Thread: Debt sealing

Debt ceiling

Since the debt sealing fight is getting close I'm making this topic.

According to business insider http://www.businessinsider.com/treas...um-coin-2013-1 the W.H is ruling out the frankly silly idea's of the trillion dollar coin and invoking the the 14th amendment.

personally I can see why Obama doesn't want to go down that route, both the coin and the 14th amendment wouldn't really solve anything (namely the debt ceiling) and they would eventually prolonged the conflict.

Having said that as long as Obama sticks to his original plan about not negotiating the debt ceiling then I believe that Republicans will eventually cave. By taking a firm and clear stance (and refusing to even talk about it with Republicans) he will make sure Republicans will lose their so called leverage.
    Last edited by ati87; 2013-01-13 at 01:24 AM.

Lets get a title change Debt Ceiling
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Lets get a title change Debt Ceiling
    Nonsense we're sealing our debt in. It'll totally work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Question is, where do we put it? I don't think it would fit under a mattress sadly , we should outsource it to China!
    Yucca mountain. It'll totally work.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The debt ceiling is a completely pointless thing that shouldn't even exist, the only thing it does is make US politicians seem like reckless buffoons for gambling with the money of everyone on the planet every few years. Congress approved the budget, the budget makes the debt rise, so congress approved of the debt rising. Debating about it at arbitrary intervals with a terrible recession at stake is, frankly, moronic.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    The debt ceiling is a completely pointless thing that shouldn't even exist, the only thing it does is make US politicians seem like reckless buffoons for gambling with the money of everyone on the planet every few years. Congress approved the budget, the budget makes the debt rise, so congress approved of the debt rising. Debating about it at arbitrary intervals with a terrible recession at stake is, frankly, moronic.
    Agreed. Congress tells the president what to spend. Then when he goes to spend it, he has to stop at arbitrary intervals to go to congress and ask them if he can pretty please spend what they told him to spend already. It's just stupid.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    It should really exist as part of the budget that gets passed. Basically if the budget passes and the debt goes up, the debt limit is raised. It is stupid to have to approve paying back loans you already approved to be bought.

10+ Year Old Account
    your title is a bit confusing....i thought this thread was going to be about sealing in the debt via making companies pay their unpaid taxes or something like that.