1. #1

    Mexico City emerging as an environmental model citizen

    Here's a pretty interesting one.

    Through what seems like (according to this article) no force or coercion from legalities (But with incentives) Mexico City has become one of the most environmentally conscious cities around. I'm not familiar with the air-quality scoring system, but I know that a score of 200 is way bigger than a score of 50. And I know they're not done yet.

    http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...urns-a-corner/

  2. #2
    Good for them, wish we could say the same about the U.S.

    Port of Houston = bleh.

  3. #3
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Good for them, wish we could say the same about the U.S.

    Port of Houston = bleh.
    What's wrong with the Port of Houston?
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    What's wrong with the Port of Houston?
    It's one of, or the most polluted areas in the U.S. Could use a bit of cleaning up.

  5. #5
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,576
    I never noticed. I don't spend much time down-bayou of the port though. I do live straight up-bayou from the port though.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  6. #6
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,537
    Doesnt Mexico City have some really bad plumbing issues, due to the fact its built on something structurally insecure.

  7. #7
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Here's a pretty interesting one.

    Through what seems like (according to this article) no force or coercion from legalities (But with incentives) Mexico City has become one of the most environmentally conscious cities around. I'm not familiar with the air-quality scoring system, but I know that a score of 200 is way bigger than a score of 50. And I know they're not done yet.

    http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...urns-a-corner/
    Im pretty sure that it helps them a lot with the legalities enforcing environmental restrictions. It could be worse than it was...

    http://www.photius.com/rankings/envi...ndex_2008.html

    They are number 47 on this rank. Belgium and Netherlands are below Mexico in environmental performance... GET YO SHIT TOGETHA!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I never noticed. I don't spend much time down-bayou of the port though. I do live straight up-bayou from the port though.
    Yeah, it surprised me as well, but I found out when I was bored reading about Houston on wikipedia lol.

    Meh, I live near Alvin, so I've been to the Port of Houston very very few times, I miss Pearland though, like it better than Alvin. (Just moved)

  9. #9
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Doesnt Mexico City have some really bad plumbing issues, due to the fact its built on something structurally insecure.
    I think its built in the middle of a lake. Something about the underground makes earthquakes more severe as well...

    National Geographic says so.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Good for them, wish we could say the same about the U.S.
    For what it's worth, the WHO ranks the US as one of the cleanest air countries in the world: http://www.statisticbrain.com/countr...air-pollution/

    I strongly suspect that our advantages over European nations are primarily a result of lower population density rather than policy, but it still doesn't make us look so bad. According to the same study, as per HuffPo (citation), the air in Washington, DC was cleaner than in Tokyo and much cleaner than Paris.

    Of course, I'd like to see us continue to get better, but we're doing pretty well, really.

  11. #11
    Banned Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    2,195
    Sounds like a great achievement. Are they done murdering canadian tourists yet? Thats what I want to know.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    For what it's worth, the WHO ranks the US as one of the cleanest air countries in the world: http://www.statisticbrain.com/countr...air-pollution/

    I strongly suspect that our advantages over European nations are primarily a result of lower population density rather than policy, but it still doesn't make us look so bad. According to the same study, as per HuffPo (citation), the air in Washington, DC was cleaner than in Tokyo and much cleaner than Paris.

    Of course, I'd like to see us continue to get better, but we're doing pretty well, really.
    I never realized that, thanks for the links, that is actually really really surprising information to me.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    I never realized that, thanks for the links, that is actually really really surprising information to me.
    As someone that had lung problems when I first moved to DC a couple years ago, I was surprised to see that we do well. Apparently the problems here have more to do with extremely high pollen counts and spectacular summer heat and humidity than with actual bad air.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As someone that had lung problems when I first moved to DC a couple years ago, I was surprised to see that we do well. Apparently the problems here have more to do with extremely high pollen counts and spectacular summer heat and humidity than with actual bad air.
    Aye, when I was younger I had asthma problems and whenever it got hot and humid here it was a noticeable difference in how much effort I had to put in for breathing.

    Happy now that it seems to have gone away, haven't had asthma troubles in 3-4 years so far.

  15. #15
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    It's kind of funny that the view of Mexico is largely associated with its border towns and cartel issues. That aside (which is a mighty huge aside, for what it's worth) it's not exactly a horrible place. Some of the University Towns there are absolutely gorgeous, and Mexico City is one of the bigger hubs of business, technology and education in the western hemisphere.

    Good to hear they're working on their environmental impact. To think that it's starting to really live up to its downright glorious past in the modern era is nice.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  16. #16
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    For what it's worth, the WHO ranks the US as one of the cleanest air countries in the world: http://www.statisticbrain.com/countr...air-pollution/

    I strongly suspect that our advantages over European nations are primarily a result of lower population density rather than policy, but it still doesn't make us look so bad. According to the same study, as per HuffPo (citation), the air in Washington, DC was cleaner than in Tokyo and much cleaner than Paris.

    Of course, I'd like to see us continue to get better, but we're doing pretty well, really.
    I think it is very much density that helps. Take Copenhagen for eg. Its pretty green - but air pollution from the Baltics are screwing up our rankings every time...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •