Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Banned Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    2,831

    Are people from the 80's smarter then other generations?

    I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.

  2. #2
    you wot mate.

  3. #3
    Over 9000! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9,546
    How are you meeting 40 year old people from the 80s? Assuming they're born in 1980, then add 40 and you get 2020. Are we in 2020? I thought it was 2013.

  4. #4
    Banned Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    2,831
    The "X" Generation mate.

  5. #5
    I don't think they are any sharper than any previous or current generation. What, to you, makes them so stellar?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  6. #6
    Banned Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    2,831
    the music and attitude.

  7. #7
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

  8. #8
    I know it's been going on for ages but when will people learn that their parent's generation didn't 'do it best' so many people now are in love with the 80s and I'm one of the few of my peers who actually is excited to be alive in this day and age. Our time has all the best shit, PLUS what the 80s had.

  9. #9
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    13,522
    The people who were born in the 80's said the same about the people born in the 60's. No, people were not smarter. It just appears that way because..... you know.... that whole age thing.
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

    General Off-Topic Forum Moderator

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire WarlockJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Robot Island
    Posts
    441
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was born in 1983 and my wife's younger sister and her boyfriend think I'm an F'ing Rocket Scientist!

    I will admit to having a wide band of skills from electronics, to cars, to guns, to building houses, to being an artist, etc. etc... I'm good at a LOT of things because I never wanted to depend on anyone myself. I make sure I can work with everything I'm interested in.

    However, any time I talk to them about ANYTHING they just say, "I don't get it, I don't know, I don't understand, blah blah blah"... It's like I was born on another planet.

    Also, I might add that my generation didn't have as much 'instant' gratification in entertainment. I had to 'make' things to do and figure things out myself. I didn't have an iPhone or the internet until I was almost 18 and then it was a brick phone and shit dial-up. Everything from their generation has NOTHING to do with patience or appreciation or knowledge or respect. Its all, "I want it now" and "I'm bored" and "I already did that. Its boring"... what a nightmare.

    The amount of things they know is minimal at best. I received a 32 on my act while two of my friends received a 36 so I felt dumb... they just received their results and they had a 15 and a 17... and apparently that's normal in their school. I didn't say anything to them... but man... O_o

    Edit: I'd also like to add, I always felt the previous generations to me had important information that I should try to absorb. The generations after me seem to put ZERO value on anything I or my predecessors know... and yet depend on me ALL the time to do EVERYTHING for them...
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-01-12 at 02:22 AM. Reason: adding more.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    Maybe some people are, but definitely not everyone is.
    Kuroiwolf - 90 Brewmaster Monk
    Youtube Account Twitch TV
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

  12. #12
    That's how it is with every generation. Looking down on the youth now is no different than complaining that Elvis's hips were outrageous.
    Go Hawks!!!!
    Troll the respawn Jeremy.

  13. #13
    Mechagnome Liagala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    620
    People born in the '80s are definitely awesome. Witty, charming, good-looking, the whole lot. What amazing people they are - but they are nowhere NEAR 40!

  14. #14
    It has nothing to do with the time period. The older you get the smarter / wiser you get (at least in most cases). If you really wanted to compare intelligence between time periods look at how smart someone from the 80's was when they were 15 and then look at how smart someone from the 90's was when they were 15. (You probably wouldn't see much of a difference)

  15. #15
    I think he means people born in the mid to late 70's that grew up in the 80's.
    http://i5.minus.com/iT9gBOC94PbmU.jpg NON SINE DIIS ANIMOSUS INFANS
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    In the nicest way imaginable...you are wrong. There is nothing "more dumber" about younger generations.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  17. #17
    Banned Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    2,831
    OMG nyc81920 I feel practically retarded now to be honest.

  18. #18
    The Unstoppable Force Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    21,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.
    I was borne in 1983 and I'm 29. Your math is off.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

  19. #19
    Legendary! Xanjori's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweland
    Posts
    6,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders .
    Wut? I was born in the 80s and I sure as hell aint in my 40s!


    18:58 - Knslyr: 3 hours. Felt very stiff in your hand after that I bet
    19:00 - Pendra: My hand felt pretty fucked up afterwards.

  20. #20
    Pandaren Monk Masterpd85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    'MERICA!
    Posts
    1,770
    Usually it's because info had to be searched and learned, rather than now... where you just copy 'n paste wikipedia.

    Also you had to work for everything and have patients, even with the internet or communication.... instead of now, where everyone is born and bread into instant gratification.



    Life was better in the 90s...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •