Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    To be fair, games like LOTRO don't actually have 30k of usable zone space, not even close. I haven't seen much about Guild Wars: Nightfall, but it's probably the same - not actually space you can walk around in. Asheron's Call is absolutely huge though, I've spent an entire day just running across the map in the past, even at crazy fast run speed it can take a while, so running around the entire world would take an inordinate amount of time.

Even barely counts, it's huge but it's space. It's an artificial inflation of size since you travel most anywhere jumping from point to point, and the planets, at least before dust, were just there for looks. So you aren't seeing much more than the same model planets and black emptiness.

Asheron's Call or Lord of The Rings Online are very very large....

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/16920 <- someone already posted this but it makes the point about AC.. and that game is from when? 99?

I discount Eve, its a space game, its supposed to be large. I do not count the distance between systems in that game as travel time is merely one method developers use to burn player time
    Last edited by ZeroWashu; 2013-01-14 at 12:42 PM.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Look: how much hours of work and how many artists eve needed for it's map? compare this to, for exmaple, Guild Wars 2. If you have any idea how hard it is to create an map for wow/gw2/etc mmos vs making a few backgrounds, look: every serious artist will tell you that making space backgrounds is dull and simple task...and making planet's textures even easier...

To make an eve map is like a basic 3d max task. Everyone can do it. To make an gw2/wow map, you need internal 3d modelling tools (like starcraft/warcraft editor) which is much more complicated. You need more artists and more planing, more time.

Can you see it now? The amount of work needed to make an eve map is nothing, compared to gw2/wow/etc map.
    You're arguing difficulty for reasoning behind EvE not being beautiful. So I see what you're saying, and I still think EvE is beautiful. It's not as though they couldn't have made an ugly universe. Kthx have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy XI of course. quality zones all of them and 1 dungeon is bigger than 2-8 wow dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingifrit View Post
    Final Fantasy XI of course. quality zones all of them and 1 dungeon is bigger than 2-8 wow dungeons.
    How many hours does it take to clear a dungeon? should take a while lol.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    Mh... I guess Lord of the Rings Online (with all the expansions) might be quite large ... zones are huge and there are a lot of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add a poll so we can see people's answers rather than reading through 7 pages.

Guild Wars 2 has been the biggest I've personally played, Not sure if it actually is though.

I never played but if it s fully empty copied maps , i can t agree eve is the biggest open world mmo game . U know gw2 got a new exp , which brought 4 big maps with 3 floor , fully explorable (u can use glide , so explorable part is like 3 or 4 x core map combine , played some and didn t face any of inv barries , mind limits ur moves it s oversized , also glide came to core maps , explorable parts increased so much ) . Think gw2 biggest now

Please don't practice the dark arts of necromancy. -Infracted. Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2016-04-03 at 06:53 PM.

No mans sky is larger than pretty much all the games combined, considering there a billions of planets that are each explorable
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I only really count open worlds with no loading screens between zones so...WoW for me. Can't believe if ArcheAge did or didn't have loading screens but the zones felt plenty big as well, especially considering the fact that you have mounts from a very early level.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I hear a lot about Everquest's size, number of races, classes, etc. etc. I've always been interested to try it. However, is the game still updated? Its not very mainstream anymore, at least not like WoW anyways. Can I still find friends on it? how are the graphics? Gameplay? Why did it become so unpopular? etc. etc.
    As someone who has a deep love for EverQuest, I just don't think it held up well over the years. It's a really, really niche game now.

WoW just blew it out of the water.

That being said, EQ is definitely the biggest, but it feels a lot smaller because the world is divided up by loading screens between zones. WoW "feels" bigger because it's all seamless.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow by far in terms of actual content. No other mmo is even remotely close as far as largest including wow and all expansions. GW2 including HoT would probably be 2nd, but it's a distant 2nd even though GW2 is quite large.

It's a bit of a loaded question because even a beginning Indie dev out there could technically make an mmo that's nearly endless just on space. It would be pretty simple to code a land texture to stretch on almost infinitely in all directions with trees every once in a while, which is essentially what No Man's Sky is doing just taking it one more step. The catch is actually putting content, quests, lore, etc. in a world to do which is what makes a game an mmo. That's why No Mans Sky is not an mmo, it's more of a sandbox game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Wow by far in terms of actual content. No other mmo is even remotely close as far as largest including wow and all expansions. GW2 including HoT would probably be 2nd, but it's a distant 2nd even though GW2 is quite large.

It's a bit of a loaded question because even a beginning Indie dev out there could technically make an mmo that's nearly endless just on space. It would be pretty simple to code a land texture to stretch on almost infinitely in all directions with trees every once in a while, which is essentially what No Man's Sky is doing just taking it one more step. The catch is actually putting content, quests, lore, etc. in a world to do which is what makes a game an mmo. That's why No Mans Sky is not an mmo, it's more of a sandbox game.
    no mans sky is one universe where everyone is in the same server so its 100% an mmo although its designed as a game for exploration, there is actually far more to do in no mans sky than there is ever to do in WoW. Content in wow is basically the same as it was in vanilla but this thread is about size primarily.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2016-04-03 at 10:30 PM.

largest world i have played is probably WoW, or Everquest 1, or black desert

Deleted
    Black Desert has no real large world..

I believe the game No Mans Sky will have the biggest "world".. infact it has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedurally generated worlds. And it would take 585 billion years to watch them all..

While people argue that No Mans Sky is no real MMO, as people will never run into each other.. with a game universe that big.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Healer View Post

I think it has a forced third person, which is understandable in an MMORPG, but the combat works the same as in the current Elder Scrolls games - click to attack, right click to block, etc. You don't target an enemy, you just attack it
    No, you can do 1st person or 3rd person view in Skyrim. You're right though with no specific targeting, you just attack.

Deleted
    I too like to necro 3 yo threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elite dangerous if you count the procedural generation ones. EVE is also pretty damn large, a single solar system is probably bigger than all ground base MMOs combined---however warp and jump bridges makes the galaxy feel considerably smaller than it actually is
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    No mans sky is larger than pretty much all the games combined, considering there a billions of planets that are each explorable
    NMS isn't a MMO, or out yet for that matter
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    Elite dangerous if you count the procedural generation ones. EVE is also pretty damn large, a single solar system is probably bigger than all ground base MMOs combined---however warp and jump bridges makes the galaxy feel considerably smaller than it actually is

NMS isn't a MMO, or out yet for that matter
    how is it not an MMO, its a universe where all players are in the same one, it may not be a traditional MMO where your meant to group up to tackle things but its an MMO non the less, it may still be in beta atm but its being released in a few months.

Elite dangerous is not really an MMO because there is a limit on how many players that can be in the same instance as you which i believe is 31 players. I would even say EvE doesn't count as you can't really interact with the universe that much its just point and click and wait.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2016-04-08 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    by that logic diablo is bigger because of infinite randomly generated zones and areas.