Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,982
    Since you're using fraps its likely that the video files are uncompressed, which will have trouble playing in any software. Try encoding one of the files and see if it works then.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  2. #22
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by genericsmurf View Post
    Avi is just a container format. The file suffix doesn't tell anything about the codec used.

    It could be worth the try to install an up-to date codec package. Or just try playing the files in an up-to-date portable version of vlc.
    But isn't the size of the files an issue? I mean, a 20 second video that's raw fraps footage is 1.11 GB, whereas a video that I re-rendered as wmv that's 3 mins long is like 280MB.

    Edit: Can't seem to find a 'portable' version.

    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Since you're using fraps its likely that the video files are uncompressed, which will have trouble playing in any software. Try encoding one of the files and see if it works then.
    Sorry, could you explain how to encode? Thanks.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 2013-01-12 at 03:14 PM.
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  3. #23
    Yeah, good idea, record something new, and see. But you can still make a copy of file and convert it to .wmv or .mp4 (or even again to .avi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Sorry, could you explain how to encode? Thanks.
    In any video editor program just change properties of file and save.
    Last edited by rashas; 2013-01-12 at 03:16 PM.

  4. #24
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    But isn't the size of the files an issue? I mean, a 20 second video that's raw fraps footage is 1.11 GB.



    Sorry, could you explain how to encode? Thanks.
    The file is that big cause its uncompressed. You can just use windows movie maker, record a short clip and save, drag it into WMM and just find "Save Movie" on the ribbon and choose either "Recommended" or "For High-definition Display" and just save it somewhere. Wait til its done and try playing it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  5. #25
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    The file is that big cause its uncompressed. You can just use windows movie maker, record a short clip and save, drag it into WMM and just find "Save Movie" on the ribbon and choose either "Recommended" or "For High-definition Display" and just save it somewhere. Wait til its done and try playing it.
    I've already tried this. I said earlier that I re-rendered a avi to wmv and it plays fine on both my pc and my external.
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  6. #26
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    I've already tried this. I said earlier that I re-rendered a avi to wmv and it plays fine on both my pc and my external.
    Then does the raw fraps file play on your computer?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    But isn't the size of the files an issue? I mean, a 20 second video that's raw fraps footage is 1.11 GB, whereas a video that I re-rendered as wmv that's 3 mins long is like 280MB.

    Edit: Can't seem to find a 'portable' version.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html - the zipped versions will work out of the box without installations (remembered them referring to portable in the past, sorry)

    But yeah, if it's uncompressed footage, then size is of concern and a probable culprit of your problems.

    (Going to leave now, watching the hobbit today - good luck)

  8. #28
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Then does the raw fraps file play on your computer?
    Still to find out if a new raw fraps video plays on my computer. But no, the raw files on my external don't play there or on my pc, as I said many times.
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  9. #29
    Or maybe those RAW Files are just heavily fragmented if you don´t use a SSD?

  10. #30
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Or maybe those RAW Files are just heavily fragmented if you don´t use a SSD?
    Formatting has been suggested on other threads. Is this a good idea and would I lose files? (My knowledge of formatting comes from reformatting my PC where that tends to happen. ;P)
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  11. #31
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Still to find out if a new raw fraps video plays on my computer. But no, the raw files on my external don't play there or on my pc, as I said many times.
    Then that is very likely your culprit. Try it with a new file anyway, if it doesnt play the raw file but plays the encoded one then you've found your problem.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  12. #32
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Then that is very likely your culprit. Try it with a new file anyway, if it doesnt play the raw file but plays the encoded one then you've found your problem.
    Is encoded just another way of saying the re-rendered one? (The wmv from the avi that plays)
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  13. #33
    First, it has nothing to do with the transferring to external HDD because files just don't magically change.

    My guess is that some update, something you installed, something thats running is messing with your playback of the file.

    While playing back file and seeing choppyness hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up task manager and view all processes then look what process is taking the most CPU.

  14. #34
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Is encoded just another way of saying the re-rendered one? (The wmv from the avi that plays)
    More or less, yes that. That's the word I was looking for, its late here so my brain is turning to mush so to speak, bed time for me.

    Hope I was of some help at least.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  15. #35
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    First, it has nothing to do with the transferring to external HDD because files just don't magically change.

    My guess is that some update, something you installed, something thats running is messing with your playback of the file.

    While playing back file and seeing choppyness hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc to bring up task manager and view all processes then look what process is taking the most CPU.
    I've tried playing the videos on a newly rebooted PC and it's still the same. So I don't really think the problem is simply that I don't have the power to play it properly at a specific time.

    Considering all of this, I was reminded that the audio plays fine and without problem. Could this be of significance to anyone?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 04:01 PM ----------

    Interesting, very interesting.

    I just recorded some counter strike with fraps, played it back and it was fine. So...why don't the raw files transferred from my external to my PC work if I can rule out that my pc can't handle it?



    So far I know that: My pc can handle watching new raw fraps files, but it can't play the ones from the external well. The external can't play the raw avi's, but it can play the re-rendered .wmv's.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 2013-01-12 at 04:03 PM.
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  16. #36
    Editting, saw your added post too late.
    Last edited by Obsession; 2013-01-12 at 04:29 PM.

  17. #37
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Have you recorded something new, to C: and try to play it without moving it anywhere?
    I just did...

    ' just recorded some counter strike with fraps, played it back and it was fine.'

    This problem is getting really irritating. My pc can play everything fine, including new raw fraps videos, but not the raw files from the external. The external can't play the raw files, but it can play the wmv's.

    So I don't know what conclusion to draw. My external hdd forever screws up raw fraps files? :/
    Last edited by Sarithus; 2013-01-12 at 04:31 PM.
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    I just did.

    ' just recorded some counter strike with fraps, played it back and it was fine.'

    This problem is getting really irritating. My pc can play everything fine, but not files from the external. The external can't play any video, but it can play the wmv's.
    Can you use something to check the bitrate of the AVIs and wmv? Usually recorded avi files are for the most part, uncompressed to keep all quality intact, whereas something like wmv is compressed a lot.

    Take that video you just recorded of CS, put it on your external, try playing it, then put it back on your internal and try playing it again.

  19. #39
    Brewmaster Sarithus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Can you use something to check the bitrate of the AVIs and wmv? Usually recorded avi files are for the most part, uncompressed to keep all quality intact, whereas something like wmv is compressed a lot.

    Take that video you just recorded of CS, put it on your external, try playing it, then put it back on your internal and try playing it again.
    Right, good idea.

    Hm. The counter strike recording was choppy when playing from the external hdd, which I expected, but it played fine when I copied it back over to my computer, which I didn't expect. So are the older wow files just incredibly corrupted or something?
    My Warrior
    Arms Proving Grounds Guide
    When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Right, good idea.

    Hm. The counter strike recording was choppy when playing from the external hdd, which I expected, but it played fine when I copied it back over to my computer, which I didn't expect. So are the older wow files just incredibly corrupted or something?
    It's probably because USB 2.0 speeds are too slow to record to the external HDD. Some of the frames probably have to be dropped.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •