[Mage] Ghostcrawler Analogies

Ghostcrawler:Mages as Censorship:Humanity

Now you go! We need some more of these.

I'm not quite sure the point of this thread, but I've got a "Ghostcrawler says stupid stuff about Mages" thread already going

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rent-state-5-2 if you'd like to take part.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    stupid as shit thread, stupid as shit reply

Infracted.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-01-12 at 02:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah I finally figured out what you meant by the original post. And I don't see any reasonable argumentation behind that analogy.

Wow, a little scary how no one wants to participate in this thread. What is going on? What is it that is hard to understand?
    And I don't see any reasonable argumentation behind that analogy.
    Can you explain what you mean Shangalar? I think I'm a bit confused.
    This thread was basically a vent for the mages who believe they are oppressed by dictator crawler. Just something for fun. Is that against the rules?

We're not being oppressed by anyone though :U

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghostcrawler is to well intentioned what MMO-champ posters are to driveling idiots, ready to throw fits about every minor balance change.

And no mention of 4.0-4.3 mage history? Or do we only wanna bring up what suits your feelings.

That's called "Confirmation Bias", right?
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Ghostcrawler is to well intentioned what MMO-champ posters are to driveling idiots, ready to throw fits about every minor balance change.

And no mention of 4.0-4.3 mage history? Or do we only wanna bring up what suits your feelings.

That's called "Confirmation Bias", right?
    We don't talk about Cataclysm. Those were dark times, much like today.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Yeah tell me about it, Mages really suffered in Cataclysm, especially those that got vertigo from sitting at the top of the DPS charts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    We don't talk about Cataclysm. Those were dark times, much like today.
    Cataclysm? Dark time for Mages? MoP? Dark time for Mages?

4.0 Fire dominated charts; got nerfed. 4.1 OK, Mages weren't in the best place, but Arcane was still useable and it's not like you were sitting at the bottom of meters. Oh, then in 4.2 you got a Legendary that catered specifically to Arcane and as a result Arcane starting crapping all over every other class. OH, then there was 4.3; where Fire was over 6% ahead of every other class/spec combo in the game on SINGLE target, had UNLIMITED Combustion spread (Scorch fishing dampened RNG on Impact!), and even AFTER the nerf, still destroyed the meters until Demo Locks were in full BiS and they were only beaten on Ultraxion.

Yes, Cataclysm was such a dark time for Mages; much like today where Fire was strong, got buffed to OP beyond belief; got rightly nerfed and Arcane was suddenly discovered to be broken.

A few QoL issues aside Mages were fine back in Cataclysm and are fine now.

/rant.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2013-01-15 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post

4.0 Fire dominated charts; got nerfed. 4.1 OK, Mages weren't in the best place, but Arcane was still useable and it's not like you were sitting at the bottom of meters. Oh, then in 4.2 you got a Legendary that catered specifically to Arcane and as a result Arcane starting crapping all over every other class. OH, then there was 4.3; where Fire was over 6% ahead of every other class/spec combo in the game on SINGLE target, had UNLIMITED Combustion spread (Scorch fishing dampened RNG on Impact!), and even AFTER the nerf, still destroyed the meters until Demo Locks were in full BiS and they were only beaten on Ultraxion.

Yes, Cataclysm was such a dark time for Mages; much like today where Fire was strong, got buffed to OP beyond belief; got rightly nerfed and Arcane was suddenly discovered to be broken.

A few QoL issues aside Mages were fine back in Cataclysm and are fine now.

/rant.
    Way I remember it being..
    4.0.6 at least after few first raids, fire sucked, worked really well on redic cleave AoE fights, arcane didnt work, frost was ok but scaled badly, arcane started to work only after we got SoW, but then progression was allready over..
    4.1 arcane got decent adjustments, SoW got nerfed, but still bis for whole expansion, fire didnt work, frost was low'ish..
    4.2 Arcane worked as high single target dps spec and funnily enough nearly every fight was single target with no movement, fire worked really well on alyzrazor cause silly crit buff, and frost worked ok with 4 set t12..
    4.3 Fire got a silly overbuff, they brought it back in line, but it was still quite strong when people got to BiS and Focus magic made it OP still, Arcane was still prolly the best progression spec for 4.3 though and mages were strong on progression, but in no way op and even got benched on few fights..

Now sure 4.2 and 4.3 mages were prolly too strong compared to some classes and 4.3 lasted wayyy too long and it made the issue even worse, all in all mages werent as good as you described, but it was more of an issue of other classes getting shanked than mages being too strong

And as for dark times, till 4.2 kinda.. and now, I can agree on his statement on mages being poorly designed and RoP/IW sucking badly, Arcane atm is a mess and on PTR even more a mess, fire is actually nice, but a bit low on single target and on ptr too low on single target, Frost for me personally feels meh, but some people like it I guess, it could use some changes aswell though and blizz seems to be working on them atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was more or less of a joke, suggesting that Mages were more than fine in World of Roguecraft: Casterclysm.

but i agree, pointless thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I think it was more or less of a joke, suggesting that Mages were more than fine in World of Roguecraft: Casterclysm.
    I wish I could agree with you but based on his posting history I feel it was probably no joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Way I remember it being..
    -snip-
    I agree - which is why I said that a few QoL issues set aside (current L90 talents being one, Cata Fire RNG train until you got good gear being another) Mages were pretty much "fine"; depending on your meaning of the word. If you wanted perfection only pre-nerf Fire (both MoP and 4.3 forms) would come close but there were still some QoL issues there. It's not like Mages had trouble topping meters on almost all fights post 4.2 except Ragnaros and that was mainly due to Blinking from traps and doing Dreadflame

Yes, the length of time 4.3 went on for does skew that slightly; but 4.3 was still half (or so) of Cataclysm, and during the vast majority of 4.3 Fire was King. IIRC correctly only fight Mages got benched on was Warmaster.
    Arcane was used for Spine/Zon'ozz and yeah, was overall a very good progression spec as 4.3 wasn't so much moving out of crap on the floor as it was 'performance' based progression - straining healers and DPS at top-tier progression when slightly under-geared.

Not currently on PTR but having read some seems like 6-stack camping still exists in a strong form with new Invo?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I wish I could agree with you but based on his posting history I feel it was probably no joke.
    This, hence why I commented.

Not currently on PTR but having read some seems like 6-stack camping still exists in a strong form with new Invo?

Works or not, its still a mess..

And IF I remember it correctly we got benched on madness aswell, but it werent such a problem cause it was a joke compared to spine.. On Zon'ozz arcane was actually pretty good, It got the adds down really fast and had some perks when it came to on demand burst in the final phase..

Deleted
    Works or not, its still a mess..

And IF I remember it correctly we got benched on madness aswell, but it werent such a problem cause it was a joke compared to spine.. On Zon'ozz arcane was actually pretty good, It got the adds down really fast and had some perks when it came to on demand burst in the final phase..
    Didn't disagree with it being a mess, simply asked if stack camping still existed I'll take the answer as a yes, though.

Madness I don't remember Mages being benched - Combust spread on adds was quite useful especially as T13 4PC reduced Combust's CD to the point it was still use-able during Cataclysm. Arcane was also useful for getting Tentacle down fast and amazing during Cataclysm as well. I could also be wrong, though.
    A Mage on my old realm actually raided the entirety of Cataclysm as Arcane (hated Fire and still does) and their guild got realm first Deathwing @ 5%. Arcane was really good in 4.3 but it just seemed to be forgotten amongst how strong Fire was on-release and how well it performed on certain fights which, again, skewed opinions slightly I think.

Didn't disagree with it being a mess, simply asked if stack camping still existed I'll take the answer as a yes, though.

Madness I don't remember Mages being benched - Combust spread on adds was quite useful especially as T13 4PC reduced Combust's CD to the point it was still use-able during Cataclysm. Arcane was also useful for getting Tentacle down fast and amazing during Cataclysm as well. I could also be wrong, though.
    A Mage on my old realm actually raided the entirety of Cataclysm as Arcane (hated Fire and still does) and their guild got realm first Deathwing @ 5%. Arcane was really good in 4.3 but it just seemed to be forgotten amongst how strong Fire was on-release and how well it performed on certain fights which, again, skewed opinions slightly I think.
    I was Fire for the start of DS and switched to arcane on fights that were better for it, And after ultraxion progress was done I arcane for the most of 4.3, mostly cause I was alliance and a gnome so could actually do top ranks with it in the end.

Deleted
    I was Fire for the start of DS and switched to arcane on fights that were better for it, And after ultraxion progress was done I arcane for the most of 4.3, mostly cause I was alliance and a gnome so could actually do top ranks with it in the end.
    I was actually a SPriest in Cataclysm but had various alts for progression; Mage being one of them.
    The rather frustrating thing that I find about pure DPS classes is the different gearing required for all 3; while I don't mind being limited to one (like Shadow), having 3 but only being able to use, say, 2 just irks me a little as I know that I could pull more on certain fights as Fire (yes, I am that competitive/much of a meter whore/elitist in terms of numbers). Oh well.