Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
    I'm not religious, and I'm not trying to offend anyone who is. I'm just putting myself in that position and wondering what would I do. The OP asked if we would be angry. I know that if I had a faith, and was very devoted and strict with it and made a lot of decisions in my life based around that religion to find that it wasn't what I hoped it would be.. I'd be a lot more than angry.

    EDIT: Just a thought thats all guys, don't want to start a religion argument Just added my view here thats all.
    Wasn't my intent to start one, just saying what history tells us about what happens when new evidence/knowledge arises that doesn't confirm with certain religions.

    Chaos is also a possible outcome.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  2. #82
    Why would i be angry? its a far more awesome past than "we evolved from slime"

    Correct or wrong, the truth is there is quite a lot of things pointing out that our notion is history is quite outdated, human civilizations seem to be far older (around 12000) instead of the assumed 5000ish.
    Sometimes i watch it more out of getting to know really odd things other than "omg aliens" but who knows, its entertaining to think of it.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
    I'm not religious, and I'm not trying to offend anyone who is. I'm just putting myself in that position and wondering what would I do. The OP asked if we would be angry. I know that if I had a faith, and was very devoted and strict with it and made a lot of decisions in my life based around that religion to find that it wasn't what I hoped it would be.. I'd be a lot more than angry.

    EDIT: Just a thought thats all guys, don't want to start a religion argument Just added my view here thats all.
    Well I'm not religious either and that is why I asked why you assumed I was (if you did).

    there's a reason religions have survived multiple millenia and Ages of Enlightenment. They're built to last.
    Only some religions have survived for a long time, most have perished or replaced by a new one.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-01-12 at 06:42 PM.

  4. #84
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,746
    Not at all, but i will be wondering... why are they comming back? what do they want from us? they would want to become our masters or our allies?

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Only some religions have survived for a long time, most have perished or replaced by a new one.
    Yes, and just like we don't have to worry about how Neanderthal Man would react to the arrival of aliens, we don't to need worry about how the Cult of Isis would react either.
    Garth Brooks convinced me it's not living if I stand outside the fire

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Not at all, but i will be wondering... why are they comming back? what do they want from us? they would want to become our masters or our allies?
    If you created a new bacteria in a laboratory would you try to befriend it?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-01-12 at 06:52 PM.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If you created a new bacteria in a laboratory would you try to befriend it?
    Were the bacteria sentient, why not?
    But yeah doubtful a very advanced civilization would care much about us, unless they had some interest and that would be more a reason to worry than to cherish.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If you created a new bacteria in a laboratory would you try to befriend it?
    I think it's important to note that the general Ancient Alien theory doesn't indicate that aliens created humans, just that they kick-started human civilization. While I disagree with the Ancient Alien theories overall, it's still a very important distinction to make.

    I disagree with the Ancient Aliens theories because to me it fails Occam's Razor by an impressive magnitude. On one hand we have the possibility that our ancestors were simply smarter then we sometimes give them credit for, and on the other we have aliens arriving on Earth and teaching our ancestors about civilization (but leaving out other things like the basic fundamentals of science, which weren't well understood until the Enlightenment), and then leaving, taking with them all direct evidence of their presence. To me, the former is the far simpler explanation for any oddities about ancient construction.

    If it somehow turned out that the latter was true. I wouldn't be angry so much as curious to find out why the heck they didn't think things like the scientific method were important enough to mention but setting up themselves as gods and building gigantic structures with virtually no long-term practical value apparently was.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

  9. #89
    The Occam's Razor argument works even better like this: if there were ancient aliens, where's their garbage?
    Garth Brooks convinced me it's not living if I stand outside the fire

  10. #90
    I'd think it was some sort of trick and they were like the Aliens out of the TV programme "v".

  11. #91
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,604
    The crazy hairstyle guy from AA actually is an alien, though.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I'd think it was some sort of trick and they were like the Aliens out of the TV programme "v".
    Reptilians? I knew it!

  13. #93
    Stood in the Fire Zarintha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    392
    What? You mean it's not? Then why has it been on the History Channel?! D: Next you'll be telling me that other shows like Monster quest doesn't have any real monsters in it/

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Were the bacteria sentient, why not?
    But yeah doubtful a very advanced civilization would care much about us, unless they had some interest and that would be more a reason to worry than to cherish.
    We are a lot more advanced than other life forms on this planet but we are still interested in them and they aren't even from another world so I dont' see why an alien race wouldn't be interested in us just because they are more advanced.

  15. #95
    Mechagnome Bormes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    532
    I think.....the OP is an alien and he's cracking up reading this thread! Well played sir, well played. I'm glad to see aliens have a sense of humor too.

    When in doubt.....aliens.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    The Occam's Razor argument works even better like this: if there were ancient aliens, where's their garbage?

    They were smart, unlike us, and sent it all into that great big incinerator we see rise every morning.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    They were smart, unlike us, and sent it all into that great big incinerator we see rise every morning.
    All of it? Every single small piece of artifact was carefully disposed of? Yeah, I don't think so.
    Garth Brooks convinced me it's not living if I stand outside the fire

  18. #98
    Yeah I would totally kill myself cos of the self-hatred, life wouldn't be worth living, you know.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    We are a lot more advanced than other life forms on this planet but we are still interested in them and they aren't even from another world so I dont' see why an alien race wouldn't be interested in us just because they are more advanced.
    The thing is that we are mostly interested in these other lifeforms because of selfish reasons, and not because of peaceful mutual coexistence. We're not trying to make friends with them, we study them and eat them. So the point remains, an advanced alien civilization would more likely treat us like we treat animals that we consider to be "lesser forms of life" rather than show interest in us as equals. The difference between bacteria and us could be the same as us vs. a civilization that is capable of interstellar/galactic travel.

  20. #100
    I would actually find it awesome, especially as they didn't kill us all thousands of years ago. Although, one listen to a Justin Bieber album upon return and the aliens may have a change of heart and blow us all into oblivion. Really, though, I've watched about 1/2 of the episodes of Ancients and Aliens and the only evidence is 'humans couldn't have done that' which is a crock of shit. I think most people vastly underestimate the intellect of our ancestors, but that is not what this thread is about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •