Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    I've said this before, due to how little a shit I could give about the north anymore, but why cant they just hold a vote? And actually see what the people want to happen? I mean there is no harm in it because unless I am very much mistaken it would be a one side vote picking to stay in the uk. And then no one can argue because it would proof what the people want etc.

but whats the alternative to staying in the UK? going independant couldn't happen and i doubt Ireland wants to be footing the bill for them.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when the politically correct brigade try to mess with things. Just leave the damned flag alone.

Northern Ireland is sovereign British territory and until that changes, the Union Flag should be flown above Belfast city hall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    This is what happens when the politically correct brigade try to mess with things. Just leave the damned flag alone.

Northern Ireland is sovereign British territory and until that changes, the Union Flag should be flown above Belfast city hall.
    Where else in the UK is it flown every single day? Oh yeah, Buckingham Palace, that's the only place. The residence of the Queen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Kyurem View Post
    Where else in the UK is it flown every single day? Oh yeah, Buckingham Palace, that's the only place. The residence of the Queen.
    Its flown outside Stirling Castle, for one.

Off my porch!

I'M ENGLAND TILL I DIE, ENGLAND TILL I DIE, I KNOW I AM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M ENGLAND TILL I DIE!

Sorry...did I get carried away?

Deleted
    Its flown outside Stirling Castle, for one.
    Which is a castle, which is a royal (former?) residence. Name a political place where the union flag is always flown every single day.

Deleted

What troubles me about these protests is that I thought the days of sectarianism were behind us as a country. If a trivial thing such as a flag is able to cause so much unrest, then what happens if another, more serious issue arises one day? It's my opinion that if the Unionists want equality (many of the protesters are claiming this is a breach of their equality) then it's my opinion that both the Union flag and the Tricolour should be flown from the City Hall, it'd be a good way to show how far the countries come.

If you wanna look more into it you can use these sites which have recent news on them:

http://www.u.tv/news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/northern_ireland/

I'd like to see your opinions. I'm probably biased to the Irish side considering I'm Irish. What about you guys who haven't been affected at all by this, what do you think of it?

TL;DR: The Union Flag was taken from Belfast City Hall. There've been a number of violent and non-violent protests. What's your view?

I fail to understand whats "sectarian" about wanting to fly the Union Jack all year round? How do you come to the conclusion that because a group of people want to fly the flag of their nation sectarian? Infact it's baffling to me how you came to the conclusion that flying the Union Jack is sectarian, do you know what "sectarian" means?

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 07:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    No, the word I'm looking for is Presbyterian, there's a really huge difference between the protestant denominations in Ireland. Presbyterians are the majority and the most sectarian. I would agree with you if talking about Anglicans, Anglicanism is 99% similar to Catholicism.

Even if the book is the same the interpretations are so diametrically opposed it effectively creates a diferent conception of God. I doubt i could attend a Presbyterian "service" and realize what's going on.
    Wow, could you perhaps link some facts or sources to your bigoted views or do you just spout nonsense and hersay?

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    The problem is in NI, check the religious makeup there, the majority are lowlander scots.
    You Blame lowlander Scots for all the N.I troubles? lol you should read some books and stop making things up, you are delusional.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 08:31 AM ----------

Which is a castle, which is a royal (former?) residence. Name a political place where the union flag is always flown every single day.
    Glasgow City chambers has a Union flag+Saltire flying above it.
    Last edited by mmoc9e2fc074b9; 2013-01-13 at 08:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wine View Post
    I fail to understand whats "sectarian" about wanting to fly the Union Jack all year round? How do you come to the conclusion that because a group of people want to fly the flag of their nation sectarian? Infact it's baffling to me how you came to the conclusion that flying the Union Jack is sectarian, do you know what "sectarian" means?
    Are... are you serious? Did I EVER state that the flag flying was sectarian? I might have been vague, but that doesn't give you an excuse to jump to conclusions.

What I'm saying is, the violence ongoing in Belfast IS sectarian. Loyalists are clashing with Nationalists on the streets. THAT's sectarian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't give a fuck about flags or any form of nationalism. It's one thing to take pride in where you are from and where your ancestors are but to take it to the point of action where violence is possible and an outcome is just absolutely silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    I believe that everyone has the right to peacefully protest and voice their opinions and concerns - however, what is going on in Belfast is thuggish rioting with no real agenda. I had an interview in Belfast yesterday and had to rely on public transport - driving just wasn't an option. Thankfully I left plenty of time - when I arrived at the station I was told that trains wouldn't be running due to a security alert on the line, waited around for 20mins and the trains were up again. Got to Balmoral station and a sudden stop, had to vacate the train and wait on a bus into town. Made it to the interview just on time, thankfully. When leaving Belfast, myself and a train full of people had to sit in Great Victoria - on a train that wasn't going anywhere for 45mins before being asked to get off due to yet another security alert up the line.

My point is, these aren't protests, they are just blatant disorder that wouldn't be acceptable in any other part of the UK or Ireland. There is nothing more they can gain by taking to the streets - it's already top of the agenda and can only be settled in a political environment. The cost of policing and loss of tourism is essentially just burning money that frankly we cannot afford - incoming cuts to services, that will be yet another shitstorm. It is such a huge year for Northern Ireland - Derry/Londonderry getting city of culture, the G8 conference and the World Police and Fire Games. We really had a chance to shine and build on the success of recent years but the global-view has already been marred before any of our positives have a chance to kick off - all because "THEY TUK AR FLEG!".

/End-rant

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wine View Post
    It's cheap point scoring, it's the only place in the UK (NI) where it flies (not anymore in BCC haha) the whole year. So yeah better get in line with the rest of the UK.

Deleted
    On a lighter note about the whole thing - theres some hilarious videos on YouTube concerning the "Belfast Bigot"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTvFC7QNc0Q

10+ Year Old Account
    Scottish Parliament. They also fly the Scottish and EU flags there.

Deleted
    NI has many versions, there is the English looking one with a crest in the middle on the cross, the diagnooa cross, and a similar one with the crest in the middle.

Zarintha, Wales=/= NI. I have no idea but i would assume the majority of the population in wales (apart from the odd occasion is happy being part of the UK). NI Good number want to remain in the UK, the rest want to join Republic of Ireland.

Taking the flag down is impart no big deal, they probably feel its giving in to Irish Nationalists.

HOWEVER i can understand them kicking up like this, if they were to when it was down replace it with the Republic of Ireland's flag. (But it for those unsure, its like Clifornia, Texas, New Mexico which have a high % of mexican population, putting up the mexican flag on government buildings.)

Protests, can understand. Its just the protests get hijacked with people who want to cause violence. Best thing is the main protest, is for the protestors themselves to act on the rioters and give them to the police.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesp View Post
    On a lighter note about the whole thing - theres some hilarious videos on YouTube concerning the "Belfast Bigot"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTvFC7QNc0Q
    She works in a Chinese and she's been getting so many prank calls apparently haha, serves her right. "NO SURRRENDDAAAAR"

Scottish Parliament. They also fly the Scottish and EU flags there.
    This is getting a bit silly. You can't just name a place that flies many flags. Belfast City Hall does not fly the EU or Irish flag, just British (well, did).

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I don't really know a lot about the situation but to me it pretty much seems like Northern Ireland belongs to the Republic of Ireland. Personally, I support whatever the majority of the Northern Irish want.

Deleted
    The nationalist parties originally wanted it taken down all the time however the Alliance party trying to be neutral and fair to both sides suggested the 18 days in line with most other places in the UK.

While I do believe in peoples right to protest peacefully these are nothing but thugs who like to cause trouble. If they really want to restore the UK flag to flying 365 days of the year then peaceful protests or even voting for the Unionist parties into a majority of power is the way to go about it. Giving in now would be a sign that violence does work and can achieve your goals which I think is totally backwards in today's world.

I do support the Northern Irish in whichever decision they make, whether that be remaining part of the UK or joining the republic or flying the UK flag 365 days a year or not doing it at all as long as it is down peacefully and democratically. The violence is just hurting themselves.

And just for full disclosure I'm from Republic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idiots and hooligan scum are using sectaroinism as an excuse to fuck shit up.

In 3 years, we have the centennary of the Easter Uprising, this will be another excuse for retarded dipshits to cause trouple.

It has nothing to do with Protestants, Catholics and any of the history - purely an excuse for thugs to be thugish.

Also... do any of these thugs go to Church or even believe in God? Nah, most do not.

If you are RIRA or UVF/UDF/etc these days you are basically a gangster controlling the drig trade, robbing premises and handing out summary justice.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    All this chaos and hooliganism over a flag if this kind of chaos is going to happen every time a decision is made to display or not display a flag then no flag is worth the chaos and these idiots/rioters throwing petrol bombs more commonly known as Molotov Cocktails have proven themselves to be dangerous and shoulds be shot on sight if possible atleast the authorities had water cannons and used them to break up the protests/riots.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The quickest way to stop this rioting and hooliganism would be to declare martial law in Belfast and send in the army with shoot rioters on sight orders and i doubt the rioters and hooligans wouldd be brave enough to go up against armed soldiers.