Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Can you DENY Yourself the Next Expansion?

Hello, I remember reading about a player, who once he had heard the next expansion was "Mists of Pandaria", he denied himself of any and all spoilers! The name aside, he managed to avoid going to websites, hearing from other players, and continued to the play through Cataclysm. My question to you, is that once the next expansion is announced, can you deny yourself said expansion's trailer, cinematic, information leaks, class updates...etc?

For me personally I would like to do this! The only exception is to hear how classes are being updated from a close friend, but no details of spells. More or less "Yeah, DKs will be good" levels of vague detailness!

Deleted
    Probably. But I wouldn't want to.
    I would need to know everything about the class situation at least. Everything.

Deleted
    The only things I like to know are the name of the expansion, what its general theme is (in this case, Pandaren and the war between Horde and Alliance) and perhaps some new features like challenge modes and pet battles. Now when it comes to the beta, I can never seem to resist finding out pretty much everything important to me as a raider in terms of class balance (mages OP, rogues trash etc).

So to answer the overall question, no, I can't deny myself the next expansion

Yes I could. I think if I'm still playing wow when it comes I will.

I read the stories of the people that played PTR to death and were already jaded on release. By contrast the people that hid away from the hype saw it with fresh eyes and got to enjoy something fresh. Thats pretty rare these days. I know which group I want to fall into next expac.

Deleted
    so far with every expansion i been trying too avoid most information.
    i just follow how hunters develop so i aint caught off gaurd.
    and maybe a few screen shots, but thats were it stops. also the reason i didnt actually end up playing the beta even though i had a key from the pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Why would I? I need to know what changes are coming to prepare.

I don't care reading about anything story related though. Thats what I do save for the release version.

Deleted
    well ive denied myself playing mists xpac after lvling two toons to 90, played for about a month or so and thought, meh me no like pandaland or wow no more, so taking a well earned break from wow for the the time being. i always avoid finding out about new xpacs apart from the odd bit of info etc cos i like it to be fresh and to wow me ;p,, ive never done beta either ..
    but ya never know, the next xpac may re-enthuse me i do miss playing wow if im honest but i dont like pandaria..

10+ Year Old Account
    I did deny myself any and all information I would have to actively look for within websites and videos for MoP. It's hard to say if it improved the 'new' factor as it's hard to really say what it would have been like had I not done that. I was left very unprepared for the major changes done to classes, and I'm still learning new things about my alts to this day.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Deleted
    It's actually exactly what I did for MoP except the trailer/cinematic. Questing through all the zones for the first time was awesome, enjoyed it alot more than any 1-85 questing I've done. I am reading up on every possible spoiler for 5.1 and 5.2 though =P

Of course I 'could'.... But it's very very likely that I wouldn't.

Back in TBC I had a character in a guild which did something really cool - when we went raiding we weren't allowed to bring in outside tactics. We figured them out as we played and even if we didn't see any progress we did it our way. We had a lot of fun and even though some of us did know some tactics, we didn't mention them during the raids. It was a good thing especially for the newer players but we all benefited really. Some people would probably dismiss this as silly or worse, but people are different and do things for different reasons.

I don't avoid stuff like the cinematic but I do avoid the log in screen music when it's leaked and I try to avoid everything about the beta so it's all brand new on launch day. I especially go out of my way to avoid all new music and screenshots of new zones because there's nothing worse than a zone's terrain becoming familiar before I've set foot there.
    Nothing is sweeter in WOW than the first time you experience new content. Nothing. NOTHING.

I pity those who already know the game on the day an expansion launches. I weep for these men and women.

I broke my own rule because I was part of the first wave of Cata invites and I was just too hyped, so I made a deal with myself to only check out the Worgen and Goblin starting zones. I regret that decision to this day, intensely.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    You would basically have to avoid internet sites like the official WoW site and MMO Champ, and hope your guild mates and friends don't spoil it for you. But you'd have to do that for about a year everytime an expansion comes out. Meh.

Deleted
    I'd like to know what's up, instead of asking around in trade chat how I should play my class now or how I get to the new continent. Neither do I want to browse a heap of information while I'm playing the expansion so I can enjoy it. So that's a no

Keeping up with the class' I play is imperative. The rest is w/e to me.

I did this for MoP pretty much, only watched the trailer before release, read some monk info and looked at some new talents. Other than that I didn't look at any beta footage or screenshots, so no spoilers and I didn't even know what the zones were gonna look like. Had a lot of fun while leveling and running the new dungeons, raids and BGs. Did the same for Cataclysm also mostly because I had quit WoW during wotlk and wasn't much interested in the game at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPisthelifeforme View Post
    Hello, I remember reading about a player, who once he had heard the next expansion was "Mists of Pandaria", he denied himself of any and all spoilers! The name aside, he managed to avoid going to websites, hearing from other players, and continued to the play through Cataclysm. My question to you, is that once the next expansion is announced, can you deny yourself said expansion's trailer, cinematic, information leaks, class updates...etc?
    I already do this, well mostly, i do watch the cinematic, but other than that I stay away from forum where they give info.
    I really preffer getting to experience the new content without already knowing every detail about it
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep up with the basic information, such as location and new races, but I can usually avoid spoiling the storyline information, unless it winds up on the front page of MMO-C

Nope, I could not. I would not be able to resist looking at MMO champ :P

Heh, it could be interesting, and I like the idea, buuuuut I'm a sucker for spoilers, no matter how hard I try I can't ignore the hype.