Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Every generation has always assumed the younger ones are dumbest, shallower, irresponsible and less respectful towards elders. Twenty years from now it'll be today's kids asking if their time's kids are dumber than they or their elders were.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Wut? I was born in the 80s and I sure as hell aint in my 40s!
    yeah I was thinking the same thing lol

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    you kids make me laugh. I'm talking about the 80's decade..you had to be a teenager of course during this time. It's called a generation for example "gen x" "gen y" etc etc

You didn't realize someone who is 40 has more life experience and time to mature/learn than some kid peer of yours lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the time period. The older you get the smarter / wiser you get (at least in most cases). If you really wanted to compare intelligence between time periods look at how smart someone from the 80's was when they were 15 and then look at how smart someone from the 90's was when they were 15. (You probably wouldn't see much of a difference)
    You also have to make them live the same years. A 15 year old in the 80's, would not know what to do with an iPad or most of our modern technology. In the same respect, both 15 years olds would be up shit creek if it were any time before 1920s...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    In the nicest way imaginable...you are wrong. There is nothing "more dumber" about younger generations.
    I disagree with you. Granted, there are always intelligent people. However, when I went to high school; everyone overall was working hard to prepare for their career. Most of them dressed well, spoke well, and took pride in what they were involved in.

I pick up my sister-in-law from her high school... all the boys look like girls. Everyone has their hair combed down over their face. Everyone acts like a retard. A disturbingly large amount of the girls are pregnant. Everyone is flunking out. Every single person has their face down in their phone; almost crashing into each other.

...hell you have to try VERY hard to find someone in the 16yo range that is well spoken, well dressed and intelligent. If you are 16-17 and you don't fit what I just wrote... congratulations... you're a minority. Don't waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How are you meeting 40 year old people from the 80s? Assuming they're born in 1980, then add 40 and you get 2020. Are we in 2020? I thought it was 2013.
    Was thinking the same exact thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    uh lol I'm 35 and was born in 77 so... I guess they taught us better math back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    you kids make me laugh. I'm talking about the 80's decade..you had to be a teenager of course during this time. It's called a generation for example "gen x" "gen y" etc etc
    Some Gen X people were born in the 80s. Its based on when you were born not when you were in school. The divide is somewhere between 80-84 so some Gen X are under 40.

The period of time you were brought up during does affect you a bit I think, but people born in the 80s ain't smarter, just a little bit different. Sociaty changes and so does attitudes, but we continously change as we adapt to the sociaty we live in. But one noticable difference to me is gaming, I was born Dec 84 and I think people my age spent a lot more time playing outdoors for example, kids these days are much more "indoorsey", we did have Amiga, Nintendo and Sega etc but you didn't play nearly as much as it seem kids do these days.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-12 at 02:44 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I was born in 1981 and i have a vague memory of what the 80s was like

IT SUCKED!

Apart from the music that is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Then that's what you should have said. "People from the 80s" implies they were born in the 80s.

Not sure why they'd be any smarter than anyone else. I've enjoyed the women I've dated from that generation, but I don't think they're any smarter than we are. Maybe a bit more mature on average, but that's just 10-20 more years of experience talking.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Some Gen X people were born in the 80s. Its based on when you were born not when you were in school. The divide is somewhere between 80-84 so some Gen X are under 40.
    Most of the Gen X cutoffs are around 1980, but it really depends on who you ask. If I were to go by your scale, I would be Gen X, and I certainly don't feel like Gen X. I feel like my generation is the one between Gen X and Generation Text,
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Most of the Gen X cutoffs are around 1980, but it really depends on who you ask. If I were to go by your scale, I would be Gen X, and I certainly don't feel like Gen X. I feel like my generation is the one between Gen X and Generation Text,
    I think near the edges of the generation there are people that have characteristics of both. Its not like someone born in 1980 is going to have the same attitude as someone born in 1975 but a totally different attitude than someone born in 1981. A lot of it probably depends on siblings and parents ages.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    I disagree with you. Granted, there are always intelligent people. However, when I went to high school; everyone overall was working hard to prepare for their career. Most of them dressed well, spoke well, and took pride in what they were involved in.

I pick up my sister-in-law from her high school... all the boys look like girls. Everyone has their hair combed down over their face. Everyone acts like a retard. A disturbingly large amount of the girls are pregnant. Everyone is flunking out. Every single person has their face down in their phone; almost crashing into each other.

...hell you have to try VERY hard to find someone in the 16yo range that is well spoken, well dressed and intelligent. If you are 16-17 and you don't fit what I just wrote... congratulations... you're a minority. Don't waste it.
    See you are talking mainly about style. Sure i don't think kids have it now...but they certainly don't think i have it either. That in no way relates to sharpness or smarts. Hell I could be very well dressed and still be a dope.

I think we also have some fairly rose colored glasses. I'm sure your high school class wasn't as hard working and well dressed as you remember it. Granted I'm sure a lot of it was...just like I'm sure a lot of high schoolers today are.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

How are you meeting 40 year old people from the 80s? Assuming they're born in 1980, then add 40 and you get 2020. Are we in 2020? I thought it was 2013.
    Normally when you talk about people from a certain decade you are talking about teenagers and people in their 20s. So if they are 40 in 2012 they were born in 1972 making them teenagers in the 1980s.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2013-01-12 at 03:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He could mean were teenagers/young adults in the 80s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    See you are talking mainly about style. Sure i don't think kids have it now...but they certainly don't think i have it either. That in no way relates to sharpness or smarts. Hell I could be very well dressed and still be a dope.

I think we also have some fairly rose colored glasses. I'm sure your high school class wasn't as hard working and well dressed as you remember it. Granted I'm sure a lot of it was...just like I'm sure a lot of high schoolers today are.
    You chose to focus on one part of my statement. I made 2 comments about style and 4 about common sense / intelligence. That is not "mainly about style". Not to mention, I definitely think there is a link between 'dressing for success' so to speak and dressing like a homeless person but I'll leave that alone.

I'd probably look at high schoolers with more respect if I didn't receive a "huh" every time I talk to them about anything (if they even bother paying attention to me in the first place; It's not like I'm someone they cant relate to. I'm almost 30, but I still get carded and most people think I'm around 22... Its not like they're talking to grandpa here.), if they could write a proper paragraph with something resembling standard grammar and actually took pride in having a legitimate hobby or skill that they worked toward honing (instead of spending all day texting on their phone or snooping on facebook).

Hell, most of the teenagers I run into have no idea what they're going to do for a career. They have no inkling of any talent or purpose they might have... they seem lost and skill-less with a bad education, no role models and no respect for anyone around them.

Lastly, I don't have rose colored glasses. I remember the groups of people that dressed 'special' and did poorly. They were nowhere near as large as they are now. I'd love to see the high honor roll and honor roll lists now a days... that's probably been lowered to a 'C' average so it looks fuller. >_>

Deleted
    My guess is that people from that age range:
    a. have experience and knowledge that they got over time
    b. are young enough to still be in touch with the now
    It will probably switch, in 10 years it will be the people of the 90s, and so on.

I'd say if you were born in the 80s and were a 90s kid you are probably smarter.

not all of us took technology for granted and got addicted to facebook and other dumb stuff, we actually took advantage of the internet and learned things.

Go read shampoo planet and Generation X by someone who was actually there and you can see that people in the 80s were just as vapid and moronic as people today.