Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    I am Murloc! Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    5,247

    Inventor of Hawaiian pizza has passed away :(

    LONDON, Ont. — Sam Panopoulos, the man credited with inventing the Hawaiian pizza, has died at the age of 83.

    According to an online obituary he’d been in hospital in London, Ont., when he passed away suddenly on Thursday.

    Panopoulos was born in Greece and emigrated to Canada in 1954 where he and his two brothers operated a number of restaurants.

    He said he made the first Hawaiian pizza in 1962 at the Satellite Restaurant in Chatham, Ont., after deciding that chunks of canned pineapple might make a tasty topping.

    His culinary instincts eventually bore fruit — his creation became a staple of pizza menus the world over, though it did have a healthy portion of critics.

    Iceland’s president, Guoni Johannesson, recently caused a minor online furor by pronouncing to some school children that pineapple did not belong on pizza, and suggested the combination should be banned.

    Among those coming to the defence of Hawaiian pizza was Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who pledged his support in a tweet.

    Panopoulos’ funeral is scheduled for Monday in London, Ont.
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy -- Benjamin Franklin
    My post count is actually the next great american novel. each piece connects to the next and tells one of times greatest stories -- Me

  2. #2
    Rest in peace you culinary genius.

  3. #3
    He died in the hague for crimes against humanity.

  4. #4
    Merely a Setback adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    27,058
    What are we meant to discuss

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Jayburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What are we meant to discuss
    Not sure. I just love hawaiian pizza and a great canadian has passed away.
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy -- Benjamin Franklin
    My post count is actually the next great american novel. each piece connects to the next and tells one of times greatest stories -- Me

  6. #6
    Pandaren Monk Cerilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,984
    Let's plant nettles and a shrubbery on his grave!

  7. #7
    Merely a Setback adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    27,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Not sure. I just love hawaiian pizza and a great canadian has passed away.
    Facebook is over there >

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Ealyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, Geneva
    Posts
    4,509
    I really want to make a joke abouit hawaiian pizza and hell.

    But it's still the death of a man. So RIP chef.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    4,330
    You could say he pasta way!

  10. #10
    Void Lord GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    40,618
    He did not know what horrors he would unleash

  11. #11
    I will have a Hawaiian pizza today in his honor.

  12. #12
    RIP culinary genus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekz View Post
    I'll trust blizzard over your assessment. They've been doing this for a long time. It may very well be that your class is nerfed in which case, your class will feel as if it doesn't work correctly.
    7.2 We fly!!!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    He died in the hague for crimes against humanity.
    I don't understand the rage over this. Everyone puts whatever the hell they want on their Pizza. Nobody is forcing you to put pineapple on yours.

    If you travel the world a lot you'll be surprised how wide the range of things called Pizza are, and the range of local tho unusual ingredients that go on the damned things.

    My favorite Pizzas nowadays are the Argentinian variety, which I find superior to both the American and the Italian versions (tho it's closer to the Italian one than the American one).
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  14. #14
    Well they say if you have nothing nice to say you shouldn't say anything.
    Therefore my statment will be:

  15. #15
    The Insane Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    15,148
    Now I'm not sure who to blame for the abomination, Greeks or Canadians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Oh yah, Puupi is an insufferable assclown. Don't shitpost and act shocked when you get called on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I prefer "enclosed creationist" but yeah, I'm a flat earther.

  16. #16
    Immortal UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Rest in peace you culinary genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    He died in the hague for crimes against humanity.
    This is what he has done to society! So divisive!!

    Personally, pineapple goes well with many things.
    Either way, RIP.
    Sometimes updated...

  17. #17
    Merely a Setback Hubcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Reno NV desert
    Posts
    25,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    LONDON, Ont. — Sam Panopoulos, the man credited with inventing the Hawaiian pizza, has died at the age of 83.

    According to an online obituary he’d been in hospital in London, Ont., when he passed away suddenly on Thursday.

    Panopoulos was born in Greece and emigrated to Canada in 1954 where he and his two brothers operated a number of restaurants.

    He said he made the first Hawaiian pizza in 1962 at the Satellite Restaurant in Chatham, Ont., after deciding that chunks of canned pineapple might make a tasty topping.

    His culinary instincts eventually bore fruit — his creation became a staple of pizza menus the world over, though it did have a healthy portion of critics.

    Iceland’s president, Guoni Johannesson, recently caused a minor online furor by pronouncing to some school children that pineapple did not belong on pizza, and suggested the combination should be banned.

    Among those coming to the defence of Hawaiian pizza was Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who pledged his support in a tweet.

    Panopoulos’ funeral is scheduled for Monday in London, Ont.

    It was obviously invented in Hawaii but I will permit Canadians to say it was invented in Canada even though pineapple can't grow in Canada.

    And it's called Hawaiian pizza not Canadian pizza.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    I really want to make a joke abouit hawaiian pizza and hell.

    But it's still the death of a man. So RIP chef.
    Rip indeed, but I'd rather put oranges on a pizza.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't understand the rage over this. Everyone puts whatever the hell they want on their Pizza. Nobody is forcing you to put pineapple on yours.

    If you travel the world a lot you'll be surprised how wide the range of things called Pizza are, and the range of local tho unusual ingredients that go on the damned things.

    My favorite Pizzas nowadays are the Argentinian variety, which I find superior to both the American and the Italian versions (tho it's closer to the Italian one than the American one).
    I think you've overthought a joke.

  20. #20
    I mean I am sure someone in East Asia is adding fried crickets to his pizza and people lose their minds over a bit of pineapple.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Now I'm not sure who to blame for the abomination, Greeks or Canadians.
    I think at this point in history, both are used to it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •