Poll: Flying on WoW should have a cost per second

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Nay. Flying mounts are a part of the game. They're even required to reach certain locations. Restricting or removing them in locations where they were previously usable would only cause trouble in the game and in the community.

Ugh, no thank you.

If I want to experience the zones the way they were meant to be experienced, I WILL GET ON MY GROUND MOUNT. Hell, I often skim the ground while flying anyway since I like the scenery.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from traveling nearly everywhere on the ground, you know. There's no reason to force everyone down and cut down on convenience.

I don't play WoW anymore but I saw this at the top of the main page and say just how awful of an idea this really is.

PVP realms are not everything.

Get over not being able to gank people as easily to make yourself feel better.

Most of the arguments I read come from a libertarian thought: "Don't touch my money", "Don't like how flying mounts work? Don't fly"
    Other from a rights perspective: "You cannot make harder things that were born easy", "You cannot make exclusive something initially made for the masses"

To this, what if penalization was not with gold but with time? Like an "energy bar" for the flying mount.

Or just a certain amount of "conjured food for flying mounts" given by NPCs every week freely still limited.

I actually prefer to see the world from above, the day they introduced it i was so pleased.
    Sorry but your silly ideas and numerous threads lately about flying will never happen its here to stay!

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think the world has more scale when you see it from above. I also find it interestign to be able to reach places like the top of Neverest in Kun-Lai. They shouldn't remove flying. If you want to world PvP, use the zones that don't allow flying(old Tol Barad/new 5.2 zone), or, you know, just gank people doing dailies. I never understood the argument of "people can just fly away from me!"

Get them in combat and they cannot mount? It's not hard to keep a lookout for when someone rezzes. You can't expect to catch them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Britovsky View Post
    Most of the arguments I read come from a libertarian thought: "Don't touch my money", "Don't like how flying mounts work? Don't fly"
    Other from a rights perspective: "You cannot make harder things that were born easy", "You cannot make exclusive something initially made for the masses"

To this, what if penalization was not with gold but with time? Like an "energy bar" for the flying mount.

Or just a certain amount of "conjured food for flying mounts" given by NPCs every week freely still limited.
    Nope. Still a stupid idea. Once again, if you don't want to fly, don't fly. Leave my convenience and mounts alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senchae View Post
    Id be up for the removal of flying mounts, if you wanna fly, use the flight paths, DURP.
    I'd be up for keeping flying mounts. If you wanna run, use your ground mounts, DURP.

See how that works?

You have a choice of limiting youself to ground mounts and use flight paths, using flying mounts only when strictly necessary (example: the Skyrange area of Valley of the Four Winds), while letting those of us who are fine and prefer flying mounts to use them. Yet, no, you prefer taking other people's preferences away, it has to be your way or the high way.

To that I say "fuck no".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

cost per second? this has to be truely one of THE worst idea i have ever heard for Wow.

voting for" Top 10 Bad WoW ideas of the Year"

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    So there is this debate about the impact of flying mounts on the epicness of WoW experience, sense of danger that the outside world should have and the PvP factor for many realms.

Since we cannot just delete them (that should be wasting lots of work and a useful resource), why not then just make fly to have a cost? Yeah:
    If you want to fly you will have to pay gold for each second. Want to fly with faster mounts? You will pay more.

That would make flying mounts to be there just to be used as a last resorts for many and create incentives to use ground mounts more often. That is how it happens in RL actually, you just cannot keep flying forever.

What do you think?
    This isn't real life this is a fantasy game. I fi want to ride on my dragon I'm gonna ride on my dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    What do I think? I like flying, I hate riding. I think all MMO without flying option are outdated. I don't like your idea.
    This for the most part though. I started playing in the 2.3 patch cycle which means flying mounts have been here since the time I started playing. Ever since the day I found out that your character could fly in OL I wanted to do it. This notion that flying ruined the game or that it has diminished world PvP is incorrect to a point. Allow me to explain:

In classic when there wasn't much to do other than farm and raid there were people that got bored on PvP servers. This started the Tarren Mill/Southshore battles that everyone bases their argument on. The devs saw this happening and added BG's to the game. The amount of people participating in the World PvP in Hillsbrad diminished.

BC rolls around, flying mounts are added and another BG bringing the total to amount of BG's to 5. Southshore/Tarren Mill battles are non-existent. Blizz added a world PvP feature to each of the new zones in OL fostering a world PvP environment despite flying mounts.

WotLK comes along with a new huge PvP zone that is a no-fly-zone and an essential farming zone. Again world PvP is fostered and happens regardless of server type. The carebears with an adventurous side (myself included here) love this idea. They can PvP when they want without waiting for a BG queue and farm essential profession mats at the same time. There is no change on PvP realms because they have PvP enabled all the time. The WG battles were amazing when they were unrestricted, no wait time, and a huge zone to do combat.
    The QQ starts to flow in about how people on Normal realms shouldn't be forced to PvP and that not having flying mounts breaks the zone. Blizz adds the ability to fly and requires a queue for the zone.

I could talk about Tol Barad, but the fact that the Peninsula wasn't PvP enabled pissed me off.

My point is that the Devs allowed us to get to this point. World PvP will never be the way it was "back in the day" and the whole notion of "flying reduces danger" is crap. People have been bull rushing packs of mobs since the beginning of the game. Limiting flying mounts won't increase danger it'll just increase the inconvenience factor.

Then why do it just Flying mounts? If you want flying mounts to have this then have ground mounts have it too. And then GG millions leave. You want that?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Instead of cost they could try out a fixed amount of time you can stay in the air, paying gold to use your own transport for which you already paid alot would feel wrong imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying gold to fly? What sense does that make, at all? If you wish to adjust the mechanics on flying, you do not need to put a cost on it that no one wants.

Deleted
    So there is this debate about the impact of flying mounts on the epicness of WoW experience, sense of danger that the outside world should have and the PvP factor for many realms.
    WoW hasn't had an epic feeling for a long time but flying mounts were never the cause of that.
    Removing Flying Mounts will not do a thing for world PvP either, PvP in Molten Front (where flying mounts were banned) was still non-existent.

There are threads like this everyday, each person thinking they have a unique idea (most of which aren't) and where each poll "No" wins by a landslide.

Deleted
    considering there was pretty much no world PVP in vanilla WoW after BG's got added, it would seem your barking up the wrong tree if you think flying is the only reason for no world PVP.

there is no reward for world PVP so why do it when you are better served to just get on with your quest and ignore the other player as 5-10 honour isn't going to get you anywhere.

Deleted
    Some dismounting mechanics would fix it I would think, people would definatly be more careful. I play on a PvE realm though so doesnt effect me.

10+ Year Old Account

You bitch about something completely optional, then try to force your opinion on other people, and it's from a "libertarian" point of view?
    Hmmm

10+ Year Old Account
    -If you want to fly from A to B, you fly.

-If you prefer to walk or ride a horse from A to B, you don't use flying mount and let people choose their favourite way to travel.

Problem solved. I'll be expecting my Nobel Prize to come on a cyan package with blood red ribbon, with a tag saying "poop is a sin".

10+ Year Old Account
    lol trying to compare WoW to real life

Rather than removing or restricting flying itself, they could put more emphasis on making it not such a safe choice. Through most of cata, I could just hop on my flying mount, fly up a teeny bit, and be in a safe zone. If mobs had more ranged attacks, or there were more flying mobs, then this might not be so much of a problem. I remember back in BC, flying was actually slower than riding on the ground, so to get places quicker you'd ride, with the dangers inherent in that.

Lots of quest/zone development is either designed with flying in mind, or is made much easier with flying. For instance, herb gathering / mining got much quicker with the advent of flying. Anyone remember old Azshara, where if you weren't terribly familiar with the area it was often quicker if you fell down to just hearth and take a flight point back to where you were, instead of finding a way to be just right there?

If there's a cost involved with flying, based on time, it would have to be cheap enough so that more casual players could afford it. That means it might probably be cheap enough for my moneybags bank alt to stay hovering outside the AH just casually checking mail, and wouldn't impede my main at all to mount up whenever it would suit me.