10+ Year Old Account

Some more questions

Hello folks,

I have some more very noobish questions about a build that I've been purchasing buying on a bi-weekly basis. But I'm now onto potentially buying a SSD. What are recommendations for a SSD for this build? I look at the other posts and see a lot of mentions of the Samsung 830, 840, and 840 Pro. Or another brand is fine, whatever is good and works, I suppose.

Also, are there any recommendations on a bigger HDD than a 500GB WD Caviar Blue? I did notice they make a 1 TB HDD Caviar Blue but when I researched them, one of the HDDs came up with a 32MB Cache and the other with a 64MB Cache. Any differences or would someone recommend a different 1 TB HDD?

Thanks folks...

Also, I'm buying/following/using the example 790 build:

Gaming 790
    MoBo: ASRock Z77 Pro3 – $89.99
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k – $214.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz 2x4GB – $34.99
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti – $279.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB – $64.99
    PSU: XFX ProSeries 450W – $52.99 Review
    Case: Using a different one

10+ Year Old Account
    Samsung 830 is your best bet. 840 is slower for quick writes, and 840 pro is not worth the performance increase.
    Crucial M4 is also a good one. People are saying OCZ Vertex 4 (not 3, not Agility) are also good. I sort of am personally reserved about it.

As for HDD size... That's up to you. Do you think you need more than 500gb?

Cache size doesn't matter (between 32 and 64). Anything over 16mb cache is sort of marketing, at that point. It's kind of like RAM. If you have a lot, much if it simply goes unused. Dont pay more for more than 32mb.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-12 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The question for the HDD increase is because it's more than likely going to be a shared computer with my fiancee. And she loves her music, movies, and other media type of things while I like my video games. Maybe I'm over-thinking that 500GB is just to small and 1 TB is big enough, since this is my first time building a computer for the both of us.

Also, I noticed your post the other day about the Samsung 830 being on back-order for over a month. Would the Crucial M4 be more than enough for my interests/wants?
    Last edited by Acarlee; 2013-01-12 at 12:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by acarleescryers View Post
    Also, I noticed your post the other day about the Samsung 830 being on back-order for over a month. Would the Crucial M4 be more than enough for my interests/wants?
    If you can find an 830 (I prefer Newegg, but there are other reliable places to get them) great, but the M4 would be a good choice as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. (I prefer Newegg too. And most/all of my purchases will come from there.)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    sorry to almost hijack this, but was updating my own (much older) thread while this was posted.

chazus, what do you think of

Mushkin Chronos

Corsair Force Series GS

when compared to the ones you had mentioned?

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly haven't heard/seen much in regard to either. Corsair is a reliable brand though.