1. #1

    Did they ever fix GoSac Chaos Bolt dot clipping?

    Haven't used GoSac for a while, did they end up changing it so the Chaos Bolt dots don't get overwritten by subsequent chaos bolts?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-01-13 at 02:35 AM.

  2. #2
    It still clips, but there's never a reason to Chaos Bolt twice in a row. Just stick an Incinerate between your 2 Chaos Bolts.

  3. #3
    There has never been a problem with Chaos Bolt DoT clipping, because while the DoT does clip, the remaining damage of the previous DoT is added to the damage of the new DoT (ie. no damage is lost).

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Haven't used GoSac for a while, did they end up changing it so the Chaos Bolt dots don't get overwritten by subsequent chaos bolts?
    Depends on what you mean by clipping. The DoT works exactly as other DoTs in the game do in that refreshing it causes you to gain ticks with the next dot (no lost total duration) but the damage of those refreshed DoTs is based off of the stats you had when the refresh happened. So if you had a super beefy Chaos Bolt hit and then a weak one refresh it, you'll get 2 ticks of awesome damage followed by 4 ticks of not-so-awesome damage.

    It is still possible to clip it if you manage to get the second chaos bolt to hit before the 2nd tick, but that's pretty difficult to do in practice, and is easily preventable.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 09:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    It still clips, but there's never a reason to Chaos Bolt twice in a row. Just stick an Incinerate between your 2 Chaos Bolts.
    No it doesn't. No need to worry about clipping in 99% of situations you'd encounter. The only time it's possible to lose a tick (clipping) is if the travel time of the second chaos bolt is significantly shorter than the travel time of the first, which rarely happens.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 09:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroto View Post
    There has never been a problem with Chaos Bolt DoT clipping, because while the DoT does clip, the remaining damage of the previous DoT is added to the damage of the new DoT (ie. no damage is lost).
    That's not true. Shortly after they changed it to a DoT component the DoT didn't function like a normal DoT and just clipped and you lost ticks. However they hotfixed the DoT to function like other warlock DoTs (including pandemic) like a day or so after the patch went live. It's still possible to clip (see my previous posts), but is significantly harder. It was that just casting 2 in a row would cause loss of ticks which SUCKED.

  5. #5
    As far as I know (all thanks to Zumzumzumzumzumzum etc. lol) it does not clip.
    The only way it can clip is if for example, you cast your first Chaos Bolt from 30 yards away, then cast the other one from like 5 yards without the first one ticking twice.

    It's aaaaaall good - Homer Simpson!

  6. #6
    I always thought it worked like Ignite, which would make more sense given the nature of the spell, but you're right it works just like any other DoT. You only want to refresh it just before the last tick, so that last tick is brought over to the second DoT. Since they removed the Pandemic smoothing, the new DoT's damage will be completely overwritten, but this will even out on average, so in any case the point is that you probably won't lose any damage because of this GoSac mechanic, unless the mob gains damage reduction, goes immune or dies before the DoT expires.

  7. #7
    I'd say it's not rly a huge problem as the dot shoud pretty much run out before your next chaos bolt is cast and hits the target (unless u've got some proc or something) i usualy use a felflame before my second chaos bolt just to make the damage seem more spiky

  8. #8
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    France, Illidan-EU
    Posts
    1,743
    i usualy use a felflame before my second chaos bolt just to make the damage seem more spiky
    Why the hell would you do that ?
    NEW Android App : World of Quizzcraft
    Test your knowledge of WoW with more than 1100 questions and 80 achievements!

    Web Apps : Deaths Analyzer, WoL Timeline, Megaera Dps Calculator
    WoW-Heroes

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    It still clips, but there's never a reason to Chaos Bolt twice in a row. Just stick an Incinerate between your 2 Chaos Bolts.
    Have you played destruction?

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Cebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Have you played destruction?
    hes the resident "demo locks are the best, especially cause im the best and i only play demo" lock. 98% of the shit he says is bullshit on these forums.

    @OP - Yes they did hotfix the dot clipping as discussed by brusalk above


    Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-01-13 at 10:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    hes the resident "demo locks are the best, especially cause im the best and i only play demo" lock. 98% of the shit he says is bullshit on these forums.

    Nice flame baiting.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Chaos-Bolt-DOT

    Funny how most of the posts in that thread agree with what I said. I don't play Destro, I was just repeating the way of handling the DoT that was given in that thread. No need to flame me about it.

    In regards to "98% bullshit", I spend most of my time on these forums trying to explain how to weave Meta for max Shadowflame damage. Feel free to tell me that's bullshit.
    Last edited by Teye; 2013-01-13 at 10:21 PM.

  12. #12
    Pit Lord Bryntrollian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Outside Black Gate of Mordor...
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Why the hell would you do that ?
    pvp fel flame the spell reflect !
    Synek - best rogue in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think I know what the acronym "tsg" is. It's not RBG's or Arena, random battlegrounds, or any form of dungeon or raid that I can think of. What does it mean?

  13. #13
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    France, Illidan-EU
    Posts
    1,743
    Funny how most of the posts in that thread agree with what I said. I don't play Destro, I was just repeating the way of handling the DoT that was given in that thread. No need to flame me about it.
    It has been hotfixed just after the patch.
    NEW Android App : World of Quizzcraft
    Test your knowledge of WoW with more than 1100 questions and 80 achievements!

    Web Apps : Deaths Analyzer, WoL Timeline, Megaera Dps Calculator
    WoW-Heroes

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    It has been hotfixed just after the patch.

    I'm not disagreeing, I was just saying that I don't deserve to be flamed for repeating what that thread said. He made it very clear that he knows I play Demonology, so to jump down my throat over a Destro question is immature.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    pvp fel flame the spell reflect !
    yeh i was talking about pvp idd ^^
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Blazefurytv?feature=mhee - Warlock Guides, Solo old content, small guides, raid footage and much more!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    I'm not disagreeing, I was just saying that I don't deserve to be flamed for repeating what that thread said. He made it very clear that he knows I play Demonology, so to jump down my throat over a Destro question is immature.
    I wasn't being sarcastic in asking if you'd played destro, maybe you played it as an offspec and didn't realize clipping had been fixed. Didn't mean to cause any drama, we don't all have to be besties but we can all learn from eachother at one time or another.

  17. #17
    I think so too,20% should be increaed to CB,rather than a dot.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by shinewaylee View Post
    I think so too,20% should be increaed to CB,rather than a dot.
    Kinda like it was? When people cried that locks had decent damage on pve geared players? lol

  19. #19
    Chaos Bolt hits for 170k in my full malevolent lock with all cooldowns up. 90k without.

    With 410k health pools against people in equivalent gear+fortitude, I really don't see why the dot is needed anymore.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Chaos Bolt hits for 170k in my full malevolent lock with all cooldowns up. 90k without.

    With 410k health pools against people in equivalent gear+fortitude, I really don't see why the dot is needed anymore.
    Because people in pve gear were getting hit by it and qq'ing, the dot is there now.. it's doubtful they'll take it out anytime soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •