Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Non-US Gun regulations.

So, how are gun laws where you live, and how to do you feel about them? There are too many threads focusing on the US alone, lets have one that focuses on other places.
    pro-gun liberal

Scotland. Almost total ban. Couldn't be happier; we haven't had a single school shooting since we introduced the Firearms Act, after the Dunblane massacre in 1995.

Almost total ban here aswell.

In Sweden, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2008: 138

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Almost total ban here aswell.

In Sweden, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2008: 138
    Far from it, you can get a liscens for almost anything, including semi-automatic rifles(like the AR 15) and tactical rifles/sniper rifles. We got around 2.500.000 legally owned weapons in Sweden.

We do have very few lethal shootings though, roughly 20 per year is crime related. The great majority of the rest are suicides.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-11 at 08:31 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Far from it, you can get a liscens for almost anything, including semi-automatic rifles(like the AR 15) and tactical rifles/sniper rifles. We got around 2.500.000 legally owned weapons in Sweden.

We do have very few lethal shootings though, roughly 20 per year is crime related. The great majority of the rest are suicides.
    im going to guess the laws are pretty strict on background checks.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

UK gun laws are one of the strictest in the world. only people here that have guns are Farmers, a few people with hunting licesnes and gangs. not small gnags, usually just the bigger more organized gangs, thats where most of our shootings come from as well. not even the police in the UK carry guns.
    Too cool for a signature

Germany here.

Real guns are very uncommon to see in public. Robbers usually use toy guns, Gas pistols, real looking starting pistols or flare guns.

You can only buy guns if you are in a hunting/sport shooting club. You are not allowed to carry a loaded gun. You are not even allowed to have the ammunition and the gun in the same bag or space in your car (so if you want to carry them you need seperate bags and in a car the gun needs to be in the trunk and the ammo on the backseat).

A weapons ownership license does not entitle the owner to shoot the weapon or carry it on public premises without the prescribed container. Owners must obtain mandatory insurance and a means to securely store the weapon on their premises (a weapons locker). Blanket ownership licenses are issued to arms dealers, firearms experts and – with limitations – to collectors. Today, there are ca. four million legal private gun owners.

Gun violence is rare. Knifes are also regulated. You are not allowed to carry a big knife with you. Butterflys and Switchblades are also illegal.

In Germany, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2006: 953

(edit) the 6 was a footnote and got added in the copy/past - sorry. Here is the source:
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/germany

In Germany, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is
    2006: 1.16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Germany
    Last edited by Kryos; 2013-01-11 at 11:16 PM.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    im going to guess the laws are pretty strict on background checks.
    Yeah, the police does their thing, check your criminal records etc, for handguns and weapons that ain't classified as a hunting weapon you need to be an active member in a firearms association, they test you on weapons handling etc, and give you certificates that you need to give to the police etc. You need to have been an active member for 6 months before you can apply for your first license.

All guns are carefully registered.

Criminals usually don't carry guns either. You will find illegal weapons mostly in organized crime, and those dudes don't normally target normal people, they deal with drug trafficking, serious robberies etc.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-11 at 08:46 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Canada, ridiculously low murder rate. We have licensing for guns, much like a driver's license; prove you know how to handle it safely and pay the fee and there you go. That qualifies you to own long guns; hunting rifles and shotguns for the most part, for hunting purposes. Handguns are heavily restricted, in that you need to demonstrate a need to have one. "Need" in this case not including factors like "I enjoy shooting them" or "home defense"; you need to either carry them on the job, like with an armored car driver, or demonstrate an actual fear-of-life situation. Some wilderness officials, for instance, for emergency defense against bears and other aggressive wildlife, or cases where someone's under an active threat where there's a criminal file open, and the police cannot provide adequate protection; say a courier who provided information for an investigation into a gang, who's had one attempt on his life already; he could ask for and receive an authorization to carry for self defense, since they can't detail officers to follow him around all day for the rest of his life, but these are exceedingly rare.

In Canada there are various laws about licensing, registration, magazine sizes, attachments (like flash suppression) and specific model types prohibited. The federal gov't and provicial govts both have sets of restrictions.

Generally speaking though, Canada is not that restrictive of firearms but there are rules for sales and registration requirements of handguns (long gun registry was scrapped because of political opposition). Canada has a lot of guns, but since gun culture is not nearly as prevalent as in the US the number of guns and gun violence per capita is much, much lower. Canada has about 1/3 guns per capita, and about 1/5 the death rate (homicides, suicides, accidents) from guns.

A lot of crimes in Canada committed with guns are actually with stolen guns since it seems to be harder for would-be criminals to buy them.

Looks like the U.S. doesn't actually have the worst gun death ratio in the "western" world. Germany's is equal or worse. Checking others.

(using numbers based on past years, 2008 for Sweden, 2006 for Germany)
    The less you know, the more you believe.

Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

You can get firearms here for the following:

If you think your life is at risk and have proof of it, you can get up to civilian version of some rifles, single shot, this is VERY rare, even in this situations a handgun is most common.
    You can have firearms if you are registered for sport shooting, or hunting, it allows you to own (and carry if you are taking it to the place) shotguns restricted to 3 shots, hunting rifles (this makes me laugh, as you can get high powered hunting rifles ofc).

To get a license, for any of those reasons you still need:
    A certificate from your medical doctor and an approval certificate for which you must take safety courses and shooting lessons.
    An interview with a psychologist to make sure you arent one of the crazies.

(or, you can go to your local gypsies or western mafia and get handguns, although they are usually altered and in bad shape, rather risky)

In Portugal, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 0,28, total of 30 homicides a year by gun, mostly drug related.

Edit: btw OP, you can just check this site:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/portugal (its set for portugal, but changeable, not sure if site is 100% trustworthy)
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-11 at 10:18 PM.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Looks like the U.S. doesn't actually have the worst gun death ratio in the "western" world. Germany's is equal or worse. Checking others.

Here are good stats. Firearm-related death-rate per 100,000 population in one year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

My country:
    Sweden - 1.47(total), 0.19(homicides), 1.20(suicides), 0.06(accidential) - 2010

So the US is far and above Sweden.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-11 at 10:19 PM.

We'll since Denmark havent posted yet I will bite. Denmark 1.45 0.22 1.16 0.04 0.04 2006 (From above link, 2006 is outdated, so take it for what you want- I belive we had 38 murders in 2012 in total, anything from knifes to guns)

In Denmark the most heated weapon discussion we've had, has been about "knife laws". Basicly as a way to stop people from having knifes on them legally, a law was put into to place that made knifes with a blade over 9 CM Illegal to have on you or something like that.

That ofcourse made alot of people upset, anything from the working man, to the people who just have a knife on them for personal use, such as garden work etc.

If you want to own a gun inn Denmark I think you haft to go trough a sign up, training and whatnot. Honestly, I have no idea - Dont want to know either really. I know you haft to have a "hunting badge" of some sort to be a hunter, if you wanna go shoot out inn the woods. I doubt its easy to get a gun at all trough. We have few shooting ranges inn bigger cities trough where you can try shoot with blanks or bigger ammunition. Inn Denmark we got a very small gun coulture, its not something that interest to many people.

Edit: And I'm fine with the laws we got. Recently the last 10 years we've seen an escalating drug-war inn bigger cites inn Denmark between rival motercycle-clubs such as Hell's Angels and Bandidos, and it has now spread to muslims mostly that want to threat the clubs drug-market. Have no mistake we've got very little murders inn Denmark, cause we are a small country to, but "shit has gone down" quit often last 2-3 years, with anything from drive by shooting to people being gun down on the streets.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2013-01-11 at 10:31 PM.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    a law was put into to place that made knifes with a blade over 9 CM Illegal to have on you or something like that.
    Yeah, we have similar law, people still carry pocket knives a lot for utility

Doesnt mean you cant buy for collector reason, i own a couple of swords and several throwing knives, shurikens, ninja baton and a 150lbs crossbow (all illegal to carry in public, fine if its in your house or sports/hunting) oh and a 80lbs composite bow, all for sport.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-11 at 10:30 PM.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Edit: btw OP, you can just check this site:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/portugal (its set for portugal, but changeable, not sure if site is 100% trustworthy)
    Nice site, cheers.

Very few gun deaths in Denmark and most are suicide related. There are a few drugdealers that have guns, but they use them as protection from other drugdealers, so innocent people hardly ever get killed by those guns. Robbers don't have guns, but instead chose another house to rob an empty house instead, the only people with guns that attack innocent people are foreigners from the eastern european countries that recently got access to the EU and Schengen-Zone and are still flooded with old USSR guns. Almost no danish civilian has a handgun, and there's very few hunting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

Germany has about the same total shootings as the US has homicides. Total shootings accounts for things like justified killings and suicides. I would guess that in Germany's case, suicides would account for the vast majority of their total shootings, ending an somewhere from a 3-9x increase in homicides in the US by comparison.

Old God
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Almost no danish civilian has a handgun, and there's very few hunting rifles.
    It's going to be easy to invade you guys, can't wait to burn and pillage Ströget. Bring it on! ;P

In Germany, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2006: 9539
    if this number is correct about 95% must be suicides... i am too sleepy to research the numbers or %'s right now but i refuse to believe that we have more gun related homicides than the US.