Poll: Flying on WoW should have a cost per second

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Flying on WoW should have a cost per second

So there is this debate about the impact of flying mounts on the epicness of WoW experience, sense of danger that the outside world should have and the PvP factor for many realms.

Since we cannot just delete them (that should be wasting lots of work and a useful resource), why not then just make fly to have a cost? Yeah:
    If you want to fly you will have to pay gold for each second. Want to fly with faster mounts? You will pay more.

That would make flying mounts to be there just to be used as a last resorts for many and create incentives to use ground mounts more often. That is how it happens in RL actually, you just cannot keep flying forever.

Of course there are very rich players around that would keep flying like if nothing happened, but come on, they have earned it somehow.

What do you think?

Edit:
    We have a penalization for resurrecting at the graveyard now, with gold. And we have a penalization for resurrecting several times, with a time delay. Maybe a likewise formule could work?
    Last edited by Britovsky; 2013-01-12 at 07:37 PM.

What do I think? I like flying, I hate riding. I think all MMO without flying option are outdated. I don't like your idea.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

It should be removed completely and replaced with gnomish teleporters that let you get from quest hub to quest hub once you've walked/ridden to the quest hub once.

But it would most definitely break Outland to remove it completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    When are these guys going to get it through their head.

Who's experience are you trying to alter, anyway? If YOU wanna ride, ride. If you hate flying, don't do it unless it's completely necessary. Why would you care what anyone else was doing. You're worried about world PVP? Sorry, that was gone ages ago. There's plenty of other games that have it, however. You're free to enjoy those.

Seriously though, with all due respect, you seem to have an issue and you're going to have to get over it.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Please god no. That sounds fucking horrible.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Retarded idea imho, if every player in WoW would have shitload of time to play and have no social life, it might work then. Otherwise, NO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Britovsky View Post
    So there is this debate about the impact of flying mounts on the epicness of WoW experience, sense of danger that the outside world should have and the PvP factor for many realms.
    I haven't felt a sense of danger in the outside world since TBC. Nine times out of ten I consider mobs a minor annoyance that I obliterate in fairly short order if they daze me off my mount, or I ride through, eat in a safe spot, stealth while eating, mount up, and continue on my way.

Furthermore, flying has done little to hurt the epicness of the experience as it effects me. Seeing the Dread Wastes and Valley of the Four Winds from above can be just as breathtaking as on the ground.

Since we cannot just delete them (that should be wasting lots of work and a useful resource), why not then just make fly to have a cost? Yeah:
    If you want to fly you will have to pay gold for each second. Want to fly with faster mounts? You will pay more.
    Flying already has a cost: several thousand gold once you figure in basic flight, epic flight, Azeroth flight, Cold Weather flight, Pandaria flight, and Master flying.

That would make flying mounts to be there just to be used as a last resorts for many and create incentives to use ground mounts more often. That is how it happens in RL actually, you just cannot keep flying forever.
    Or people who don't like flying can use their horse and leave those of us who do alone.

Of course there are very rich players around that would keep flying like if nothing happened, but come on, they have earned it somehow.
    As opposed to those of us who bought the flight training and gotten our flying mounts the hard way?

What do you think?
    You're going after a jaywalker with a nuclear warhead.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I am ok how it is. But I wouldn't mind this kind of change.

Let's face it, WoW world feels more epic while you cannot fly.

Deleted
    What do I think? I think this discussion is getting tiresome.

Flying mounts have been here since TBC, pretty much with no changes to them. They're here to stay in their current form.

If you want to fly, then fly. If you want to run and take forever to get to your destination, but feel that the world is more epic this way, then do that.

15+ Year Old Account
    It does have a cost per second. Math it out. Each expansion has required a flight training.

To whom? That is extremely subjective.

This is a horrible idea. No thanks.

I personally don't like the idea of penalising players for using their flying mounts or to completely remove them all together.

They should stay in the game as they are, because it's more practical and enjoyable.

To those who dislike flying they always have the option to dismount and use a ground mount or walk.

To those who argue it ruins world pvp, it does but I think people's opinions are circumstantial for example a player 'abusing' the flying mount to escape combat after a fight they started isn't very fair or fun, but a player who uses it to escape constantly getting camped by a group of players is understandable.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, least not gold. Maybe a debuff that stacks to 100 or something, high altitude or cold air, that might slow you down to the degree where it's better to walk in some circumstances

10+ Year Old Account

Huh? Who are you addressing with this? More epic to who exactly? If the majority actually felt that way, they wouldn't use it. See how that works? The community of people that are against flying is so damn small, it's barely even a proper group. It's like people who wont buy sliced bread because the cutting process is unnatural. Sure they may think that have good points, but:

Who'd want to?
    Last edited by Luko; 2013-01-12 at 09:42 PM.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

We had to pay thousands of gold to get flying, epic flying, azerothian flying, cold weather flying, pandarian flying. To remove the ability to do it freely now would be detrimental to the community.

I believe the vote on this showed 70% of the folks didn't want flying mounts removed. I expect that this will show equal if not greater votes. No one wants to get punished for mounting up an getting a call or distracted and forgetting they were mounted.

This just seems like another PvP player wanting his gankfest . I cant imagine why any sane PvE player would want or agree to this. PvE players already have the options to ride a pony and experience the Epiciness of the ground.

I know some will say Apples to Oranges, but I just don't see many of these same "get rid of flying" people arguing that the Amish in their horse and buggy are expereincing the epiciness of life
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-01-12 at 07:36 PM.

You don't have to fly if you choose not to. It's better to have the option and not use it then to not have the option and want to use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want to ruin my game experience on a PvE realm because of world PvP or the "epic" feeling you get from the danger of running through a zone and having mobs chase after you? Once your max level, only creatures within 5 levels aggro on you anyway. How would that change anything. If you don't want to fly, don't. End of discussion.

I like my flying mounts and I'd like to keep them how they are. You already pay for flying on different continents/expansions.

Deleted
    No. I like flying, it makes it easier and quicker to get around. When I want to use a ground mount, I use one. Whenever I find myself in Ashenvale or Darkshore I always use ride my Steed or Saber because I like the Night Elven forests. Just because some people, who are a minority, don't like flying because it makes the game less epic for them doesn't mean they should be able to put a penatly on the majority of people for flying. If you don't like using a flying mount, then don't use one unless you absolutely have to. That's the only thing I can say.