Poll: Do you spend that much on clothes?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    with clothes you (usually) get what you pay for in my experience.
    I only ever buy on sale and with %offs on items that usually retail much more in the same store and usually by the next day they've gone back up to their old price. I just get what I want quality wise, for the price I want. I don't buy tons of clothes I only buy during certain times of sales. I haven't had an issue with low quality.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    http://www.napapijri.com/no/down-jac...1303010ph.html

Are you sure you're looking at the right jacket? if it's 200-400 for it elsewhere it's probably another type or a copy.
    Newsflash. The actual designer sites are always more expensive than resellers and whole sellers. I have seen 100-200 price differences for the actual items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe on a really nice jacket. But otherwise no.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

$170 on a pair of shoes, but they're orthopedic and good for my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinch1984 View Post
    Jacket (last one I bought): $900
    Shoulder bag (last one I bought): $700
    Shirts: $150-200
    Jeans/Chinos: $200-250
    Sweaters: $200-500
    Ties/Belts: $100-200

It is also worth mentioning that I live in Denmark and every single commodity is extremely expensive here; especially clothing.
    what type of jackets are you buying, and what type of jeans.. and a 500 dollar sweater? This is almost lol worthy. When I did have the money I never shopped like that lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    somethings yes, somethings no. depends.

i do love me my outlet stores- still need to watch your prices.

Shoes, Jackets, and Suits - yes.

Everything else, naw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes. I usually spend (considerably) more than that on jackets and the like, but slightly less on shirts etc..

In my experience, you get what you pay for.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    $800 on an Arc'teryx Ski jacket, guess it will last me 2-3 year with really heavy use. Worth every cent of it.

Again the results on these mmo champion polls amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Sometimes. I usually spend (considerably) more than that on jackets and the like, but slightly less on shirts etc..

In my experience, you get what you pay for.
    I paid over $100 bucks for a pair of jeans. Absolute rubbish that started wearing through within a year of light wear. Much poorer quality than my $30 Denizen brand jeans from target...and look just as good.

I will buy a pair of trousers or shirts that are marked over $100 but only when they go on sail. A men's outifter near me often has buy one get three free. When they do that I'll go PAY for one pair of trousers and one shirt and live with three of each.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I paid over $100 bucks for a pair of jeans. Absolute rubbish that started wearing through within a year of light wear. Much poorer quality than my $30 Denizen brand jeans from target...and look just as good.

I will buy a pair of trousers or shirts that are marked over $100 but only when they go on sail. A men's outifter near me often has buy one get three free. When they do that I'll go PAY for one pair of trousers and one shirt and live with three of each.
    The notion of "you get what you pay for" is true for many things, and untrue for just as many things.

So far the shoes that have lasted me the longest were a pair of $40 Adidas. were 60 but they were marked down to 50, plus I had a 10 dollars off a purchase of 50.

I had a pair of $140 boots that lasted me all but 4 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Yes, Hard to avoid with winterjackets and shoes
    Heh, my parents had some sort of sweet deal with L.L. Bean (sports goods store in Maine) where I snagged a $90 winter jacket for $15.

But yeah, most expensive thing I ever bought was actually underarmor, which was something like $80 for both pants and shirt. But I work outside in the winter so it was a good investment.
    Putin khuliyo

I pay a fairly heft sum for clothing because I hate the retail shopping experience at the cheaper stores. True Religion brand jeans aren't drastically better than what you'd get from The Gap (or wherever) but I hate dealing with minimum wage retail staff. Holt charges through the teeth for their stuff but at least you're dealing with adults that treat give respectable service. I do think that "expensive" t-shirts feel and fit better than their less expensive counterparts - D&G and Diesel make shirts that just feel better on me. I'd rather buy 10 shirts that fit very well than 30 shirts that aren't quite right. I honestly have no idea where to go to buy shoes for less than $100 - they're just not for sale at that price in any store I've been in to.

My race gear (1-piece suit+boots+gloves+helmet) cost as much as a cheap used car but I prefer to count that as safety equipment rather than 'clothing'.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-01-13 at 02:57 AM.

I spent 462 dollar on a jacket. In my opinion that's not very expensive, since it will hold for many years. It's a long time investment to buy something with actual quality. I usually don't spend that much on clothes though, since I have other expenses as well. Ohh, also I bought a really good skiing helmet that cost about 620 dollar. Some people might find that a lot, I see it as a cheap "life investment". If you crash too hard you die, and money no longer matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The notion of "you get what you pay for" is true for many things, and untrue for just as many things.

So far the shoes that have lasted me the longest were a pair of $40 Adidas. were 60 but they were marked down to 50, plus I had a 10 dollars off a purchase of 50.

I had a pair of $140 boots that lasted me all but 4 months.
    Yeah. Some things are really a case of getting what you pay for and other things you are just buying a brand. Seems like so much about clothes/fashion is branding.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I pay a fairly heft sum for clothing because I hate the retail shopping experience at the cheaper stores. True Religion brand jeans aren't drastically better than what you'd get from The Gap (or wherever) but I hate dealing with minimum wage retail staff. Holt charges through the teeth for their stuff but at least you're dealing with adults that treat give respectable service. I do think that "expensive" t-shirts feel and fit better than their less expensive counterparts - D&G and Diesel make shirts that just feel better on me. I'd rather buy 10 shirts that fit very well than 30 shirts that aren't quite right. I honestly have no idea where to go to buy shoes for less than $100 - they're just not for sale at that price in any store I've been in to.

My race gear (1-piece suit+boots+gloves+helmet) cost as much as a cheap used car but I prefer to count that as safety equipment rather than 'clothing'.
    typically when i go shopping my interaction with the staff is minimal. Here, take my money. Bye. I don't need much more than that, and much more than that is not worth the premium cost of the product.

That's just me, though. Different strokes...
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    I might buy one special piece (formal dress, jacket, shoes, etc) for over that, but even then it's very, very rare and it's likely under $200.

Honestly though, the last formal dress I bought that I love (cocktail length though) was $65 dollars. One over 100 dress I bought that I really loved fell apart (lots of beadwork so that was pretty destroyed) after one wear. Got returned because of that... had it been sturdier though, it would have been worth it. It was very intricate and detailed, as well as being absolutely gorgeous and thoughtfully (fit-wise) constructed.

Edit: Oh, and I've bought >$100 specialty wear... like Ski Boots when we used to go every winter (we had flight benefits back then). It was easily cheaper than the rentals once my feet stopped growing, plus I have difficult to fit and support feet (congenital issues with bone fusion) so good boots were a necessity.

Similarly, riding boots. But even a "cheap" pair that are actual riding boots and not just fashion boots in that style are easily $60, and again, me and shoes don't get along well. Plus, I wore them for several years.

Also, bras... so far I haven't broke $100 but honestly, if it really really fit and it would at all last I probably would. Again though, I'm hard to fit. I've looked into customs and if I could get one for under $200 I'd probably lap it up. Sadly for anything of quality it seems to be more like $500 :c

Price isn't always quality though. My boyfriend is a butcher and he destroys shoes (between the cleaning chemicals, extreme wear, and all the blood). He's tried $30 pairs that he can just replace as-needed and also super-tough firefighter/military/police-grade boots that are easily over $100... so far, they all seem to last about the same. The expensive ones might beat out the $30s slightly, but they don't last longer than two pairs of the $30 shoes and they do cost a fair bit more than double.

Basically... sometimes I will, but it's fairly situational. My everyday wardrobe is cheap. Even if I made way more money it would probably just be a few spendier pieces (I admittedly love Michael Kors and a few other designers) mixed in with the cheap. Cheap is functional and it's not like it's made out of steel wool.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2013-01-13 at 04:08 AM.

Most I've probably spent on a clothing item was likely something around 180$ but it was for some Formal Shirt/Pant set and I don't remember the exact price(was something like 8 years ago) and that's obviously not common place, the next closest was a pair of black Nikes that retailed for something like 80$ but bought them on clearance for 20$(which I loved).

10+ Year Old Account
    Outdoor jacket, yes. Dress/formal outfit, yes.

Regular day-to-day clothes? Not that I can recall.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it when I pay over 30 bucks for a pair of shoes..... My military style winter jacket I wear WAS 170 bucks but I got it for 70 on sale.

Jeans, T-shirts, etc... Hell no. The best T-shirts I've ever had were some perfectly-fitting v-necks I bought for like 5 bucks a piece. Printed shirts don't appeal to me anymore. Solid colors fit any situations. Sometimes I'll go for some pretty cheap button downs as well, if I know I'll be covering them up, for the most part.

Nice coats, nice sweaters, nice slacks, nice shoes, nice watches. Those sorts of things will cost a pretty penny. The cheap stuff rarely holds up for very long.

I've not been in a situation in my professional career to mandate jackets as of yet. Who knows how that'll end up.

$100 isn't really that much for nice clothes, though. That's pretty modest. There are designers that sell $200, solid-color t-shirts. Fuck. That. Noise.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 04:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    $300 on a pair of jeans...
    No pair of jeans, a piece of clothing invented for manual labor, is worth $300. The most I'll spend on jeans is around $60. If you're paying that much for jeans, you're paying for the label.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.