Need help building new PC.

Budget
    $700-900. Anywhere between that range is perfect.
    Resolution
    Honestly, I never really understand this or how it worked. :/
    Games / Settings Desired
    Recently released games like Far Cry 3, Dishonored, etc or heavy duty games. Pretty much any game that requires a good graphics card I will be playing. If possible close to or max settings.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    None, this PC is purely for gaming. Also mods for certain games like Skyrim.
    Country
    US
    Parts that can be reused
    Starting scratch on the tower. I have the monitor, mouse, etc.
    Do you need an OS?
    If it's need and suggested for gaming then yes. Otherwise no.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    Nope, I have all of that. While they may not be perfect, I can replace those later on.

Additional Notes:
    I just want to make sure I can get everything I need in one swoop without missing anything. This is quite new to me and I'm trusting you guys.
    Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Pebrocks The Warlock; 2013-01-12 at 08:37 AM.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things.
    1) Resolution is the number of pixels on your screen. usually this is dictated by the monitor you have. They ask this question if you want to buy a monitor. If you already have one, it doesn't matter, because it's already set.
    2) You need an OS. OS is Operating System, i.e. Windows. You can either re-use your old OS from your old computer if you are scrapping/parting it out (Assuming it's Win 7 64 bit). If it isn't that, you need a new one.

This setup is a bit over budget, and it isn't clear if you need a large Hard Drive, or can deal with a small SSD. Can you bring over your old hard drive from the old system? If not, may switch option out for a HDD. Also, the 3570K can overclock. It is worth doing so, but if you feel you ABSOLUTELY aren't going to do so, then it might be worth dropping down to a 3470 to save a few bucks. Of course, it might be worth keeping 3570K to have that option there if you change your mind.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $880.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 03:46 EST-0500)

Everything from my old computer is staying in there. It will be used for personal use. Everything non-gaming. I COULD bring my old hard drive, but I would still need another one to use which ever computer.

Anyway, quick question:
    Why does the PCPartPicker part list show the total pricing at $927.87 while yours show $880.87?

And again, thank you very much for your time

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A few things.
    1) Resolution is the number of pixels on your screen. usually this is dictated by the monitor you have. They ask this question if you want to buy a monitor. If you already have one, it doesn't matter, because it's already set.
    It is also to help gauge the power of the GPU needed.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Everything from my old computer is staying in there. It will be used for personal use. Everything non-gaming. I COULD bring my old hard drive, but I would still need another one to use which ever computer.

Anyway, quick question:
    Why does the PCPartPicker part list show the total pricing at $927.87 while yours show $880.87?

And again, thank you very much for your time
    Most likely due to the Microcenter in-store only price on the CPU.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    I COULD bring my old hard drive, but I would still need another one to use which ever computer.
    Is a 128gb drive on the new computer then acceptable?

I just noticed this too. That appears to be PCPartPicker being stupid, and using the normal price (newegg) of $230 for the CPU, however using the Microcenter price of $170 in the BBCode paste that it gives me. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll see how to fix that.

The price you see (927) is accurate, which is why I said it was 'over budget'.. then got a bit confused myself at 880, and just assumed it was due to Mail In Rebates.

EDIT: I see whats wrong. I have to select "Preferred Merchant" when I copy the code, to kick Microcenter out. Microcenter I believe is local only certain places.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is a 128gb drive on the new computer then acceptable?
    Yes, for now. Sooner or later I will fill up, but by that time I would be able to buy more.

Quick note: Will this be a issue?
    MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.
    Taken from the Compatibility Notes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick note: Will this be a issue?
    Taken from the Compatibility Notes.
    No. It just means that there are 4x USB 2 ports and 2x USB 3 ports in the back, and 4x USB 3 ports for the front panel. However, that case (And keep in mind, you don't HAVE to get that case. I Just picked it because it's what I have, and is representative of mid range cost cases) only supports USB 2 in front.

The only thing these days that are USB 3 are newer external drives and pen drives. An external drive would just use one of the USB 3 in the back. I can't imagine someone having more than 2 external USB 3 drives, and if they did, they'd probably get a different motherboard to support that. The front panel ports will still run at USB 2 speeds, which is fast enough for pen drives (and anything else you might plug in the front, phone chargers, USB headphones, etc)

I love the case you choose so I'm sticking with that. Everything else is perfect. The price range is reasonable.
    This is truly amazing and you have my thanks, and my first born son.