1. #1

    [Resto] Mushrooms Usage Poll - pre and post 5.2

    Reading all the recent news and comments about our mushrooms, makes me wonder how the spell is used now, pre 5.2, and perhaps if and how you guys would use it after 5.2 has been released. Am I the only one using them exclusivly on Feng, where I can pre plant them and predict where the raid will stack when they need the healing? And of course the occasional times when bored in town, plant+detonate on friends when waiting for ques etc...

    I truly feel that I cannot afford all the GCDs midfight to actually use it somewhat regularly and heal players with it. This issue, or rather clunky mechanic, seems to be the same in 5.2 aswell, therefor I feel like I wont be using them in 5.2 either. And i dont think the overhealing buff makes any diffrence at all. Since they need to be pre planted and built up with rejuv overhealing, casting them on the raid where they are a few mins into the fight, doesnt mean the raid is still standing on the same spot once they are buffed (therefor making them useless). I think there will be very few fights where we know where the raid will stack exactly, when they need the burst healing. Worst case is that the raid starts moving due to some unexpected pool of death&fire before all mushrooms are even planted, having us waste a few GCDs instead of healing the raid with the much needed burst healing.

    My issue with this spell was never how much they healed, it was the fact that they are way to clunky to use. Buffing the healing doesnt make them useful in my oppinion. If im going to spend so much time and GCDs into a heal, I want it to hit, but in 9 fights out of 10 i cannot predict where the raid will be stacking once they need the burst healing. But perhaps its just me who cant use them.

    My questions:
    -Are there any resto druids out there that is actually using this spell on a regular basis? (if so, please tell me where and how you do it)
    -Do you guys think you will be using them in 5.2?
    -Am I the only one who feels like they missed the point regarding what was broken with this spell?

    Please let me know how you use them today, and how you think you will use them in 5.2!
    Thank you in advance! / Naelwen

  2. #2
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,944
    Poll in the title, but there's no poll? ...hmmmm

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Poll in the title, but there's no poll? ...hmmmm
    Oh im sorry, I was using a word I thought meant something else. The title couldnt be edited im afraid. But atleast i learnt something useful today!

  4. #4
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,017
    I don't play a resto druid but as a raid leader of decently progressed 10 man (13/16HC) I can say that the 5.2 change will be pretty fantastic.

    GCD usage is a valid concern if you're using them a lot, but I don't think that's a smart way to use them. If I was resto I would think of them more of decent sized raid CD that you can strategically use during high burst moments. I have no idea about math or anything like that concerning how long it would take the mushrooms to reach ~400k burst healing, but it must be a decent chunk of time. I have no idea if it can crit but in a 10 man raid ~400k healing is a decent amount.

    Vizier: Burst them in the middle of a FnV
    Bladelord: P2 while people are running, can burst them either at the start to get people up quick or somewhere down the line
    Garalon: For the ranged clump after a crush
    Shek'zeer: Ranged or melee clump after a dissonance field blows up

    I don't think it's going to completely revolutionize your healing but it's far better than it's current incarnation. If anything I think the numbers might need to be adjusted a little bit.

  5. #5
    right now i never use them on progression. I do use them on farm bosses, because i have free time to goof around.

    in 5.2 they will be too strong to ignore, unfortunately, since the mechanic of placing them and not being able to move them is very annoying :P

  6. #6
    I disagree with you on those fights Tojara they will be of limited use better than they are now but those are the more spread out/movment heavy fights.

    I think we will get more use out of them on the first 5 in vaults most of Hof except windlord are movement heavy I don't see doing too much shrooming on movement heavy fights save for the initial pull and maybe if i can find some down time. As for Terrace I think it will be awesome for lei shi and maybe tsulong but the rest of it looks kinda meh. Although by then its gonna be all about the 5.2 content.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Aquarela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    wonderland
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I don't play a resto druid but as a raid leader of decently progressed 10 man (13/16HC) I can say that the 5.2 change will be pretty fantastic.

    GCD usage is a valid concern if you're using them a lot, but I don't think that's a smart way to use them. If I was resto I would think of them more of decent sized raid CD that you can strategically use during high burst moments. I have no idea about math or anything like that concerning how long it would take the mushrooms to reach ~400k burst healing, but it must be a decent chunk of time. I have no idea if it can crit but in a 10 man raid ~400k healing is a decent amount.

    Vizier: Burst them in the middle of a FnV
    Bladelord: P2 while people are running, can burst them either at the start to get people up quick or somewhere down the line
    Garalon: For the ranged clump after a crush
    Shek'zeer: Ranged or melee clump after a dissonance field blows up

    I don't think it's going to completely revolutionize your healing but it's far better than it's current incarnation. If anything I think the numbers might need to be adjusted a little bit.

    Vizier: maybe for the melee, yes.
    Bladelord: I don't think it can work, but maybe.
    Garalon: way too much movement, you can't predict when you will be after a crush, you could end up having the mushrooms inside the purple ring and not being able to use them.


    Haven't done Shek'zeer so I can't comment.

  8. #8
    Zookeeper Sunfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    Vizier: maybe for the melee, yes.
    Bladelord: I don't think it can work, but maybe.
    Garalon: way too much movement, you can't predict when you will be after a crush, you could end up having the mushrooms inside the purple ring and not being able to use them.


    Haven't done Shek'zeer so I can't comment.
    You know where people will be kiting on Garalon, though, so you could place them along the kite path.

    Sunfyre | Blog | Twitter

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    You know where people will be kiting on Garalon, though, so you could place them along the kite path.
    If your talking about a precast set of shrooms if not why waste all those gcds when a regrowth and maybe a rejuv would do as good or better?

    On garalon the melee usually do a little dance in a square along the middle its doable but not to be counted on and you would get multiple targets. The fight its going to make a huge difference on is lei shi. would be awesome on elegon, Garajal, and a few others in MV but they are kind of a joke now. Would be so awesome to have for lei shi. I already top heals on that fight but with a powerful heal like that every get away would make the right much easier. Maybe even on protects too the tanks get smashed hard then.

  10. #10
    I dont really use mushrooms much atm, but thats cause they are so weak... theres plenty of fights I could and will use them if we get this change, altho id still have a buff in other ways.

    If you think about it, theres chances to use mushrooms in all of MSV and most of ToES and HoF... just gonan take a bit of skill and thinking ahead, which is something druids need i think.. soemthing to give us a bit of a skill cap to set the bad and good druids apart

  11. #11
    Since planting them is free (unless that changes?), I'll surely be throwing them down at spots that are my best guess for raid placement and looking for appropriate ways to use them. My intention, psychologically anyway, is to view opportunities to use them as a bonus rather than thinking of them as a core ability that I need to maximize. Since I'm quite casual these days, I think that'll suit me just fine.

    On a side note, I think I can see some very occasional, rare instances where I'll be able to find uses for them in battlegrounds. I'm thinking of Temple and occasionally on FCs. It's not much, but I'll take a buff without looking a gift horse in the mouth.

  12. #12
    Zookeeper Sunfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastest View Post
    If your talking about a precast set of shrooms if not why waste all those gcds when a regrowth and maybe a rejuv would do as good or better?

    On garalon the melee usually do a little dance in a square along the middle its doable but not to be counted on and you would get multiple targets. The fight its going to make a huge difference on is lei shi. would be awesome on elegon, Garajal, and a few others in MV but they are kind of a joke now. Would be so awesome to have for lei shi. I already top heals on that fight but with a powerful heal like that every get away would make the right much easier. Maybe even on protects too the tanks get smashed hard then.
    You can shroom before a fight.

    Sunfyre | Blog | Twitter

  13. #13
    If you've been using them before on any encounters, you know that predicting 10-20 seconds in advance isn't that hard at all unless your raid is filled with randomly running around the room retards. I was usually putting new shrooms out as soon as I used Bloom, if my WG/SM were on CD. It's not as hard as people make it to be. The only semi-hard encounter to use them would be Vizier p4, because you don't know where shells will spawn. On the rest they are either currently useless (Tsulong, because it's stupidly undertuned in every possible way) or don't give huge benefit anyway (Wind Lord, because you can only shroom melee who get all passive healing anyway).

    I'm not entirely sure if those shrooms will be used in 10m at all unless whole raid or at least 4 people stack up at some point, which really negates a lot of strengths of new shrooms. In 25m you can pretty much put new ones as you bloom and then bloom in 10 seconds which is outright insane with intellect/mastery gemming/reforging.
    Tortie - Night Elf Druid - The Maelstrom EU

  14. #14
    I use them quite often. The way i see it, if raid damage is light to moderate and my efflorescence is ticking away with wild growth on CD, it is more beneficial to the raid for me to set 3 shrooms and bloom them. Before I go any further this is for 25 man format.

    My reasoning for this is in most of these situations a rejuv(s) will most probably tick harder on an individual however alot of that will turn into over healing (something we won't have to worry as much about soon) and won't help 'the raid' as much. If the rest of the raid is sustaining more damage then the few i am prioritising then other healers start to use more single target heals weaved in with there aoe, ultimately adding to more overall OH and wasting your fellow healers mana.

    Healing isn't just about toping meters. Some people may think this is stupid but a little bit of forward planning also comes into it when regarding your mana situation and your other healers. A perfect example of this is Amber Shaper - at the start we have all the little adds brought to melee and cleaved down. The pools damage our melee but not enough to warrant rejuvs so i just swiftmend (requiring 1 rejuv obviously), wildgrowth & blow shrooms off CD. Coming into the final phase we had a lot go wrong on one attempt. We had multiple explosions in rapid sucession. I had full mana so was able to rejuv everyone throughout the entirety of the final phase.

    WoL shows 72,061 HPS for that attempt.

  15. #15
    I use it on Feng, there's large periods of the fight where zero damage is going out. It's also helpful on heroic Vizier in phase 1 and during attenuation. I've saved a couple guildies during attenuation with mushrooms.

    They're pretty damn weak though, you definitely can't depend on them in their current state. The most I've ever seen them heal for is 250k, this was during force and verve in my 25m raid (covering 3 bubbles).

  16. #16
    First off I just want to say thank you all for sharing your thoughts!
    I've read it all several times and reached a few conclusions.

    - I'm currently only doing 10mans. They are most likely easier to use and more effective in 25man.

    - I will try to implement them in more fights and see how it works out, although I feel like the mechanic probably works less good in a spread out, casual 10man raid, than in a finely coordinated 25man. Wich is probably why I ended up only using them on Feng in first place.

    - Due to the 10 sec CD on bloom I thought the idea was to use it regularly, much like wild growth, not as a raid CD that some of you mentioned. What Blizzard intended, I dont know. Clearly my idea of using it regularly, like WG, was a bit unrealistic, it doesnt work for now. But still, even if I intend to use it as a raid CD, it would still require that the raid would be stacked on a specific location when the burst healing is needed. This makes me feel like the spell requires too much planning in my oppinion. Please tell me if it's just me being bad at the game.

    - I still feel like the spell is sort of broken. Too many GCDs to pull of a heal thats not very impressive at the moment. And I will most likely struggle with them in 5.2 aswell. If I could predict the movement of an entire raid encounter, I could probably place them where the raid would stand, when i needed to use them, as a raid CD. But I think most fights wont be that predictable. There might be another fight like Feng in 5.2 where I can pull this off, but it seems the spell does require a finely coordinated raid, and a predictable raid encounter. Therefor most blooms I pop in 5.2 will most likely not be buffed with the overhealing.

    - I currently have 3043 haste rating, but in most raids we lack the haste buff. This might be one reason that contributes to makes me feel that I need a prayer of healing of some sort when WG is on CD. But for now, when I need more healing, and SM and WG are on CD, I tend to rejuv blanket/toss a few glyphed RG instead of using mushrooms. This is a situation where I will try to use bloom more often, but when planting them on the fly when the raid needs healing, people will most likely be out of range once I can pop bloom!

    I hope I didnt QQ too much, the plan was just to share my thoughts/issues and read yours, since this is something I really find clunky for me to pull off. Please feel free to give my gameplay/thoughts constructive critisism, its a good way to improve my healing!

    Thank you all! / Naelwen

  17. #17
    would be nice if you could put the mushrooms on people's backs

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Torty View Post
    If you've been using them before on any encounters, you know that predicting 10-20 seconds in advance isn't that hard at all unless your raid is filled with randomly running around the room retards. I was usually putting new shrooms out as soon as I used Bloom, if my WG/SM were on CD. It's not as hard as people make it to be. The only semi-hard encounter to use them would be Vizier p4, because you don't know where shells will spawn. On the rest they are either currently useless (Tsulong, because it's stupidly undertuned in every possible way) or don't give huge benefit anyway (Wind Lord, because you can only shroom melee who get all passive healing anyway).

    I'm not entirely sure if those shrooms will be used in 10m at all unless whole raid or at least 4 people stack up at some point, which really negates a lot of strengths of new shrooms. In 25m you can pretty much put new ones as you bloom and then bloom in 10 seconds which is outright insane with intellect/mastery gemming/reforging.
    But you're not gonna be using them every 10-20 sec in 5.2. That would defeat the point of the change...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    I don't really get how Bloodlust fits Shamans...

    "I need to calm the elements, and through our sacred bond we will - wait, is that a fucking boss? I'M SO FUCKING ANGRY! I'M GOING TO KILL HIM! NO, WAIT! I'M GOING TO RAPE HIM THEN KILL HIM! WITH SPOONS! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •