Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do you enjoy ret

In brief - currently I do not enjoy ret even slightly and am contemplating the heavy decision of switching mains. I originally swapped to my paladin to heal (and did pretty damn well at it) but one of our raiders hated his warrior and wanted to heal on a monk. In retrospect, I regret flexing to allow it, but its too late now.

My dps is okay, in the few weeks I've been ret I've crept from horrible to 'keeping up with people of similar gear'. But at no point has it been fun. I find ret's rotation the most boring and nearly the easiest of any class I've ever played (8 classes, 5 of which I've raided with). Fire mage is even easier, but at least you get to shoot fire and see massive crits all the time. I simmed myself at 9% downtime which is absurd (in my opinion) for a non-energy class.

So obviously not every class is going to be fun for everyone, but I'm curious what other ret paladins out there enjoy about the class. Maybe I'm just missing some aspect of it that would change my mind - and part of me hopes that's the case so I don't have to switch.

Any and all thoughts welcome :]

It's alright. IF it weren't for haste scaling the GCD, it'd probably be the most boring in the game. It's not hte most exciting thing in the world, but it feels very thorough, if you know what I mean. Things are always getting mixed up, unlike a frost Dk where you most justly spam 2 abilities.

Ugh. I hate frost DK rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always have something to press, so i dont know what you are doing? What exactly do you not like about paladins?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I always have something to press, so i dont know what you are doing? What exactly do you not like about paladins?
    Well, you shouldn't, which is justified by sims which will tell you that playing perfectly, about 9% of your time is spent doing nothing. If you don't agree then that's a theorycrafting discussion that I don't really feel like having here, but ideally you'll take my word for it.

I love paladins, I love holy, I enjoy prot, but we have good and consistent tanks and healers right now (which is partially my fault for allowing the roster to evolve as it did) so I'm stuck in a dps role. Paladins have strong situational utility, in the sense that BoP is useful in a high damage phase, but they have very very low offhealing utility as compared to feral druid or enhancement shaman, for example. I love saving lives with LoH but I'd much rather be exercising my skill throughout the fight throwing out healing touches than using one utility move every 10 minutes. As I said its possible that I simply subjectively don't like ret, but I'm more interested in what others DO like about it than discussing what it is that I don't like.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    Ugh. I hate frost DK rotation..
    Yeah that one's clunky, but I don't really mind it, it involves a lot more predictive skill than people tend to give it credit for. Ret is literally:

Download CLCret (i actually made my own rotationhelper with weakauras but same idea)
    follow it
    ??
    profit

PS not implying that can't be done with other classes but *usually* a good player will outperform CLC. for ret, that really isnt the case except in a few scenarios and even then its only a slight difference

aaaanyway my fault for going on a tangent, but I'm mostly happy with my dps as ret, but it feels like a monkey could take my place at the computer and do just as well.
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2013-01-11 at 09:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    Well, you shouldn't, which is justified by sims which will tell you that playing perfectly, about 9% of your time is spent doing nothing. If you don't agree then that's a theorycrafting discussion that I don't really feel like having here, but ideally you'll take my word for it.

I love paladins, I love holy, I enjoy prot, but we have good and consistent tanks and healers right now (which is partially my fault for allowing the roster to evolve as it did) so I'm stuck in a dps role. Paladins have strong situational utility, in the sense that BoP is useful in a high damage phase, but they have very very low offhealing utility as compared to feral druid or enhancement shaman, for example. I love saving lives with LoH but I'd much rather be exercising my skill throughout the fight throwing out healing touches than using one utility move every 10 minutes. As I said its possible that I simply subjectively don't like ret, but I'm more interested in what others DO like about it than discussing what it is that I don't like.
    No during those times ill heal someone with my instant flasheal/also use holy prisim when somethings on cd. Theres always something u can do even if its only cleansing something.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 04:33 PM ----------

I dont know if i can really say why I like it honestly. It just feels right to me. The only melee that comes close is ww monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    No during those times ill heal someone with my instant flasheal/also use holy prisim when somethings on cd. Theres always something u can do even if its only cleansing something.[COLOR="red"]
    Ah.. I'm speaking in the context of heroic progression. I'd love to use my lvl90 abilities as utility but they're mandatory rotational dps abilities. I probably should have specified

10+ Year Old Account
    Play using Divine Purpose instead of HA, I see people bitch a lot about ret having low sustain yet they don't take the talent that increases sustain at the cost of some burst. It also increases your healing utility, the procs from DP allow you to throw out several WoG during damage heavy phases when people just need 1 extra heal to keep them up. I don't think I'll ever use anything other than divine purpose on my pally simply because I don't like the other styles, my guild isn't cutting edge progression so I don't need to worry about little 1-3% differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Yeah, if the rotation is boring you, toss in Divine Porpoise. The procs from that mix things up quite a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah.. I'm speaking in the context of heroic progression. I'd love to use my lvl90 abilities as utility but they're mandatory rotational dps abilities. I probably should have specified

Yes i also use divine purpose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Play using Divine Purpose instead of HA, I see people bitch a lot about ret having low sustain yet they don't take the talent that increases sustain at the cost of some burst. It also increases your healing utility, the procs from DP allow you to throw out several WoG during damage heavy phases when people just need 1 extra heal to keep them up. I don't think I'll ever use anything other than divine purpose on my pally simply because I don't like the other styles, my guild isn't cutting edge progression so I don't need to worry about little 1-3% differences.
    I like divine purpose, but it doesnt make me like ret more - if anything the change of pace from HA does. Also the dps loss from using WoG isnt worth it from my perspective. I've done it but its ULTRA rare and usually due to someone making a mistake. Even then it doesnt heal for much.

to clarify, I originally used DP and swapped to HA/SW as of last week

Well, yeah, WoG is a dps loss, but you did say you liked clutch offhealing/utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Well, yeah, WoG is a dps loss, but you did say you liked clutch offhealing/utility.
    Well theres a difference between being a boss on a feral and throwing out heals (you can vary energy consumption such that healing is no dps loss, plus DoC rotation forces you to heal anyway).. and once in a blue moon deciding that I need to WoG someone because I'm the last thing between them and death and nobody else can get them faster or better. As I said, this basically never happens (props to my guild for avoiding fire)

Yeah the only offheals im familiar with are ret's. I've not played any other classes aside from paladin very much. Idk, you seem to be pretty familiar with ret. If it isn't fun for you, then switch it up. With 5.2 on the horizon, now would be the time to gear alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Yeah the only offheals im familiar with are ret's. I've not played any other classes aside from paladin very much. Idk, you seem to be pretty familiar with ret. If it isn't fun for you, then switch it up. With 5.2 on the horizon, now would be the time to gear alts.
    Yeah now's better than ever, but making the swap isnt ideal given that my guild is still progressing through t14 heroics. plus then i have to decide what to play...

15+ Year Old Account
    Smoothest rotation in the game for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah now's better than ever, but making the swap isnt ideal given that my guild is still progressing through t14 heroics. plus then i have to decide what to play...
    So level/gear it in your spare time assuming you have any. Show up to raid, but stop doing anything else and spend that time gearing. Id recommend getting on the ptr and making premades to see which class/spec you like best.

I LOVE how a Paladin feels under Sanctified Wrath wings. Rapid fire HoW with lust every other GCD for massive crits is fun.

Also, getting 8 procs of DP in a row.

Imo ret right now feels better than ever. Well, early WOTLK felt amazing because it was faceroll - literally you could just bind any attacks to anywhere and faceroll.

But on topic, I like the feel of it now. It's smooth, and consistent, and if you look at the flashing yellow numbers and not recount/logs you'll feel powerful. And just some of the animations/attacks feel amazing. I enjoy it because of the feel. I got too bored of my death knight and rogue tbh and ret is really doing it for me. I think hitting judgment while running at an enemy - the animation and the concept - is the best thing in wow, to be honest.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

I like having generally more on-demand ranged attacks than other melee, especially ranged that doesn't have a cast time.

Also I think my holy-cow looks freakin' awesome whenever I use Templar's Verdict and while I wish we had more DPS or that our DPS wasn't tied to burst cooldowns I also know that we're all essentially playing with dolls (or action figures for y'all living in denial) and looking cool is one of the most important aspects of the game to me.

For me i've never played any other class or spec besides ret. I know i should branch out but i just have always loved ret that much haha. Idk why. I've grown so attached to it through its ups and downs over the years that I really don't think I would enjoy another class. I probably should try them, cause I may end up liking them like i love ret who knows.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.