locked. These are basic concepts as fundamental to gun safety as "don't point a loaded gun at anything you don't want to kill", or "don't look down the barrel while it's loaded".

Yes, if someone breaks into your house, you'll need a few seconds to open the gun safe, grab the weapon and a magazine, and load it. Because the alternative is leaving your gun where your toddler can wander into your room, grab it, and play bangbang.

Even the NRA abide by and insist on these safety measures. If you're not using them, you're endangering everyone in your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean, but there is a lot of posetives about it as well, from what I've read a lot of legally owned and bought weapons in the US gets stolen in break ins for example and then sold on the street to criminals, so keeping the guns safe would help keeping the law abiding citizen safe and in a way it would also protect your 2nd amendment/gun rights from getting so harshly scrutinzed, it would admittedly make it harder for a person like that in your example though.

There are pros and cons with most things I guess, I personally think there are mostly pros with it, but we don't really have the same "mentality"(in lack of better word) when it comes to guns here.
    There IS a law that all firearms sold by a dealer must include a locking device. Even a simple padlock can disable a gun, though of course depending on the lock it would be easy enough to cut off later on. It's more of a "child restraint" law. I do agree that a responsible gun owner keeps his stuff secure, but it can be expensive. It would be nice if they'd make cheaper options. (there are handgun safes that are affordable, though again you may get into the semantics of what "secure" would mean for any law passed.)

Hi.
    In NZ where i live our gun laws allow bolt-actions both single shot and magazine-fed ones,shotguns break action,pump and semi-auto,blackpower muskets and semi-auto rifles limited to a seven round magazine for semi-auto rifles or shotguns that have one or more of the following:A folding or telescopic butt
    A bayonet lug
    A military pattern free-standing pistol grip
    A flash suppressor
    A magazine that holds (or looks like it could hold) more than 15 rounds of .22 rimfire ammunition or 7 rounds of a centrefire calibre
    and you need a 'b' category endorsment for pistols and revolvers and must have attended 12 pistol shoots in 6 months before applying for an endorsment.But our laws work really well because there's not many incidents involving deliberate shooting most of the firearms incidents involve hunters accidently shooting the partner they're hunting with.
    Last edited by Imperialsniper; 2013-01-13 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling correction

3 catagories:
    1 illegal weapons :
    - obviously military weapons (assault rifles, machine guns, ...)
    -Jump and flick knives with lock (including cutting knives or stilleto's), butterfly knives, throwing knives, throwing stars, brass knuckles
    -nunchucks
    -firearms or knives modified for concealed carry (knife in belt, swordsticks, ...)
    -'selfdefence' sprays: pepperspray, teargas,... (the word selfdefence is litterary between quotationmarks )
    -elecktroshock weapons
    -silencers (or other modifications)

2 OTC weapons:
    -weapons with another drive mechanism: crossbows, most pneumatic weapons,...
    -flareguns and other alarm signal 'weapons'
    -historical weapons
    -weapons that are made unusable by a commission (for collectors)
    (For carry'ing one you need a legitimate reason tough)

3 weapons that require a license:
    -all other firearms that don't fall in the above listed categories.

License for firearms:
    You can only get a firearm under strict condition, the applicant needs a valid reason (being threatened by criminals, hunting,...)

source: http://www.lokalepolitie.be/5421/wapenwet.html

I'm quite happy with the law, I don't feel the need to own weapons (well I have a knife, every boy needs a knife, but I just use it to open packaging)
    Last edited by JfmC; 2013-01-13 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    I'm proud to be xenophobic.
    Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Leaving the EU would not in any way pose a negative impact on the UK's economy or means/ability to trade with countries within the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    UK here, happy at the level of gun control in this country. The Police even asked for weapons and everyone turned around and said "No way!"

Even as a member of the UK Military the level of regulation around our use of weapons are really high.

What happens the next time your Police ask for weapons, everyone cries "No way!" and the Police respond "So what?".

Seriously what happens? I mean, never in the history of Europe has a disarmed civilian population been held hostage by an armed government, amirite? Also, from what I gather terrible stuff seems to happen that this disarmed civilian population never seem to notice.
    Last edited by Frenegade42; 2013-01-13 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    What happens the next time your Police ask for weapons, everyone cries "No way!" and the Police respond "So what?".

Seriously what happens? I mean, never in the history of Europe has a disarmed civilian population been held hostage by an armed government, amirite? Also, from what I gather terrible stuff seems to happen that this disarmed civilian population never seem to notice.
    Make sure to prepare your tinfoil hat! There is no valid argument where you should be able to own a gun just so you can protect agaist your government. This isn't the wild west, we are no cowboys, it's the 21th centuty with laws/systems in place. And if you even want to go that way, if a state wants to become a police state it's always done via army and no ammount of guns you legaly own can held it up againts army grade weapons. This is valid in US and any other country in the world, you stand 0 chance as a people militia against the army.

And even if you dislike the government that much you are free to relocate anywhere in EU or anywhere else on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you're keeping a loaded gun in your house, unsecured, you're a danger to anyone and everyone who lives with you. I hope to bacon you don't have kids, because then it moves from "incredibly risky and unsafe behaviour" to "gross negligence that is arguably grounds enough to get Child Services involved".

This isn't about being pro- or anti-gun. It's about basic gun safety. NEVER store a gun while it's loaded. Never leave a gun unsecured. "Secured" means with either a locking mechanism attached preventing the trigger being pulled, or secured in a gun safe or rack that is itself locked. These are basic concepts as fundamental to gun safety as "don't point a loaded gun at anything you don't want to kill", or "don't look down the barrel while it's loaded".

Yes, if someone breaks into your house, you'll need a few seconds to open the gun safe, grab the weapon and a magazine, and load it. Because the alternative is leaving your gun where your toddler can wander into your room, grab it, and play bangbang.

Even the NRA abide by and insist on these safety measures. If you're not using them, you're endangering everyone in your house.
    I do not have kids however, if I did, they would be taught to respect guns and how to properly use one and how NOT to use one. I also would keep any room that contain a gun locked so they cannot access it. As I live by myself I see no problem leaving a loaded gun laying on my nightstand to protect myself in case someone comes in my home and tries to commit a crime against me. Guns do have safeties to prevent them from going off unintended

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    Make sure to prepare your tinfoil hat! There is no valid argument where you should be able to own a gun just so you can protect agaist your government. This isn't the wild west, we are no cowboys, it's the 21th centuty with laws/systems in place. And if you even want to go that way, if a state wants to become a police state it's always done via army and no ammount of guns you legaly own can held it up againts army grade weapons. This is valid in US and any other country in the world, you stand 0 chance as a people militia against the army.

And even if you dislike the government that much you are free to relocate anywhere in EU or anywhere else on the world.
    The people of Egypt, Syria, and Libya would like to disagree with you

I do not have kids however, if I did, they would be taught to respect guns and how to properly use one and how NOT to use one. I also would keep any room that contain a gun locked so they cannot access it. As I live by myself I see no problem leaving a loaded gun laying on my nightstand to protect myself in case someone comes in my home and tries to commit a crime against me. Guns do have safeties to prevent them from going off unintended
    Thing is about "leaving a loaded gun laying on your nightstand" is that when a burgler comes it and you are in another room, he spots it and takes it. So the protection is there so only you know where the gun is and where the ammo is. By letting it just be loaded all the time you defeat the purpose, not to mention endanger yourself. Dunno how regulated it's the states but here or in most other countries you get fined or even your license revoked if you did that.

And in regards to well "how am I supossed to load the gun if the guy comes in", well thats the thing that makes the gun the last weapon of choice for you to survive. Even if you have one you should not show it off randomly or even inteded to use unless you have done other actions before, making the gun the last way out.

But thenagain the americans were the ones that came up with "shoot first, ask questions later". Is that type of mentality that needs to change or you will just have the same gun incidents occur each time, even going up as rate.

The people of Egypt, Syria, and Libya would like to disagree with you
    I hope you realize those where dictatorships? Last time I checked the US nor any of the EU countries have ruling dictators. The closest thing we have to dictators are multibillion company's.

You have displayed your will of being a freedomfighter and a brave soldier now often enough I think, maybe its time that you grow up and start living in reality.

Also do you know the phrase "if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword" ? I'm not saying you shouldn't keep a loaded weapon by your nightstand, I only say that you should educate yourself some more, starting with history, politics and geography (and maybe some philsosophy and or deontology).

Common sense is also a good thrait to have, altough I don't know if it can be taught, well you could start by thinking for yourself and not parroting political party's and the NRA
    Leaving the EU would not in any way pose a negative impact on the UK's economy or means/ability to trade with countries within the EU.

As I live by myself I see no problem leaving a loaded gun laying on my nightstand to protect myself in case someone comes in my home and tries to commit a crime against me. Guns do have safeties to prevent them from going off unintended
    For your own safety and the safety of your neighbours and loved ones, for the love of bacon go and take a basic gun safety and handling course. If you can't take the time to load your weapon, you aren't fully awake yet and can't make an informed decision. This is how people end up shooting their friend/brother who snuck into their house to play a prank.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post

Seriously what happens? I mean, never in the history of Europe has a disarmed civilian population been held hostage by an armed government, amirite?
    What are you babbling about? Reqq is talking about how British police are not normally armed. Seriously, read the post you're quoting before going off on your political grandstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Care to support that statement?

My country, Sweden, as you might've read in this thread, is 5th on the list of most weapons in relation to how many citizens we have. But we have very few gun crimes, and the gun crimes we do have are only committed by organized crime. We even had a goldsmith robbery last week in which the robbers had fake guns, just because they can't get access to the real deal.
    In the US, gun crimes and massacres even, are committed by every day people. That, is a difference you must remember.
    Actually, the suspects in the robbery you're talking about had several real guns. However, the guy who pointed his AK-47 at the police didn't have a real one. It should also be mentioned that several of the suspects have in the past been arrested for illegal possession of firearms.
    I am the Kwisatz Haderach

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Actually, the suspects in the robbery you're talking about had several real guns. However, the guy who pointed his AK-47 at the police didn't have a real one. It should also be mentioned that several of the suspects have in the past been arrested for illegal possession of firearms.
    They could 've also not used real weapons because that way the judge would go easier on them if they got caught. They wheren't planning on shooting anyone, so why take real weapons?

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    They could 've also not used real weapons because that way the judge would go easier on them if they got caught. They wheren't planning on shooting anyone, so why take real weapons?
    Well I don't think criminals are logical in the way they think all the time, they tend to be violant as well. That guy with the fake AK was apparently pointing it at armed police officers(add the fact that his buddies had real guns), so they ended up shooting him(in the head, he died), pointing a fake weapon during a robbery at armed police officers doesn't seem very smart does it?

The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    For your own safety and the safety of your neighbours and loved ones, for the love of bacon go and take a basic gun safety and handling course. If you can't take the time to load your weapon, you aren't fully awake yet and can't make an informed decision. This is how people end up shooting their friend/brother who snuck into their house to play a prank.
    I have taken a gun safety course and am well versed in how to use it. But it doesnt do you any good if your ammo is locked in a safe in an other room and someone breaks in. \

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What are you babbling about? Reqq is talking about how British police are not normally armed. Seriously, read the post you're quoting before going off on your political grandstanding.
    Whats especially sad was that I responded to Reqq within a post or two and explained the situation, some people too eager push their own agenda...
    [08:44:11] Kurioxan: as long they get big im alright with that

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=MMOC-GenOT

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Well I don't think criminals are logical in the way they think all the time, they tend to be violant as well. That guy with the fake AK was apparently pointing it at armed police officers(add the fact that his buddies had real guns), so they ended up shooting him(in the head, he died), pointing a fake weapon during a robbery at armed police officers doesn't seem very smart does it?
    People like that deserve to be shot. They knowingly commit a crime and then point a gun (doesnt matter if its real or not) at a cop. Personally I think ANYONE convicted of a felony (proven guilty in a court of law) should be given the death penalty, then perhaps people would think twice about committing a crime knowing if they do it and get caught, they will be dead