Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I did, I said I agree with you
    I'm failing at multitasking, I did reedit my post, 'cause I saw that (a bit late)
    /tips hat
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2013-01-12 at 01:36 AM.

  2. #162
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Iracor View Post
    Did anyone actually read the article?

    His issue wasn't with the mathematical concept of distribution, but rather how it was being taught.

    The worksheet said to "Distribute the wealth with the lovely rich girl with a big ole bag of money, handing some money out."

    I'm sorry, but that has nothing to do with the distributive property and is just a subtle way of shaping children's beliefs. If you're told stuff like that over and over again you begin believing it's the standard. Which causes you to lean to the left and vote left when you are old enough.

    In case you forgot, here's the distributive method (a + b)(c + d) = ac + bc + ad + bd. <--How is that a lovely rich girl handing out some money? In what twisted world is that the most efficient analogy to use to teach children how it works? What happened to the FOIL method (First, outer, inner, last)?
    Seriously? Math problems are subliminal messages now? You people truly are paranoid. Jesus, when I was in school, I didn't take any stock in what the problem said, I just figured out the equation and went from there. Kids aren't going to become OMG COMMUNISTS from a fucking algebraic word problem.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 08:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    Adults aren't but third graders are...
    Adults are too smart to fall for it. Kids are too stupid to see it.

    So yeah, it's *just* a fucking math problem.

    I don't think there's a third grader out there (or a Republican) who knows (or cares) what communism is.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2013-01-12 at 01:55 AM.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    In what real world application does it make any sense for a girl to be standing on a street corner with a big ol' bag of money handing out fistfuls of it. The idea in the picture makes no sense to start with and when you try to make sense of it and look at the title of distributing wealth on a math paper, the ideas it conjures up are Marxist..and frankly do not belong in a math book.

    On top of that, no liberal in this thread said anything about that, until the conservatives in this thread educated them as to what was being complained about. Not one independent minded liberal bothered to find out what was being complained about. Every liberal response to the original post has been "OMG Fox is attacking math!", which is ironic in that it shows none of them bothered to think for themselves and do anything but relay the story.

    And for the record I'm fine with you saying, "the picture he was attacking was harmless and no big deal". That's your opinion, whether or not I agree with it. The liberals aren't saying that though. They are saying "he's attacking math", which is completely untrue.
    Im pretty sure its not supposed to be a real world scenario but communists and socialists also dont stand around with fistfulls of cash and hand it out to poor people. The only people who would likely see that picture with that title as Marxist are the people who write for Fox News and people who believe what they say. Like I said before "distributing" wealth doesnt have to be socialist, and in fact can be applied to big corporations which conservatives love. Maybe the girl is the CEO of a company paying her VPs their bonuses?

    I usually like to know what Im talking about so I watched the video. What I saw was people making up their own interpretation of a homework assignment in a really extreme way based on what was actually on the paper. Before that I assumed that they had a problem with the word "distributive" in the mathematical principle which isnt far off from what they were really talking about. That was before any of the conservatives in this thread said anything besides "MSNBC is as bad as Fox News."

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:02 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Sharing resources and teaching social interaction have no place in a math class. Neither polar political agenda should be taught. I can be intellectually honest to say my political agenda should not be taught in math class, why can't you own up and do the same?

    I have this weird idea that math class should be used to teach math. I know that idea is WAY out there.
    When I was taking math classes I only paid attention to the math and just ignored anything else since youre supposed to be learning math. Also I would bet that most math teachers are solely focused on teaching math(which kids have a hard enough time with) rather than sidetracking into education about social studies. Most people that would teach math dont even like social studies.

  4. #164
    Fluffy Kitten Dacien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,069
    Wait until he gets to the Properties of Equality.

  5. #165
    Mechagnome Guilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    When I was taking math classes I only paid attention to the math and just ignored anything else since youre supposed to be learning math. Also I would bet that most math teachers are solely focused on teaching math(which kids have a hard enough time with) rather than sidetracking into education about social studies. Most people that would teach math dont even like social studies.
    My math teacher was badass and applied trigonometry to Lord of the Rings. Something about calculating the distance Boromir is from Saruman's tower thanks to the length of its shadow.. something like that.

    The problem here is overblown, but tbh I'd say the header is uncalled for. And people are denying that education shapes kids despite a century of experience showing the contrary :/

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 03:08 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Wait until he gets to the Properties of Equality.
    With them comes unequality, in which some numbers are classed as superior or inferior based on their value.. I think that's racist.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Im pretty sure its not supposed to be a real world scenario but communists and socialists also dont stand around with fistfulls of cash and hand it out to poor people. The only people who would likely see that picture with that title as Marxist are the people who write for Fox News and people who believe what they say. Like I said before "distributing" wealth doesnt have to be socialist, and in fact can be applied to big corporations which conservatives love. Maybe the girl is the CEO of a company paying her VPs their bonuses?

    I usually like to know what Im talking about so I watched the video. What I saw was people making up their own interpretation of a homework assignment in a really extreme way based on what was actually on the paper. Before that I assumed that they had a problem with the word "distributive" in the mathematical principle which isnt far off from what they were really talking about. That was before any of the conservatives in this thread said anything besides "MSNBC is as bad as Fox News."

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:02 AM ----------



    When I was taking math classes I only paid attention to the math and just ignored anything else since youre supposed to be learning math. Also I would bet that most math teachers are solely focused on teaching math(which kids have a hard enough time with) rather than sidetracking into education about social studies. Most people that would teach math dont even like social studies.
    Then you aren't the one I'm complaining about. I'm complaining about the myriad of responses of "AMG! Fox hates math!", both in this thread (beginning with spam on the first page) and in pretty much every comment on the webpage displaying the story. The funny/ironic thing about it was all the "we are such independent thinkers" mixed in with the "Fox hates math", when an independent thinker (such as yourself) understand that the story is complete bogus.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Algebra Liberal? No.

    Now lets go to CA where "Gay History" became a legally required course for all public schools in 2011. I'd say that's pretty damn Liberal myself.

    http://www.npr.org/2011/07/22/138504...-the-classroom

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_898745.html


    But I'm willing to bet that most of the sheeple who post on these forums will either ignore it or defend it as being "necessary" for some unknown reason.

    EDIT:
    And for reference a LOT of what you learn in Public Schools is WRONG. Half of it is a flat out lie. The other half, like the media, is bias and misleading.
    There's tons of evidence Africans got to the Americas first, both magnetism and the nuclear forces cannot coexist in the same universe at the same time, and gravity is a fundamental violation of cause-and-effect. Yet none of that is taught anywhere. We also have sh*t such as dark mass/ dark matter, macro evolution, the inflationary period, and an endlessly expanding universe being taught in schools all over the world. Le sigh.

  8. #168
    Pandaren Monk Solzan Nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Posts
    1,955
    Whats next? English "anti-American".

  9. #169
    Mechagnome Guilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    There's tons of evidence Africans got to the Americas first,
    There is ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    both magnetism and the nuclear forces cannot coexist in the same universe at the same time, and gravity is a fundamental violation of cause-and-effect. Yet none of that is taught anywhere. We also have sh*t such as dark mass/ dark matter, macro evolution, the inflationary period, and an endlessly expanding universe being taught in schools all over the world.
    For most intents and purposes, physics as it's taught in schools is good. What are the everyday applications of dark matter exactly ?

  10. #170
    Legendary! Quetzl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mass, US
    Posts
    6,803
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    There's tons of evidence Africans got to the Americas first, both magnetism and the nuclear forces cannot coexist in the same universe at the same time, and gravity is a fundamental violation of cause-and-effect. Yet none of that is taught anywhere. We also have sh*t such as dark mass/ dark matter, macro evolution, the inflationary period, and an endlessly expanding universe being taught in schools all over the world. Le sigh.
    I'm interested to know what evidence there is for dark matter not existing, and the other things you listed. In all seriousness. Because I too think it could be potentially BS, but I haven't yet come across anything that suggests another alternative

  11. #171
    I am Murloc! Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    5,198
    makes me wonder if people still watch faux news the same way they bought the national inquirer.

  12. #172
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    makes me wonder if people still watch faux news the same way they bought the national inquirer.

    I watched Fox News once. The TV was at a hospital because my Dad had to get a scan to check him for cancer possibly if it's bad enough. They mentioned a tidbit about a selfless act ever few minutes and they kept going back to bashing Obama constantly for about an hour and a half and during breaks mentioned the selfless act but never explained in detail about it. They just kept bashing Obama until FINALLY mentioning the Selfless act and going on about the American spirit.

    I rolled my eyes. And lastly I don't watch the News on TV that much. Too much violence and dumb crap.


    That's my experience with Fox News.

    On topic though. I don't believe in brainwashing but I don't believe it happened to me. Teachers never went political with me. They hardly did. If anything it was mostly about school/teenage issues. No politics or anything.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    There's tons of evidence Africans got to the Americas first, both magnetism and the nuclear forces cannot coexist in the same universe at the same time, and gravity is a fundamental violation of cause-and-effect. Yet none of that is taught anywhere. We also have sh*t such as dark mass/ dark matter, macro evolution, the inflationary period, and an endlessly expanding universe being taught in schools all over the world. Le sigh.
    Well Scandinavians were in America before they think Africans might have and there is actually good evidence of that fact. The other things I have no problem with and I have a degree in physics. Any real anomalies or exceptions in theories are way too complicated to be taught in HS anyway. Secondary education is normally very conservative and doesnt teach unproven and crackpot ideas that you see on TV.

  14. #174
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,284
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    both magnetism and the nuclear forces cannot coexist in the same universe at the same time, and gravity is a fundamental violation of cause-and-effect. Yet none of that is taught anywhere. We also have sh*t such as dark mass/ dark matter, macro evolution, the inflationary period, and an endlessly expanding universe being taught in schools all over the world. Le sigh.
    "How do I Physics?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    Is physics forever relegated to reiterating integrals that can never approach the derivative limits of true reality?
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  15. #175
    Legendary! Quetzl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mass, US
    Posts
    6,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    On topic though. I don't believe in brainwashing but I don't believe it happened to me. Teachers never went political with me. They hardly did. If anything it was mostly about school/teenage issues. No politics or anything.
    Brainwashing happens all the time. It's only called brainwashing, though, when someone disagrees with the information being used.

    For example, we are being brainwashed into thinking that we want things we don't need by every commercial we see. A more close-to-the-hearth example is the American Dream.
    Last edited by Quetzl; 2013-01-12 at 02:56 AM.

  16. #176
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Brainwashing happens all the time. It's only called brainwashing, thought, when someone disagrees with the information being used.

    For example, we are being brainwashed into thinking that we want things we don't need by every commercial we see. A more close-to-the-hearth example is the American Dream.
    My American Dream is different and better then yours :-P
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

  17. #177
    Fluffy Kitten Dacien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    Whats next? English "anti-American".
    Here in the contiguous 48, we call it "American English", thank you very much.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I watched Fox News once. The TV was at a hospital because my Dad had to get a scan to check him for cancer possibly if it's bad enough. They mentioned a tidbit about a selfless act ever few minutes and they kept going back to bashing Obama constantly for about an hour and a half and during breaks mentioned the selfless act but never explained in detail about it. They just kept bashing Obama until FINALLY mentioning the Selfless act and going on about the American spirit.

    I rolled my eyes. And lastly I don't watch the News on TV that much. Too much violence and dumb crap.


    That's my experience with Fox News.

    On topic though. I don't believe in brainwashing but I don't believe it happened to me. Teachers never went political with me. They hardly did. If anything it was mostly about school/teenage issues. No politics or anything.
    This just about sums up the various news stations:

    http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-conten...WS-WORKS1.jpeg

    You can replace CNN with any "neutral" US broadcasting station, Fox with any right wing, MSNBC with any left wing, and BBC with any news station interested in real news.

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    This just about sums up the various news stations:

    http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-conten...WS-WORKS1.jpeg

    You can replace CNN with any "neutral" US broadcasting station, Fox with any right wing, MSNBC with any left wing, and BBC with any news station interested in real news.
    What? Obama drinks Pepsi?

    This reminds me of the Petraeus scandal which went on way too long when the news should have been pressuring politicians to reach a fiscal cliff deal. They also went on a long tangent on Kate Middleton's pregnancy and the English royal succession, neither of which matter at all in America.

  20. #180
    If we have an agenda, I'm seriously not being let in on it. Will you guys tell me already?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •