Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Low talkers. Yes you

Why do people do this? Why can't you talk at a normal volume so us hard of hearing people can understand what the hell you said? The worst is the low-talker that is also half deaf so you end up going "say again" and him/her going "what did you say?"

Please for the love of God just speak up so we can hear what you are saying so we don't get annoyed by you. Been hanging out with a neighbour last few weeks and he's hell of a guy with great stories but I literally have to turn my ears to his lips to hear him. You would think a big ass biker looking dude should be able to speak above 10 decibels.

Omg its so frustrating. Anyone else know a low-talker that irritates you but you love them or afraid to say to them "SPEAK LOUDER!"?

I'm deaf in one ear so I really have to pay attention to people's mouths and when someone purposely talks softly drives me crazy.

It's because I have hyper-sensitive hearing. Don't hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's because I have hyper-sensitive hearing. Don't hate.
    so you purposely talk in a soft voice because your own voice hurts your ears?

Get them one of these.

I have great hearing and I don't get why people talk so loud, I think for the love of god I can hear you, stop it!!!

Anyway I am a low talker in some places. I was out recently and at lunch I didn't talk that loudly, mostly because... idk I just don't like talking loudly in public settings, when we got back to his place though I talked at a more normal volume.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just frustrating talking to these people. I end up just going "uhuh..uhuh..yeah..yeah" when really I didn't hear a damn thing they said.

My boyfriend has to sometimes ask me to repeat things if we're on the phone. I'm a soft speaker. To me, speaking at a normal volume sounds like I am yelling. That is simply how it feels/sounds to my ears and brain. And like Ruke, whether true or not, I, too, have hyper-sensitive hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    For me it's not about that. IDK about Ruke. But it's simply how I grew up speaking. It's not something we're exactly aware of.

Why do people do this?
    Because it's their natural speaking voice. o.o

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate when people speak quietly, especially when we're in a loud venue. I was once set up with a girl who was actually quite good looking, but I could barely hear her, so I had no interest in asking her on a second date.

I sometimes think I'm a bit hard of hearing, but every hearing test I've done has come back fine. I think maybe it's partly because I'm quite tall and so I get a lot more of the ambient noise in a room than shorter people in a crowd, who are surrounded by bodies to block some of that sound out, and who are naturally a bit closer to the source of other voices.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I know this girl whenever she talks you can't understand anything she says. It's so quiet I just started nodding and saying basic conversation responses haha. It's not that she speaks softly either, she is literally whispering.

EDIT: It kind of reminds me of this
    Last edited by worprz; 2013-01-11 at 10:30 PM.

Like Rukentuts, I also have really sensitive hearing. The reason I talk softly is precisely because of what you just asked here. It hurts my own ears if I talk too loudly. I just don't like it. Nobody can hear me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Loud people are more annoying than us low talkers.

Deleted
    Maybe they just feel nervous around your overbearing and aggressive nature?

I don't think I'm guilty of this but I hate raising my voice too high above speaking levels. On the flip side, I have pretty crappy hearing and english has always been kinda hard for me to make out at low volumes, so understanding people can often be a problem if they don't enunciate or speak loudly enough.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I hate when people speak quietly, especially when we're in a loud venue. I was once set up with a girl who was actually quite good looking, but I could barely hear her, so I had no interest in asking her on a second date.
    So you're in a loud venue and you are interested in her until you couldn't hear her...? Because of the loud venue? Maybe you should've taken the second date to see even if that was the issue, her speaking too low. That simply doesn't make sense of why something so trivial swayed your decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Maybe they just feel nervous around your overbearing and aggressive nature?
    I'm exactly opposite of that. That's what frustrates me..I feel embarrassed to tell someone to speak louder.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just tell them you can't hear them and if they could speak/talk a little louder? I don't see the problem, it's not like it's a rude thing to ask.

Here in Belgium it's the opposite. People generally speak too loud and I need to ask them to tone it down a bit so the whole street doesn't hear our conversation.

edit: Actually I had this problem last week. I went to collect a pizza I'd ordered and the girl behind the counter said something and I didn't hear it properly. I just said 'sorry I didn't understand, could you say that again?' and she just repeated herself but a bit louder. Not quite sure why you're embarrassed to ask someone to speak louder, but either way unless you do the problem wont be solved.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2013-01-11 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    So you're in a loud venue and you are interested in her until you couldn't hear her...? Because of the loud venue? Maybe you should've taken the second date to see even if that was the issue, her speaking too low. That simply doesn't make sense of why something so trivial swayed your decision.
    It wasn't that loud. I could hear most of the other people in the room. The quietness of her speech wasn't the only thing, but it was a major contributing factor, yes.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    Yeah, because being around someone you can't hear is fun. Many places "outside" are loud.

You know how people yell when they're deaf? Think the opposite. It's just natural to us.