Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Thread is misleading. They don't seem to be complaining about math, but are complaining about them using math to talk about someone distributing wealth. Still it's silly, but misleading titles are equally as stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    A farmer has 5 cows, and 3 children. When the farmer dies how many cows gets everyone of his children?

Now is that something which - down the road - gets challenged by some politician, because of what ever reason they make up for it as hidden agenda for something they pull out of their ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Thread is misleading. They don't seem to be complaining about math, but are complaining about them using math to talk about someone distributing wealth. Still it's silly, but misleading titles are equally as stupid.
    Indeed.

Should we start complaining about a conservative conspiracy and point to the math examples that involve their agendas? /tinfoil hat
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Indeed.

Should we start complaining about a conservative conspiracy and point to the math examples that involve their agendas? /tinfoil hat
    well now that you mention it there were quite a few about purchasing things from stores and wages.. thats capitalist brainwashing if i ever saw it!

Maybe I'm just naive, but I've never noticed anything political about math.

As a conservative, it's really annoying to see myself and my ideals associated with idiots like this guy. He's a moron, not a conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Maybe it isn't schools having this "liberal bias." Maybe it's reality that has a liberal bias. . .
    It's a well known fact that facts has a liberal bias. Not like these feelings thing that's totally neutral and objective.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Difference without a distinction, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fairly typical right-wing American hatred of teachers. They simply do not and cannot trust that teachers are trained to know how children learn and what kind of examples resonate and make more of an impact. It's been mentioned already that younger children absolutely require physical examples because the part of the brain that deals with abstract theory isn't fully developed; this is a wonderful way to teach mathematics.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

What a nutjob lol. Thank god all conservatives aren't like this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good ole Fox News. Always there when you need a laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    If it makes him feel any better, I have completely forgotten what the distributive property involves.
    I honestly couldn't remember either.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    A farmer has 5 cows, and 3 children. When the farmer dies how many cows gets everyone of his children?

Now is that something which - down the road - gets challenged by some politician, because of what ever reason they make up for it as hidden agenda for something they pull out of their ass?
    Succession rights! One cow for each children, the parasites take the other two!
    (been replaying some Bioshock 2 lately)

There is no way this problem was just created by a text book writer and a publishing company thinking nothing of the potential political implications. No, it must have been made by a bunch of liberals sitting around a table in a dark room scheming "how can we slowly corrupt today's youth into being liberal through math problems".

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    There is no way this problem was just created by a text book writer and a publishing company thinking nothing of the potential political implications. No, it must have been made by a bunch of liberals sitting around a table in a dark room scheming "how can we slowly corrupt today's youth into being liberal through math problems".
    It is rather difficult to say how distributing wealth ended as example of distributive property. It might be someone purposely putting political ideas into school or the teacher might just be honestly trying to come up with an example that kids can relate to.

However, I just don't think politics and religion should play any role in math. Imagine teacher saying any number multiplied to 0 becomes 0 is like god forgiving sins so no matter how many sins you have, god can make it go away like multiplying by 0. Or imagine a teacher saying the idea of infinite is like having as many guns as you want.

I think teachers need to be more careful when they come up with examples and consciously stay away from political/religious topics. I can see some exceptions if a political topic meshes extremely well with a difficult concept. But even that's up for debate. Though distributing wealth and distributive property just don't really mesh -_-...
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Maybe I'm just naive, but I've never noticed anything political about math.

As a conservative, it's really annoying to see myself and my ideals associated with idiots like this guy. He's a moron, not a conservative.
    Probably the greatest weakness of the Republican party right now is that they've absorbed extremism and ignorance into their ranks. Even a small minority can be devastating; for example, the way a few congressman blathering on about "legitimate rape" and such things had an effect on Romney's reputation due to association. It really isn't enough to say "we aren't like them" anymore; the Republican party needs to clean up its ranks.