Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I should have bought a Mac

I know I shouldn't be expecting a cd key with every product I ever buy...it's one of those "know what you're buying before you buy"-kind of things, but it's frustrating that in the current times a consumer still has to jump through so many stupid hoops. Just a quick chat session I had with a Windows representative from the windows store. I'm tired, it's late, I have work in a few hours. Good night and thanks for letting me vent.

Please go to post #25 on page 2.

You are now chatting with 'Jessica'.

Jessica: Thanks for contacting Microsoft Store Chat! How can I help you today?

Ryan: Anyone there?

Jessica: Yes.

Jessica: How can I help you?

Ryan: Hey, where can I purchase a fresh copy of windows 8? Not an upgrade, I just built a computer and want win 8 on it. Also, can I down load the file on my surface tablet

Ryan: And put it on a bootable usb drive from there?

Jessica: That's a great question! I'd be happy to help with your Windows questions today!

Jessica: I do apologize, but there is not a full version of Windows 8 available.

Ryan: Isn't there a "builder" version or something, I wear I've heard of it before

Ryan: Swear*

Jessica: I apologize, all we offer on our site is the Windows 8 Pro upgrade.

Ryan: Ok, well I have a copy of windows 7 but not the cd key. Could I still install windows 8 over that if I format in windows 7 first

Jessica: IF you have a full, registered, genuine copy of Windows 7 you will be able to upgrade to the Windows8.

Ryan: I have a license from college, where I got a windows 7 cd key for free for being a student. I have the disk data but not the cd key. Its my own legit copy though

Jessica: You would need the product key in order to activate the software.

Jessica: We have not heard from you for some time. Do you still wish to continue chatting?

Ryan: Yes

Jessica: How can I help you?

Ryan: So you're telling me I need to first buy a new windows 7 and then windows 8... what kind of customer service is that. I already spent $15 on the upgrade for a laptop I bought, but it had a defect so I had to return it. I still don't have a cd key for that which I already bought. Is there nothing you can do for me?

Jessica: Unfortunately, no. You would have to purchase a full version of Windows.

Ryan: Ahahah I can't believe I'm still wasting time with this windows junk. I'm just gonna return all this and switch to apple. You guys seriously need to get your heads out of your asses. Not you as a person, Microsoft as a corporation. I can't believe they have these policies for their customers. Ugh

Jessica: It is not a policy, it is the type of software you want to purchase. If you want to purchase an upgrade you have to have a fully functional OS before you can upgrade it.

Ryan: Yeah, nevermind. Have a good day

Jessica: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2013-01-12 at 04:13 PM.

You can download a trial version of windows 7 and install windows 8 upgrade from that without the need to activate windows 7.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    A quick google found this --> http://www.pcworld.com/article/20117...-retailer.html

$99,99 for a standalone OEM version..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I bought a copy of windows 8 from my local store that sells them.

I had some problems with the CD( wont take it ). After reading a little I found this and it worked well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-1310f9907bbd
    what

Deleted
    Obvious fake chat by an apple fanboy.
    Enjoy your overpriced gadget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416566

you just missed $20 off by 1 day. Would have been 44.99.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) There was nothing wrong with the answer she gave. Microsoft (through their website) does not supply an OEM version currently. They might later. If you go to Microsoft.com and try to buy an OEM version, it says to speak with local retailers.
    2) There is no difference between a "License" and "CD Key". You probably just confused her by thinking they are separate. LEGALLY, you are required to have a valid Wins XP, Vista, or 7 License/CD Key, to upgrade. You said you did not. You do not have a license, so you cannot legally upgrade.
    3) Microsoft probably cannot legally advise you to buy an OEM version, since technically you are not an OEM. People still buy it regardless.
    4) You can install Vista x64 or 7 x64, use a trial key or whatever key, and upgrade to 8. You can probably even do the 'skip for now' and upgrade. However, this is not technically legal, and Microsoft cannot advise you of that as an option.

Long story short; she was right, you were wrong.

Also: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416550
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-12 at 08:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    as someone sitting on an OEM copy of 8 pro, a true MS representative would tell you about the OEM/system builder licenses
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-01-12 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I know I shouldn't be expecting a cd key with every product I ever buy...it's one of those "know what you're buying before you buy"-kind of things, but it's frustrating that in the current times a consumer still has to jump through so many stupid hoops. Just a quick chat session I had with a Windows representative from the windows store. I'm tired, it's late, I have work in a few hours. Good night and thanks for letting me vent.

You are now chatting with 'Jessica'.

Jessica: Thanks for contacting Microsoft Store Chat! How can I help you today?

Ryan: Anyone there? etc.
    I'll stick with my glorious Microsoft capitalism, you pinko, Communist, Marxist, black, white, orange, Jewish, Christian, gay, homophobic, petulant, mature, Southern-Baptist hippie.

But seriously, Apple? Ew.

Infracted. Don't insult other users.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-01-12 at 04:06 PM.

When you wake up, I hope you will see things clearly and take advises from this thread. If not, good luck with another OS.

Too bad you were an ass to Jessica, all she did was helping you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Too bad you were an ass to Jessica, all she did was helping you
    Maybe not helping, but certainly working within the guidelines of her job legally, to make sure she actually keeps it.

Ryan: Hey, where can I purchase a fresh copy of windows 8? Not an upgrade, I just built a computer and want win 8 on it. Also, can I down load the file on my surface tablet
    You do realize that Apple doesn't sell their OS on discs anymore, right?

Even with a Mac, if you format your harddrive you have to install on older version of the OS before you could download the new one from their app store.

So, if your computer came with 10.7 and you want to put a fresh install of 10.8 on it, you first have to install 10.7 then use the App store to install 10.8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol...OP "has" a copy of windows from college and no CD key? lies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...dows+8&x=0&y=0

I don't think he put any effort into this "hunt" of his for windows 8
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted

*snip*

I don't believe a single line of that "chat" as I have 8 myself. You lie, and you lie badly. Nice try Apple-boy, but more effort needed next time

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I'll stick with my glorious Microsoft capitalism, you pinko, Communist, Marxist, black, white, orange, Jewish, Christian, gay, homophobic, petulant, mature, Southern-Baptist hippie.

But seriously, Apple? Ew.
    Is it wrong that I read that with the Frenchmen accent from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

OT: I do have to agree with others though, she provided accurate information and there are ways around as others mentioned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta View Post
    Is it wrong that I read that with the Frenchmen accent from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Yes.....but in a good way!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny thing, previous posts by the OP show that he has one, if not more Macs. There was a fair bit of internet rage regarding it. So, yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    lol...OP "has" a copy of windows from college and no CD key? lies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...dows+8&x=0&y=0

I don't think he put any effort into this "hunt" of his for windows 8
    completely overlooked this

a MSDNAA still has license keys, easily available from your school's webpage or IT department

Deleted
    I had a copy of Win7 and could install Windows 8 upgrade without even ever entering a single key.
    I don't know what this is about but this looks like a lot of fanboy bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I very very easily was able to search up both the upgrade and the full version when I was moving to upgrade to 8. I'm using 8 right now.

Also you were a bit unkind to the customer service rep - if this is real. I don't think it is, all he did was post this crap and then peace out? I love it when people use this forum as a blog.