Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    It's a big unit, we weren't particularly loud, and we told her beforehand that we were having a party from 9 to 11 and for her to call us if we were too loud and we would kick everyone out.
    You don't have a leg to stand on.

Not in terms of kicking her out. She owns the place. The best you can hope for is a lawsuit. Even that's pushing it.

You should probably buy a house if you plan on hosting parties. Loud tenants fucking suck ass for the landlords whether they live there or not. They're almost as bad as tenants who destroy the place or don't pay their rent on time.

<----- is a landlord

10+ Year Old Account
    You say you want to evict the person who owns the building? HAHAHAHHAHA

Infraction or not you're being a bit of an asshole. Regardless of telling her before hand, having a party with 30-40 people will always be loud and if her age and sons age is true you should be respectful of that and not have a party like that, or hire a venue where you can do whatever the fuck you want then pay some guy to clean it up afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

If you're saying she's the co-owner, it makes no sense that you think you can evict her. You can't evict an owner...she owns the place.

The only way would be to buy the place from her. Then you can evict her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    You said for a couple of hours between 9-11 pm and she didn't get pissed till 3 am. You lied to and took advantage of an elderly woman. And now you want to try and get her kicked out of her own place? I hope you are joking and if not, you are the lowest of the low. People like that is everything wrong with society today and I feel sorry for you for being so petty.
    This exactly, the story is a wreck.

You said for a couple of hours between 9-11 pm and she didn't get pissed till 3 am. You lied to and took advantage of an elderly woman. And now you want to try and get her kicked out of her own place? I hope you are joking and if not, you are the lowest of the low. People like that is everything wrong with society today and I feel sorry for you for being so petty.
    I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood. We did leave at 11 and went downtown. When we came back at 2 in the morning, the people tried coming back. They were only there for about 5 minutes (maybe 10-12 people) before she came out yelling.

This seriously looks like trolling. You have loud, disruptive parties like an inconsiderate prick at 2 AM and you think you're anything but wrong? Try thinking about someone other than yourself. You're obviously making life for them more difficult than it should be. You're making things difficult for them so you can... party? Wow.

Gtfo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    You say you want to evict the person who owns the building? HAHAHAHHAHA
    ^

Thought this thread was a joke when I saw the subject line.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood. We did leave at 11 and went downtown. When we came back at 2 in the morning, the people tried coming back. They were only there for about 5 minutes (maybe 10-12 people) before she came out yelling.
    Still, you cause a commotion at someone else's property. Doesn't really matter if it was 5 min, 10 min or 20 min long you woke up a person at 2 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello everyone,

I've lived in the same place of residence now for over a year (September 2011 - present). My landlord lives next door (Well, she's co-owners of the duplex along with another individual). She is well over 80 years old, and has a son who is 50 and mentally impaired who lives with her. She lives with her son and has in-home care that stops by from time to time.

Over the last 9 months, we have had two parties. One of them, we had people over until 2 or 3 in the morning and were fairly loud. The second time, however, was last night. We had around 30 or 40 people over our house for a couple hours between 9 and 11 pm. They tried coming back over at 2AM but we kicked them out because we didn't want to make noise and our landlord came out on her deck and complained.

Today, she called us saying that she "Doesn't need us living next door" and will "kick us out if we do it again". In essence, she threatened to evict us.

**Extra Info**

We told her about the party beforehand. Told her we were having a bunch of friends over from 9 to 11 and for her to call us if it got too loud and we would kick everyone out - something she never did until she came out angrily at 3 in the morning yelling at people.

In contrast, the son she lives with who is mentally impaired screams extremely loudly at any given hour of the day or night. My bedroom shares a wall with the room that he sleeps in, and I've been woken up many times over the past year and a half because of his screaming, and it does interrupt our lives.

We have always paid rent on time and never missed a single payment. Other than the two parties, we are quiet tenants and keep our unit clean. Do we have a case that we can get our landlord evicted?

I did some reading online, and it says that a tenant has the right to "Quiet Enjoyment" which is "No one will disturb the tenant in the tenant's use and enjoyment of the premise". Do you think her son being there with his condition violates my right to Quiet Enjoyment? Do you think I could make a case?
    Landlord-Owns the property.
    Tenant-Does not own the property.

She isn't going anywhere. And if you have 30-40 people over, you better believe you're going to be loud. But you know that. Her son has a problem that he can't control obviously. You aren't getting her kicked out of her own home. But she can kick you out. You're sounding so passive/aggressive. Is this your first apartment?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a big unit, we weren't particularly loud, and we told her beforehand that we were having a party from 9 to 11 and for her to call us if we were too loud and we would kick everyone out.
    Did you know your landlord had her son with illness living with her prior to moving in? If yes then what's your case?

If you live in the states, I also believe the landlord can do as she pleases since it's her property since she didn't dupe you into renting the unit.

I can't really take it serious honestly, an 80 year old woman n' her son with illness lives next door, yet you still chose to have at least 1 party til 2-3 in the morning, I don't know why, but I feel a need to speak plainly to you, on the other hand I don't want to get infracted at the same time...
    Last edited by Banzhe; 2013-01-11 at 11:29 PM.

I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood.
    Thats what happens when you start off with a different story. You specifically said you kicked people out at 2. You said she started yelling at 3. You said you told her 9-11. 5 minutes is not an hour. 2am is not 3am, nor is it 11pm.
    Last edited by openair; 2013-01-11 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still a piece of shit move to want to or to wonder if you can kick her out of her own place. You still took advantage of an elderly woman and you feel no regret or sorrow for it. You are a shameful human being and I hope you seriously have an attitude adjustment. Also You have no business whatsoever in having a party that late in an apartment building. You are allegedly an adult and you should act like one or buy your own house if you refuse to show respect to other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Over the last 9 months, we have had two parties. One of them, we had people over until 2 or 3 in the morning and were fairly loud. The second time, however, was last night. We had around 30 or 40 people over our house for a couple hours between 9 and 11 pm. They tried coming back over at 2AM but we kicked them out because we didn't want to make noise and our landlord came out on her deck and complained.

Today, she called us saying that she "Doesn't need us living next door" and will "kick us out if we do it again". In essence, she threatened to evict us.

**Extra Info**

We told her about the party beforehand. Told her we were having a bunch of friends over from 9 to 11 and for her to call us if it got too loud and we would kick everyone out - something she never did until she came out angrily at 3 in the morning yelling at people.
    In the real world, you don't warn your neighbours that youre having 30 of your closest friends over and tell them to come complain if you're too loud. After your guests have made a bunch of noise isn't the time to quiet down your party for your neighbours. If you have that kind of control over 30 people, the time to exercise it is BEFORE they make any noise.

"A bunch of friends over" in normal speak is 12-15. No one expects anyone to cram 30 people into a shared living space. If you really HAVE to have parties in that house then here's what you do: Organize it early and talk with her about it, take a small donation from everyone and offer to send her and her son out for dinner/spa/movie and a nice hotel to stay at that night. I did it with my landlord and it cost us next to nothing individually, my landlords were happy, I had my party, and everything was great.

Sorry I got my numbers wrong. And, though it sounds like you've made up your mind, might I add that I live 1 block south of a 30,000+ student college campus and every apartment building surrounding mine is full of young college students.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow is it asshole night on the forrum if she was not 80 whit a impair son people would not on her side.

btw if its not stated in any rule showed you before you got in the place (at least in Canada) you cant trow somebody out of his home for being loud but you can still call the cops to get people arrested or get fined for loud noise

Why not have the Party earlier in the night? having a party from 9-11 just sounds like a bad idea regardless.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Sorry I got my numbers wrong. And, though it sounds like you've made up your mind, might I add that I live 1 block south of a 30,000+ student college campus and every apartment building surrounding mine is full of young college students.
    So what? When I was a student and living in an apartment, that didn't give me the right to go berserk and break stuff/cause commotion at funny hours.
    You're starting to be plain irrational, maybe you should go to bed.

Very true if your going by the law. It's different per county (Police vs Sheriff). For Police they would come after 30 days but sheriff would come at 3 days. In Orange County, CA (where I own) it's sheriff so it's 3 days but where I live now (San Diego) its monitored by police so I have 30 days.

It all depends on the city.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    If you're on contract and haven't breached the contract, I doubt she can evict you. Apparently, tenant must also be given a 30 day notice of eviction in California. I doubt you can evict the landlord, but you might be able to win a settlement based on your noise complaint. Multiple noise complaints must be documented though and lawsuits are an all around pain the ass.

Being in a blue state would probably help in your position since laws in blue states tend to favor the little guy, tenant in this case.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    haha you live beside an old lady and impaired son in a college town. Good job on your apartment hunting. I think you failed that.