Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, people from the 80s are smarter? How do I know, I was born in 1980. First hand experience FTW!

OT: It's not that people from any era are necessarily smarter, it's just how we perceive them. Between age, maturity, and overall life experiences, us old farts from the 80s have seen a lot. Oh, and by the way, I'll be 33 in a few weeks, nowhere near 40...yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshman View Post
    I think one of the other posters hit it on the head. You yourself are just boring to people of this generation. Also as I pointed out you aren't the average person from your generation.
    While I can accept most of your post as completely valid, I fail to see how I'm boring to this generation. I'm a graphic designer with a bachelor's degree and I paint, draw and sculpt as well. I'm a certified computer tech. I can do carpentry, electricity and plumbing. I am very good at 'MacGyvering" together fixes for everything. I've built two hot rods from the ground up and do my own maintenance to my vehicle. I drive a motorcycle. I love racing. I love guns and weapons of all kinds. I'm big into survival and I have spent over a month in the forest on my own. I'm athletic and enjoy lots of various activities from swimming to jogging to bike riding, to hiking. I like gardening. I play a vast number of computer games. I have a movie collection of over 1400 dvds and blu-rays. I watch all sorts of tv shows about a wide range of topics. I love music of all kinds and don't think any genre is 'bad'. I read tons of books (mostly sci-fi / fiction). I love paint balling. Most people tell me I'm reasonably funny, entertaining and caring and a good listener. I do well in a kitchen. I love coffee.

I have trouble fitting my entire life into my life. I am extremely well rounded and self-sufficient because I'm naturally interested in A LOT of things. I'm sure people will always find things about me they don't like. It's easy for you to say, "oh they find you boring". However, If someone cannot find something about me that matches their personality / interests and they find me straight up "boring", then they are probably "boring" themselves. That's a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of things to hate. If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.

Basically if you were born in 1984, your the best. end of discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    The "X" Generation mate.
    The X generation is from the 60s.

Trivial Pursuit came out in the 80s

/thread

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The X generation is from the 60s.
    Gen X is roughly 1960 to 1975. So there are younger Gen Xers that are "children of the 80s"
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.
    I don't think this attitude is an appealing one to any generation of teenagers, perhaps this could explain their lack of interest in you? Not many people enjoy being talked down to and this line comes across as fairly conceited (although that could most likely just be because we're communicating in text and I'm misinterpreting your tone)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Trivial Pursuit came out in the 80s

/thread

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 02:01 PM ----------

Gen X is roughly 1960 to 1975. So there are younger Gen Xers that are "children of the 80s"
    What? No. Generation X is early 60s-early 80s.

Nah. We aren't getting dumber. And besides, people saying that all the teenagers are just so 'awful' compared to when they were in school...you do realize that every single generation has done that? We always look down at the newest thing, and reminisce about how our years were much better.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    What? No. Generation X is early 60s-early 80s.
    I've seen the start of Gen Y as anywhere between 1975 and 1980. It's a fluid thing. Regardless, my point is, younger Gen Xers whether you consider them born in 1975 or 1979 had their formative years in the 80s.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

While I can accept most of your post as completely valid, I fail to see how I'm boring to this generation. I'm a graphic designer with a bachelor's degree and I paint, draw and sculpt as well. I'm a certified computer tech. I can do carpentry, electricity and plumbing. I am very good at 'MacGyvering" together fixes for everything. I've built two hot rods from the ground up and do my own maintenance to my vehicle. I drive a motorcycle. I love racing. I love guns and weapons of all kinds. I'm big into survival and I have spent over a month in the forest on my own. I'm athletic and enjoy lots of various activities from swimming to jogging to bike riding, to hiking. I like gardening. I play a vast number of computer games. I have a movie collection of over 1400 dvds and blu-rays. I watch all sorts of tv shows about a wide range of topics. I love music of all kinds and don't think any genre is 'bad'. I read tons of books (mostly sci-fi / fiction). I love paint balling. Most people tell me I'm reasonably funny, entertaining and caring and a good listener. I do well in a kitchen. I love coffee.

I have trouble fitting my entire life into my life. I am extremely well rounded and self-sufficient because I'm naturally interested in A LOT of things. I'm sure people will always find things about me they don't like. It's easy for you to say, "oh they find you boring". However, If someone cannot find something about me that matches their personality / interests and they find me straight up "boring", then they are probably "boring" themselves. That's a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of things to hate. If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.
    You do fun things you do boring things, to some the boring count probably outweighs the fun count. Why do 10 boring things and 1 fun thing, unless those people just enjoy you. They don't have to hate all of those things but given the option why would they choose to do things they don't enjoy? You may enjoy a wide variety of things but you can't and shouldn't expect everyone to also enjoy those things.

I think that today we have different kinds of knowledge. In the past it was more likely that someone would be good with cars or machinery than it was to be good at say Chemistry or Physics. Today, not counting my father or his friends, I know 1 or 2 people who can take apart engines etc.., while I know at least a dozen people who are majoring in Engineering, Physics or Chemistry. Look at technology, my father can barely operate a computer but I could go to a 10 year old child and he could do it flawlessly. These are really the only subjects I could see with obvious variances in, hmmm, knowledge levels(?) between the two generations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I've seen the start of Gen Y as anywhere between 1975 and 1980. It's a fluid thing. Regardless, my point is, younger Gen Xers whether you consider them born in 1975 or 1979 had their formative years in the 80s.
    No, no, you can't say "regardless" to that because it changes the argument.

Even suggesting the term "formative" is ambiguous. The fact Gen X goes up to 1983, as I previously stated in this thread, means that people are off on their timelines. Could one suggest a person's "formative" years are teen years? Yep. Same goes for the ages of like 2-10, which are extremely formative. This means that Gen Xers also experienced formative years in the 90s, depending on your opinion of what is formative.

Deleted
    Wow. Just wow.

You might be into a lot of stuff, but you seem to be a huge douchebag to me after reading this paragraph, that might explain why teenagers like me don't wanna hang around you, you know.

basically the divide come from cell phones and internet. if you lived some amount of your memorable life prior to cellphones and internet, you understand both sides of what life was like. Kids thesedays only know one side, thats why they are so stupid. If you were born mid 80s then you fully understand both sides. Growing up without cells or net, then mastering both as they arrived.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be fair people from newer generations are a little more adapt at say something like an older generation wouldn't be. Or how an older generation may be much more well informed on something another generation wouldn't be.

Deleted
    No. I for one, contrary to popular belief, believe that every generation will be a tad smarter than the previous one since they benefit from the progress we make now, and intergrate it into themselves from a younger age than we did since we discovered it later in our lives.

On the other hand, i also believe that the "dumber" people of every generation have more children than the "smart" ones, pushing the average iq down a notch. I'm not saying that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Occasionally it ends up very far from the tree, but more often than not, it still doesn't land very far away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    My coach once told me, "I have been your age, you havent been mine". Let me ask you something, are you smarter than you were 5 years ago? If you say no, your doing it wrong
    Actually, dear sir, people reach their intellectual peak during their teen years and their intelligence starts to slowly fall off after their 20s. It's experience that rises with age and experience has squat to do with intelligence or "smartness". Finally, intelligence as an average grows with every generation. IQ tests always have to be adjusted by 3 points per decade. Meaning that the average IQ of any generation compared to the one that comes after it is actually 92,5 compared to 100.

Your coach is an idiot with a superiority complex who assumes he can act like a brat because he's older (ironically). This is sort of like my 2 years older brother. Back when we were little kids, he'd assume he had the right to act like a brat because he was older than me. He had this crazy idea that there is no such thing as an older brother being arrogant towards his younger brother while the inverse was a possibility (a younger brother being arrogant towards his older brother).

This is just a silly anecdote, but my point is that it's directly analogous to what we're discussing right now. Older generations assuming they're smarter than the younger ones. Not only has it empirically been proven wrong, it's brashly arrogant, self-indulgent, heavily delusional and if you ask me, it displays behaviour that only little brats indulge in.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-12 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Actually, dear sir, people reach their intellectual peak during their teen years and their intelligence starts to slowly fall off after their 20s. It's experience that rises with age and experience has squat to do with intelligence or "smartness". Finally, intelligence as an average grows with every generation. IQ tests always have to be adjusted by 3 points per decade. Meaning that the average IQ of any generation compared to the one that comes after it is actually 92,5 compared to 100.

Your coach is an idiot with a superiority complex who assumes he can act like a brat because he's older (ironically). This is sort of like my 2 years older brother. Back when we were little kids, he'd assume he had the right to act like a brat because he was older than me. He had this crazy idea that there is no such thing as an older brother being arrogant towards his younger brother while the inverse was a possibility (a younger brother being arrogant towards his older brother).

This is just a silly anecdote, but my point is that it's directly analogous to what we're discussing right now. Older generations assuming they're smarter than the younger ones. Not only has it empirically been proven wrong, it's brashly arrogant, self-indulgent, heavily delusional and if you ask me, it displays behaviour that only little brats indulge in.

Sources or go to bed kid.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-13 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    No, no, you can't say "regardless" to that because it changes the argument.

Even suggesting the term "formative" is ambiguous. The fact Gen X goes up to 1983, as I previously stated in this thread, means that people are off on their timelines. Could one suggest a person's "formative" years are teen years? Yep. Same goes for the ages of like 2-10, which are extremely formative. This means that Gen Xers also experienced formative years in the 90s, depending on your opinion of what is formative.
    Again, I was responding solely to someone who was implying that no Gen Xers were children of the 80s. This doesn't preclude that some Gen Xers were children of the 90s.

And in any case: Trivial Pursuit. /thread
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2013-01-12 at 08:17 PM.