10+ Year Old Account

Case cabling help needed.

So I have a Zalman Z11 Case, and a MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard.
    The motherboard was provided with a little block connector with labels as follows:
    HD_LED+
    HD_LED-
    RST_SW-
    RST_SW+
    RSVD_DNU

Other side
    PWR_SW-
    PWR_SW+
    FP PWR/SLP
    FP PWR/SLP

Now from case I have HDD LED twin (So I'm guessing that goes on HD_LED + & -), RESET SW (So again on RST_SW + & -), POWER SW (So yet again on PWR_SW + & -)
    Now left from the motherboard I have a POWER LED + and a -, do these go on the FP PWR/SLPs?
    Also does it matter which colour is positive/negative? Reason I ask is the cable colours vary, with power sw being one black + one green, reset SW being black and red, and HDD LED being red and white.

And finally what goes on the RSVD_DNU?

Also it came with a 2nd small block with SPK + & -, BUZ + & -, is this needed to be used?

Edit: Also am I right to assume the first block once cables are attached, clip into JFP1 on the mobo?
    Last edited by Lapetos; 2013-01-12 at 04:09 PM.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you read your motherboard's manual?

From doing a little searching RSVD_DNU == Reserved, Do not Use

And yes, the + and - matters, you have to put the proper connectors on the proper pins, all information you can find in your mb's manual.

Also to my knowledge, SPK / BUZ are for the motherboard's on board speaker or buzzer that will 'beep' during POST if your machine starts up correctly?
    Last edited by Vinho; 2013-01-12 at 05:40 PM.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

10+ Year Old Account
    The way you worded it is.. honestly kind of confusing. I'm not sure which parts exactly are referring to the motherboard, the little block, and the cables.
    "RSVD_DNU" = Reserved - Do Not Use. Nothing plugs into that.
    SPK/BUZ is for the onboard speaker, usually just for the beeps when the computer turns on.

For Power and Reset, color and +/- doesnt matter. For the LEDs, I believe + is color, - is white. As far as FP PWR/SLP, that is likely the Power LED. Plugging it in there to find out wont harm anything.

Manual says that the connectors coming from the case have pins that are marked with small triangles to tell you that they are positive.
    I found a picture that shows how the triangle looks like.
    Last edited by stalkerzzzz; 2013-01-12 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of the positive and negative, motherboard wise it's clearly labelled via the manual. But with the case cables the HDD LED, RESET SW and POWER SW are twin connectors (IE like 2 singnular female pins where the plastic is moulded together so they can't be seperated). Where as the POWER LED case cables are singular ended.

The little block I was talking about basically was provided with the motherboard, I'm guessing to make it easier to connect the cables, where the cables can connect to the block connector first, then you place the block connector on the motherboard... So you don't have to directly try and fiddle directly with the motherboard and the little cables.

So I take it as the SPK/BUZ on the mobo is optional? As I don't have cables that connect to them.

Edit: I shall check in the morning to see if these triangles exist on 1 side of the twin connectors. Thanks didn't see that in my manual.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    Manual says that the connectors coming from the case have pins that are marked with small triangles to tell you that they are positive.
    I found a picture that shows how the triangle looks like.
    Thank you! Although that is a triple connector mines just a twin, but really hoping does have the same markings! I shall check in the morning!
    Last edited by Lapetos; 2013-01-12 at 06:07 PM.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    polarity only matters on the LEDs, the power and reset switches can be plugged in any way

Yeah, the cable gets put into the block, the block onto the motherboard pins.

The SPK/BUZ (speaker/buzzer) just makes the POST beeps as the computer boots up.

Some motherboards use an LED system instead of beeps for POST diagnosis.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    polarity only matters on the LEDs, the power and reset switches can be plugged in any way
    Ah brilliant no need for me to worry then.
    Cheers all for responses, can't wait to get the build done so I won't need to ask so many questions hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    As has been stated switch wise the polarity doesn't matter as PC switches are momentary and not considered directional circuits as they lack diodes. LEDs on the other hand are directional, 9/10 times the black wire is negative and the colored wire is positive. Little mind bender for you power doesn't flow positive to negative, its the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Ah brilliant no need for me to worry then.
    Cheers all for responses, can't wait to get the build done so I won't need to ask so many questions hehe.
    When I built my PC this exact issue took me more time to deal with then almost anything else in the build. It was miserable.

15+ Year Old Account

This is how your primary block of connectors looks like. Polarity for power switch and reset switch does not matter. Polarity for the LEDs does matter: Your cable from the case should be labeled accordingly, but if it isn't, then usually the colored wire is the + (mostly the wires are color coded: white or black for "-", and other colors for the "+")

Sometimes the connectors look like this: http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...anelheader.jpg
    The left block is identical to the above. The right block is for the pc-speaker (the one that beeps at startup, if your mb does not have one already soldered on) and as some cases have a three-wide power-led connector, the one below the pc-speaker is redundant.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice find on the graphic pinouts Biernot. Visual examples are usually best for 90% of people, we are sight and sound oriented creatures after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?