Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Every generation is getting dumber. Aside from the hippies, people in the 70's are smarter than people in the 80's.
    Bold claim to make there with absolutely no proof to back it up.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Every generation is getting dumber. Aside from the hippies, people in the 70's are smarter than people in the 80's.
    No they arent... You are getting older.
    That is being said since ancient eras, its a cultural clash more than anything, and adults assuming they know best.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    No they arent... You are getting older.
    That is being said since ancient eras, its a cultural clash more than anything, and adults assuming they know best.
    My coach once told me, "I have been your age, you havent been mine". Let me ask you something, are you smarter than you were 5 years ago? If you say no, your doing it wrong

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    My coach once told me, "I have been your age, you havent been mine". Let me ask you something, are you smarter than you were 5 years ago? If you say no, your doing it wrong
    Then you can say that younger generations always appear dumber due to lack of life experience and education, but in general they arent getting dumber by the years.
    That has more to do with human development and life experience than it has with generations :P

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    My coach once told me, "I have been your age, you havent been mine". Let me ask you something, are you smarter than you were 5 years ago? If you say no, your doing it wrong
    Five years ago, you didn't know that the correct contraction for "you are" is "you're"? You still don't, evidently!

    See how terrible that logic is?

    Infracted: Please be respectful, do not post just to correct others' grammar
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-12 at 08:12 PM.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  6. #146
    The Patient Aviney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    262
    Yes, people from the 80s are smarter? How do I know, I was born in 1980. First hand experience FTW!

    OT: It's not that people from any era are necessarily smarter, it's just how we perceive them. Between age, maturity, and overall life experiences, us old farts from the 80s have seen a lot. Oh, and by the way, I'll be 33 in a few weeks, nowhere near 40...yet...

  7. #147
    Stood in the Fire WarlockJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Robot Island
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshman View Post
    I think one of the other posters hit it on the head. You yourself are just boring to people of this generation. Also as I pointed out you aren't the average person from your generation.
    While I can accept most of your post as completely valid, I fail to see how I'm boring to this generation. I'm a graphic designer with a bachelor's degree and I paint, draw and sculpt as well. I'm a certified computer tech. I can do carpentry, electricity and plumbing. I am very good at 'MacGyvering" together fixes for everything. I've built two hot rods from the ground up and do my own maintenance to my vehicle. I drive a motorcycle. I love racing. I love guns and weapons of all kinds. I'm big into survival and I have spent over a month in the forest on my own. I'm athletic and enjoy lots of various activities from swimming to jogging to bike riding, to hiking. I like gardening. I play a vast number of computer games. I have a movie collection of over 1400 dvds and blu-rays. I watch all sorts of tv shows about a wide range of topics. I love music of all kinds and don't think any genre is 'bad'. I read tons of books (mostly sci-fi / fiction). I love paint balling. Most people tell me I'm reasonably funny, entertaining and caring and a good listener. I do well in a kitchen. I love coffee.

    I have trouble fitting my entire life into my life. I am extremely well rounded and self-sufficient because I'm naturally interested in A LOT of things. I'm sure people will always find things about me they don't like. It's easy for you to say, "oh they find you boring". However, If someone cannot find something about me that matches their personality / interests and they find me straight up "boring", then they are probably "boring" themselves. That's a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of things to hate. If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.

  8. #148
    Basically if you were born in 1984, your the best. end of discussion

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    The "X" Generation mate.
    The X generation is from the 60s.

  10. #150
    Trivial Pursuit came out in the 80s

    /thread

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The X generation is from the 60s.
    Gen X is roughly 1960 to 1975. So there are younger Gen Xers that are "children of the 80s"
    Garth Brooks convinced me it's not living if I stand outside the fire

  11. #151
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,491
    Definitely not

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.
    I don't think this attitude is an appealing one to any generation of teenagers, perhaps this could explain their lack of interest in you? Not many people enjoy being talked down to and this line comes across as fairly conceited (although that could most likely just be because we're communicating in text and I'm misinterpreting your tone)

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Trivial Pursuit came out in the 80s

    /thread

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:01 PM ----------



    Gen X is roughly 1960 to 1975. So there are younger Gen Xers that are "children of the 80s"
    What? No. Generation X is early 60s-early 80s.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  14. #154
    Nah. We aren't getting dumber. And besides, people saying that all the teenagers are just so 'awful' compared to when they were in school...you do realize that every single generation has done that? We always look down at the newest thing, and reminisce about how our years were much better.

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    What? No. Generation X is early 60s-early 80s.
    I've seen the start of Gen Y as anywhere between 1975 and 1980. It's a fluid thing. Regardless, my point is, younger Gen Xers whether you consider them born in 1975 or 1979 had their formative years in the 80s.
    Garth Brooks convinced me it's not living if I stand outside the fire

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    While I can accept most of your post as completely valid, I fail to see how I'm boring to this generation. I'm a graphic designer with a bachelor's degree and I paint, draw and sculpt as well. I'm a certified computer tech. I can do carpentry, electricity and plumbing. I am very good at 'MacGyvering" together fixes for everything. I've built two hot rods from the ground up and do my own maintenance to my vehicle. I drive a motorcycle. I love racing. I love guns and weapons of all kinds. I'm big into survival and I have spent over a month in the forest on my own. I'm athletic and enjoy lots of various activities from swimming to jogging to bike riding, to hiking. I like gardening. I play a vast number of computer games. I have a movie collection of over 1400 dvds and blu-rays. I watch all sorts of tv shows about a wide range of topics. I love music of all kinds and don't think any genre is 'bad'. I read tons of books (mostly sci-fi / fiction). I love paint balling. Most people tell me I'm reasonably funny, entertaining and caring and a good listener. I do well in a kitchen. I love coffee.

    I have trouble fitting my entire life into my life. I am extremely well rounded and self-sufficient because I'm naturally interested in A LOT of things. I'm sure people will always find things about me they don't like. It's easy for you to say, "oh they find you boring". However, If someone cannot find something about me that matches their personality / interests and they find me straight up "boring", then they are probably "boring" themselves. That's a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of things to hate. If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.
    You do fun things you do boring things, to some the boring count probably outweighs the fun count. Why do 10 boring things and 1 fun thing, unless those people just enjoy you. They don't have to hate all of those things but given the option why would they choose to do things they don't enjoy? You may enjoy a wide variety of things but you can't and shouldn't expect everyone to also enjoy those things.

    I think that today we have different kinds of knowledge. In the past it was more likely that someone would be good with cars or machinery than it was to be good at say Chemistry or Physics. Today, not counting my father or his friends, I know 1 or 2 people who can take apart engines etc.., while I know at least a dozen people who are majoring in Engineering, Physics or Chemistry. Look at technology, my father can barely operate a computer but I could go to a 10 year old child and he could do it flawlessly. These are really the only subjects I could see with obvious variances in, hmmm, knowledge levels(?) between the two generations.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I've seen the start of Gen Y as anywhere between 1975 and 1980. It's a fluid thing. Regardless, my point is, younger Gen Xers whether you consider them born in 1975 or 1979 had their formative years in the 80s.
    No, no, you can't say "regardless" to that because it changes the argument.

    Even suggesting the term "formative" is ambiguous. The fact Gen X goes up to 1983, as I previously stated in this thread, means that people are off on their timelines. Could one suggest a person's "formative" years are teen years? Yep. Same goes for the ages of like 2-10, which are extremely formative. This means that Gen Xers also experienced formative years in the 90s, depending on your opinion of what is formative.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    I have trouble fitting my entire life into my life. I am extremely well rounded and self-sufficient because I'm naturally interested in A LOT of things. I'm sure people will always find things about me they don't like. It's easy for you to say, "oh they find you boring". However, If someone cannot find something about me that matches their personality / interests and they find me straight up "boring", then they are probably "boring" themselves. That's a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of things to hate. If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.
    Wow. Just wow.

    You might be into a lot of stuff, but you seem to be a huge douchebag to me after reading this paragraph, that might explain why teenagers like me don't wanna hang around you, you know.
    Proud European, engineer and asshole.


  19. #159
    basically the divide come from cell phones and internet. if you lived some amount of your memorable life prior to cellphones and internet, you understand both sides of what life was like. Kids thesedays only know one side, thats why they are so stupid. If you were born mid 80s then you fully understand both sides. Growing up without cells or net, then mastering both as they arrived.

  20. #160
    Herald of the Titans Suikoden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    2,709
    Well to be fair people from newer generations are a little more adapt at say something like an older generation wouldn't be. Or how an older generation may be much more well informed on something another generation wouldn't be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •