Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2: something you didn't like first - but now you do

Hey! A lot of people, it seems, still don't know if GW2 is the right game for them. They may have heard about certain aspects of the game but they aren't sure if they could like that.

So this thread isn't about stating if you like the game or not. Don't state your positive or negative opinion of the game. This thread is about a specific aspect of the game.

Something you didn't like first (for example the no-trinity system) but when you played it you had a change of heart (now you love it and want to explain why).

I don't care about the other way around.If there is something you thought you liked, but actually hate now, feel free to make your own thread about this Would be nice if a mod would see that this thread stays on-topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the no trinity system would be a perfect example of what I liked the idea of and now I hate it in practice. It wasn't really replaced by anything but chaos. :/ There absolutely needs to be dedicated healers imo, else combat will just remain stale especially pvp.

Well, I for one hated the lvling process. I thought it to be so slow and "hard" until i learnt the "right" way to lvl, now i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Well the no trinity system would be a perfect example of what I liked the idea of and now I hate it in practice. It wasn't really replaced by anything but chaos. :/ There absolutely needs to be dedicated healers imo, else combat will just remain stale especially pvp.
    Im glad you read the post. Next time post something on topic or don't post at all.

---

Well. On my case, it was the weapon swaps. I hated at first but after a bit I enjoyed it. I still might've liked a more unique "bigger" way of one weapon making it more unique playstyle. But the combo that the swapping can actually make is just as good.

Huh. Well, everything in the game has worked and functions almost exactly as I expected from pre-release through closed beta, paid beta and release.

I thought the crafting was pretty lame & super grindy at first. But I like how simplistic it is and a direct vehicle to level and gear a character. Provided I have the gold it is possible to level and gear a character in a day using only 1 game system. That's pretty neat.

@Lazuli:

on topic: the thing I thought I'd hate was sPvP. I hated PvP arenas in other games, I had the feeling that I'm just a bad player and I'd lose all the time. It was pretty surprising that I didn't lose quite as much as I thought in the beginning when I realized that my hatred from pvp was only born from 1 thing: better gear. I tried to pvp in other games but as players who really played pvp quite a time they had so good gear that I didn't stand a chance.

In GW2 everyone has the same stats, so it was really perfect to get into PvP and I had no reason to learn the game by dueling with my friend but I just learned the game by playing other players... with the knowledge that they can't outgear me.

Then there is the sPvP lobby - a map where you can change your skills without having to pay a copper. There are npcs from each profession - bots so to say - where you can test your skills. Those npcs fight with the skill of a beginner, so it's a good way to practice your skills. On the same map you can find all the siege-equipment you can also find in the sPvP-maps, so you can practice shooting too. You even find the boss-npcs from the "Forest of Niflhel"-map, so really... the best sPvP-Tutorial you could wish for. Never thought I would have fun playing 5vs.5 pvp. Now I can't stop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Im glad you read the post. Next time post something on topic or don't post at all.

---

Well. On my case, it was the weapon swaps. I hated at first but after a bit I enjoyed it. I still might've liked a more unique "bigger" way of one weapon making it more unique playstyle. But the combo that the swapping can actually make is just as good.
    I don't care about the other way around.If there is something you thought you liked, but actually hate now,
    I essentially stopped reading there I guess, misread the post and thought he was saying we could do the other way around. No need to get your panties in a bunch, brohamlet. *sips coffee*

I didn't like the no quest log sort of deal but when I got used to it I loved the idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Jumping Puzzles. I sucked at things like that before and knew I was going to hate them, nope, I didn't know anything, they are the most fun thing in the game for me. I love them, and wish more games had things like that (done right of course, crappy jumping puzzles just make you rage as you keep going on to defeat it)

Deleted
    Most things have worked out as I expected.

But the down levelling I thought I would hate, but I've ended up being neutral about it. It still doesn't give you the feeling of mighty-ness that you get in some other mmo's, but the way it's done means that a down ranked 20 from 40 is still able to clear out groups of 5-8 mobs in a continuous pull, so from a practical pov it's not a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated the way stealth works, now I just love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I essentially stopped reading there I guess, misread the post and thought he was saying we could do the other way around. No need to get your panties in a bunch, brohamlet. *sips coffee*
    I didn't realize you can start a thread with a rule that it has to be "candy, nuts, and sunshine only." Seems right on topic to post about something you liked at first, but now don't like.

Let's keep this stuff on-topic please.

I thought traits would be useless minor addition to builds. But you can actually play with them.

Auto-looting. Having come from WoW where I would have to go digging through my bags to see what exactly I picked up after an auto-loot, I had the impression that I'd have to do the same in GW2.

Then I found out that it shows what you've auto-looted on the right side of the screen. That option's never being turned off again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't think I would like not having mounts since I had quite a large mount collection in a game I use to play.

In fact, when I first started playing I would out of habit hit my auto mount macro right after an event or heart to move on to the next one and felt a twinge of disappointment that it wasn't there.

This only lasted for short weekend when I saw the brilliance of not having them in this game. No mounts means I play with other people more, I'm much more likely to rez someone if they fall and more likely to join in an event I'm passing along the way to where I am going.

It all comes together with the core design of the game which is a social game, you play WITH other players, not against them.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I didn't think I would like not having mounts since I had quite a large mount collection in a game I use to play.

In fact, when I first started playing I would out of habit hit my auto mount macro right after an event or heart to move on to the next one and felt a twinge of disappointment that it wasn't there.

This only lasted for short weekend when I saw the brilliance of not having them in this game. No mounts means I play with other people more, I'm much more likely to rez someone if they fall and more likely to join in an event I'm passing along the way to where I am going.

It all comes together with the core design of the game which is a social game, you play WITH other players, not against them.
    In both WoW and GW2 I have found myself not able to catch up to a downed or troubled person before reaching them due to being too slow, so I really think it is debatable whether mounts work against players. Simple ground mounts with a 40-50% increased speed would do more good than harm imo and of course flying mounts will never make their way into GW but maybe ground will.

I've also thought up a way for GW to incorporate mounts, which is adding speed buffs to tonics, and having an everlasting tonic would be a never ending mount. So you change into say, a stag and gain a 50% speed increase, then simply press 1, same as any tonic and you will deform to normal. It would be a unique feature to GW and put its own spin on mounts, making EL tonics even more valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    In both WoW and GW2 I have found myself not able to catch up to a downed or troubled person before reaching them due to being too slow, so I really think it is debatable whether mounts work against players. Simple ground mounts with a 40-50% increased speed would do more good than harm imo and of course flying mounts will never make their way into GW but maybe ground will.

I've also thought up a way for GW to incorporate mounts, which is adding speed buffs to tonics, and having an everlasting tonic would be a never ending mount. So you change into say, a stag and gain a 50% speed increase, then simply press 1, same as any tonic and you will deform to normal. It would be a unique feature to GW and put its own spin on mounts, making EL tonics even more valuable.

FOR NARNIA!

Valar morghulis

Personally I didn't like the idea of no trinity, but now I... don't hate it. I still wish there were healer classes though. It seems a lot more realistic for battle to be a little chaotic though. I don't imagine a real fight between like 5 people would be anything but.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hated crafting. Now I love it. xD I found in confusing at first. Too complicated, lots of tabs.

I didn't like WvW at first but now that I understand it, it's basically all I do.