Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Are people from the 80's smarter then other generations?

I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.

How are you meeting 40 year old people from the 80s? Assuming they're born in 1980, then add 40 and you get 2020. Are we in 2020? I thought it was 2013.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    The "X" Generation mate.

I don't think they are any sharper than any previous or current generation. What, to you, makes them so stellar?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    the music and attitude.

People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

I know it's been going on for ages but when will people learn that their parent's generation didn't 'do it best' so many people now are in love with the 80s and I'm one of the few of my peers who actually is excited to be alive in this day and age. Our time has all the best shit, PLUS what the 80s had.

10+ Year Old Account
    The people who were born in the 80's said the same about the people born in the 60's. No, people were not smarter. It just appears that way because..... you know.... that whole age thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was born in 1983 and my wife's younger sister and her boyfriend think I'm an F'ing Rocket Scientist!

I will admit to having a wide band of skills from electronics, to cars, to guns, to building houses, to being an artist, etc. etc... I'm good at a LOT of things because I never wanted to depend on anyone myself. I make sure I can work with everything I'm interested in.

However, any time I talk to them about ANYTHING they just say, "I don't get it, I don't know, I don't understand, blah blah blah"... It's like I was born on another planet.

Also, I might add that my generation didn't have as much 'instant' gratification in entertainment. I had to 'make' things to do and figure things out myself. I didn't have an iPhone or the internet until I was almost 18 and then it was a brick phone and shit dial-up. Everything from their generation has NOTHING to do with patience or appreciation or knowledge or respect. Its all, "I want it now" and "I'm bored" and "I already did that. Its boring"... what a nightmare.

The amount of things they know is minimal at best. I received a 32 on my act while two of my friends received a 36 so I felt dumb... they just received their results and they had a 15 and a 17... and apparently that's normal in their school. I didn't say anything to them... but man... O_o

Edit: I'd also like to add, I always felt the previous generations to me had important information that I should try to absorb. The generations after me seem to put ZERO value on anything I or my predecessors know... and yet depend on me ALL the time to do EVERYTHING for them...
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-01-12 at 02:22 AM. Reason: adding more.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    Maybe some people are, but definitely not everyone is.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how it is with every generation. Looking down on the youth now is no different than complaining that Elvis's hips were outrageous.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

People born in the '80s are definitely awesome. Witty, charming, good-looking, the whole lot. What amazing people they are - but they are nowhere NEAR 40!

It has nothing to do with the time period. The older you get the smarter / wiser you get (at least in most cases). If you really wanted to compare intelligence between time periods look at how smart someone from the 80's was when they were 15 and then look at how smart someone from the 90's was when they were 15. (You probably wouldn't see much of a difference)

I think he means people born in the mid to late 70's that grew up in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    In the nicest way imaginable...you are wrong. There is nothing "more dumber" about younger generations.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG nyc81920 I feel practically retarded now to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.
    I was borne in 1983 and I'm 29. Your math is off.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders .
    Wut? I was born in the 80s and I sure as hell aint in my 40s!

15+ Year Old Account
    Usually it's because info had to be searched and learned, rather than now... where you just copy 'n paste wikipedia.

Also you had to work for everything and have patients, even with the internet or communication.... instead of now, where everyone is born and bread into instant gratification.

Life was better in the 90s...