Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I denied very much of MoP and regretted it. It was annoying to be the only stupid idiot that did not know anything about what's new in the game and in-game they don't explain jack. So I was forced to check mmo-champ and wowhead while leveling. Next expansion I will "spoil" myself again like I did with Cata, Wotlk and BC - it's just not worth it to be a stupid noob the first week
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

not trying to avoid it, just doing it
    well most of the stuff thats gets posted on mmo champ ill read. but only the headlines. most of the walls "hits you for over 9000" text i skip.

im done with hardcore playing when tbc ended

just wondering though but does new class stuff really spoil anyone? for me when i talk about spoilers i mean the storylines. what the quests are, what the zone looks exactly like.

i dont mind trailers or class balance or a short little summary of what the main theme or bad guys is i just dont watch play throughs and i dont fully read any threads about the story or quests once beta starts.

i guess thats really when i stop watching videos and stuff is once beta starts. excepts for things like mounts and pets i always watch those to see which ones ill go after
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Could never do that.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it introduces a new class, race, or both I won't be able to stay away.

If it's just a bunch of quests and a talent revamp, I can.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I like to know some general information as well as class changes going into it so that I can make a decision about what class to main for an expansion. I do however stay out of betas, as I like the content to be fresh when I start the expac. I don't think I'd be able to go in completely blind though.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

I will try it did somewhat work for MoP. Which did make the expansion so far seem very nice. In comparison to Cata where I read every single piece of info available during the beta. Then when it dropped it seemed boring. Granted I probably would like to get info about the classes I play. In the case of mechanic changes.

Maybe I could.
    But i wouldnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never, I need information. I do avoid playing in beta though, reading about it and playing through it are very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No way! I hate being the guy whos' like, "Warlocks have new resources for each spec?" 4 months into the expansion. There's so much new stuff usually when expansions come out I like the way we get more and more, and are not drowned in it all at once. It's also need to see the progress of various skills, talents and systems..

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPisthelifeforme View Post
    Hello, I remember reading about a player, who once he had heard the next expansion was "Mists of Pandaria", he denied himself of any and all spoilers! The name aside, he managed to avoid going to websites, hearing from other players, and continued to the play through Cataclysm. My question to you, is that once the next expansion is announced, can you deny yourself said expansion's trailer, cinematic, information leaks, class updates...etc?

For me personally I would like to do this! The only exception is to hear how classes are being updated from a close friend, but no details of spells. More or less "Yeah, DKs will be good" levels of vague detailness!
    After spending far to much time looking in to WotLK and Cata, I tried to learn as little as possible of MoP before it was released.

Other than knowing it was Pandas (and having the name Skadoosh saved for my Panda monk), I literally knew almost nothing about the expansion before launch day. Sure, I knew about the talent changes, etc. However, I knew nothing about the story and background of the expansion coming in to it.

My own personal opinion is that I have been far better of for it in the long run.

someone in my guild would spoil it for me so i couldn't deny my self knowing

I won't deny myself datamines, because I want to be on the same page with others when discussing lore. But videos I refuse to watch, they reveal how the world looks, which is something I want to experience myself. With Wrath I knew only what the official page told, with Cataclysm I watched way too much, with MoP I found this good balance.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    Ofcourse I can.. But it would be hard to moderate for me

Quote Originally Posted by PvPisthelifeforme View Post
    Hello, I remember reading about a player, who once he had heard the next expansion was "Mists of Pandaria", he denied himself of any and all spoilers! The name aside, he managed to avoid going to websites, hearing from other players, and continued to the play through Cataclysm. My question to you, is that once the next expansion is announced, can you deny yourself said expansion's trailer, cinematic, information leaks, class updates...etc?

For me personally I would like to do this! The only exception is to hear how classes are being updated from a close friend, but no details of spells. More or less "Yeah, DKs will be good" levels of vague detailness!
    I know a guy who did that also. Funny thing was even though he was so excited for the new Xpac he didn't want to know ANYTHING about it, he hasn't since logged in, not even once since my guilds final raid in Cata. Can't have been that excited for it lol

As for me, I don't want to. It's fun to see all the new and cool things I have to look forward to. Mind you I really knew nothing about the xpac. Class changes give me a headache to read about, I didn't see anything about the world I mostly just looked at stuff on the new race. Their dance, their voice, their animations etc etc other than that the rest of it was a mystery
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2013-01-13 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

I indirectly denied myself when it came to Wrath. I truthfully had no idea there was another expansion coming out, and was rather surprised when I found out about it a few days before launch.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Immersion.

Depends on how serious you play the game. If you want to play competitive, sure. If not, don't spoil yourself with too much -if any- information.

In that regard I think its pretty rare to not spoil yourself with any information because even on global newssites they talk about WoW. Even on public chats they speak about WoW. In both cases including new expanions. I mean, did he know the name of the new expansion...? So it is pretty much a relative meaning whether you look into the new expansion or not before playing it. This fellow took it pretty much to an extreme.

You are either with us, or against us.
    No informal fallacy, here, my friend. If you "like playing WoW", but get burnt out months in because you played the beta or looked at spoilers, then from that very moment you feel the burn out you no longer like "like playing WoW." You used to like playing WoW. Then you felt the burn out. That is the entire meaning of burn out. You've burnt out. You're done. WoW isn't fun for you anymore.

Unfortunately, so many people who play this game are so psychotically addicted to it that they don't quit when they get burnt out. They continue playing until they hate they game they play, and hate the fact they play. Yet still, they play. That's addiction.

Hating a few features but loving the rest of the game isn't the same as burn out, I'd like you to remember. That is probably where you thought the informal fallacy came into play, except I wasn't talking about the option of loving the game but hating certain aspects. I was talking about you enjoying playing the game, or not enjoying playing the game. If you enjoy even one aspect of the game, then you enjoy the game. If you are burnt out, by, definition, you don't enjoy playing any aspect of the game.

You may think my way of thinking is very black and white, but in this case, when WoW is such an addicting video game, it's healthy. When I feel burnt out, I quit until I want to resume playing. I don't sit and think, "Well I really loathe everything this expansion has to offer, but I DO love WoW so I'll keep playing until it gets better." That's unhealthy. That's why so many addicts who play WoW are unhappy people. They play something they (even if it's just at the present time) hate playing. Same situation goes for people who hate themselves when they are drunk, yet continue to drink. Addiction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    No informal fallacy, here, my friend. If you "like playing WoW", but get burnt out months in because you played the beta or looked at spoilers, then from that very moment you feel the burn out you no longer like "like playing WoW." You used to like playing WoW. Then you felt the burn out. That is the entire meaning of burn out. You've burnt out. You're done. WoW isn't fun for you anymore.

Unfortunately, so many people who play this game are so psychotically addicted to it that they don't quit when they get burnt out. They continue playing until they hate they game they play, and hate the fact they play. Yet still, they play. That's addiction.

Hating a few features but loving the rest of the game isn't the same as burn out, I'd like you to remember. That is probably where you thought the informal fallacy came into play, except I wasn't talking about the option of loving the game but hating certain aspects. I was talking about you enjoying playing the game, or not enjoying playing the game. If you enjoy even one aspect of the game, then you enjoy the game. If you are burnt out, by, definition, you don't enjoy playing any aspect of the game.

You may think my way of thinking is very black and white, but in this case, when WoW is such an addicting video game, it's healthy. When I feel burnt out, I quit until I want to resume playing. I don't sit and think, "Well I really loathe everything this expansion has to offer, but I DO love WoW so I'll keep playing until it gets better." That's unhealthy. That's why so many addicts who play WoW are unhappy people. They play something they (even if it's just at the present time) hate playing. Same situation goes for people who hate themselves when they are drunk, yet continue to drink. Addiction.
    Getting addicted to something is a process, but quitting an addiction is a process as well. It is the same with burn out. Addiction is very much one aspect of it, but it is more than that. It is also social pressure to help your friends to also achieve things like getting that rare mount or achievement or simply grind (gear, VP, kills, etc) more in general, prepare for the next patch, and so on, as well as receiving this help, and knowing they need you to show up.

There's a fine line where you can slow down when you get a burn out (like a work-related burnout) IOW play less in the case of WoW instead of taking a break or quitting. It isn't as if people suddenly *boom* have a burnout. Yes, the diagnosis perhaps, but there's been a lot going on before that.

Now, in my case, I have been bothered by several aspects of WoW I've come to understand better throughout the years (knowledge, understanding, learning) which by definition means I started to slowly but surely dislike aspects of WoW whereas some of those I dismissed and shove them away (ignored). When my guild collapsed the social factor was gone for me, and I didn't bother to connect in my new guild (tho about 35-45% of my former guild joined said new guild making it nearly a merge). It was the final straw, and that final straw was already almost reached before. So, still speaking for myself, that does not mean I completely don't like to play WoW because I can imagine myself enjoying something which falls outside of my dislike in WoW primarily the grinds an example of a feature I could enjoy is challenge modes. Which I've completed.

Its like that with addiction too: if you were previously addicted to something (and even before you become addicted), you can learn how to moderate your usage on that. Indeed, there are people who can moderate their smoking, coffee, alcohol usage to low dosage, indeed there are people who are able to use certain drugs like heroin and cocaine very casual without getting addicted to them (while they are known being highly addictive) as well as with gaming, sex, ...

Deleted
    Here's a massive vault of information concerning MMORPG and addiction

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_addiction.html
    http://www.nickyee.com/hub/addiction/home.html