Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

So ehm...how is this possible

Ok I am going to tell you something weird, and this is not made up, or trolling:

I remember a vacation some months ago, I did nothing but NOT exercise and eat more than normally.

I lost some weight. Now I didn't weigh myself but it was visible in the mirror that I lost a bit, not noticable to other people though because of clothes and all.

I am a 19 year old male, 5,9 and 242 pounds or 110kg (may be a bit less now)

Now, after the vacation, I was back to being overweight. (like I always was)

Now, when we got the holidays off last month for 2 weeks, once again I started to eat a lot, once again, I lost some weight, this time however I think I retained the weight loss.

Now of course I realize this is not the way to lose weight, but what is going on here, when I eat normally (which is still a tad bit too much) I stay normal, I don't lose nor gain weight. (still overweight though)

But when I eat more, I lose some weight.

I started last week anyway and going strong by reducing calorie intake and going jogging once in a while. Really it's going well except yesterday I had a coughing fit and could breath very hard after jogging. (But I think this is exercise induced asthma)

According to an online calculator, to maintain my current weight (which is wrong to do) I am eating 2700 kcal a day. Over eating, but luckily not to extreme amounts.

My question: How did I lose weight every time

Also in before: you have a worm. :P
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-01-13 at 08:47 AM.

You've got a fast metabolism, it's usually a good thing but hard if you're actually trying to put on weight. I used to be the same around your age, but now it's caught upto me and I've started to gain weight normally.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    You've got a fast metabolism, it's usually a good thing but hard if you're actually trying to put on weight. I used to be the same around your age, but now it's caught upto me and I've started to gain weight normally.
    How? I have been overeating for the last 10 years and been fat all those years.

Do I have to eat even more to benefit from this 'maybe' fast metabolism? o_0

10+ Year Old Account
    Some peoples metabolism only works properly if they eat regularly throughout the day (6+ times per day with 3 main course meals), it's important that you body gets a few minor snacks during the day between meals, just make sure it's not McD's or snickers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Some peoples metabolism only works properly if they eat regularly throughout the day (6+ times per day with 3 main course meals), it's important that you body gets a few minor snacks during the day between meals, just make sure it's not McD's or snickers
    I don't think.. this works?... Isn't this a myth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    It's not, it's especially important if your training to avoid your muscles being used as fuel for your body, but that usually also requires a low % of body fat.., but overall it's quite well known.

It might well be what's happening in your case during holidays if you become more active with walks (and running as you stated), your body suddenly needs extra fuel (food intake) where your metabolism increases, leading to loss of weight.
    Last edited by Banzhe; 2013-01-13 at 08:48 AM.

Deleted
    Give me your innards.
    Give em to me NOW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Give me your innards.
    Give em to me NOW.
    Trade ya, do you have nice innards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Sorry what? that is not a fast metabolism. 110kg at 5"9 is over weight (unless you are all muscle) . I have a fast Metabolism, i am 6"1 and weigh 72kg (158 pounds) and have since i was 16 years old and i am now 23 and i do fuck all exercise. Jogging will work well. The coughing and not been able to breath would be just from being unfit the more you do it the less it will happen. Also you might lose some weight from eating a bit but you will lose more if you eat healthy, eg salad and fruit. It all comes down to what you eat not how much of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Sorry what? that is not a fast metabolism. 110kg at 5"9 is over weight (unless you are all muscle) . I have a fast Metabolism, i am 6"1 and weigh 72kg (158 pounds) and have since i was 16 years old and i am now 23 and i do fuck all exercise. Jogging will work well the coughing and not been able to breath would be just from being unfit the more you do it the less it will happen. Also you might lose some weight from eating a bit but you will lose more if you eat healthy, eg salad and fruit. It all comes down to what you eat not how much of it.
    I have been lifting for more than 3 years now. :P Except last month.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been lifting for more than 3 years now. :P Except last month.
    Well then everything i said was irrelevant then lol.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Well then everything i said was irrelevant then lol.
    Yes but the lifting is not regularly. About twice a week.

I mean I have muscle mass and am pretty strong but ....I am mostly fat.

It's not a myth at all. Ask any dietician. One of the first things they will tell you is to eat more often with smaller portions and more sensibly. In order for your body to actually metabolize food, it has to have it. And the more frequently it gets it, the more the efficient it gets. Ask most overweight people how many meals a day they have, and many will say 2 and that they skip breakfast.

Do you skip breakfast? When do you eat lunch, if ever? What do you eat? You can prove this to yourself very easily.

If you skip breakfast, don't for a couple of days. Eat something more than just cereal or a bagel. Take the time to make yourself some scrambled eggs with toast. I guarantee you that unless you had breakfast 2 hours before lunch, you will be STARVING by the time lunch rolls around. That's your metabolism starting to kick into high gear.

The thing you need to keep in mind is to eat smaller portions, just more often. Say you eat 2 (healthy) meals a day. Try to spread that same amount of food over 5 or 6 sessions. Your metabolism will keep climbing, your body will burn more calories during the day WITHOUT working out, and you will start to lose weight. You will also start to notice that your energy levels will climb and you will be satisfied with less each meal instead of eating until you're "full", which is the over-eaters main problem.

Deleted
    are you bingeing on fatty foods ? you might be replacing musculature for fat.

Yes but the lifting is not regularly. About twice a week.

I mean I have muscle mass and am pretty strong but ....I am mostly fat.
    Lifting isn't what most would consider "excercise". It does help to improve your body since larger muscles will burn more calories doing the same motions as smaller muscles, but it's no substitute for cardio.

Deleted
    This is my first repply to a thread ever, but as a nutrtition and health student i witness these bullshit statements every single day. Because everyone has to eat, everyone feels entitled to make claims (that are often completely wrong) and present them as science and facts.

You dont have a fast metabolism, quite obviously as you're very overweight. Many people who look skinny believe that they have a fast metabolism, but often have extreme amounts of fat between their organs (not visible), which is very bad for your health..

Regarding your food intake - underreporting total food intake is a very known and common thing with overweight people, so unless you write down everything you eat over the course of 2-4 weeks, there's no way of telling if your calorie intake has been higher or lower than normal.

The first weight you lose is often fluids, which is very visible to everyone, including you. The problem is that it's easily put back on again.

At the end of the day, if you want a straight answer, go see your doctor or a dietician - please dont consult idiots on the internet.

You got it right with the jogging and the exercise, but you can't build a great body on crappy food, remember that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    It's not a myth at all. Ask any dietician. One of the first things they will tell you is to eat more often with smaller portions and more sensibly. In order for your body to actually metabolize food, it has to have it. And the more frequently it gets it, the more the efficient it gets. Ask most overweight people how many meals a day they have, and many will say 2 and that they skip breakfast.

Do you skip breakfast? When do you eat lunch, if ever? What do you eat? You can prove this to yourself very easily.

If you skip breakfast, don't for a couple of days. Eat something more than just cereal or a bagel. Take the time to make yourself some scrambled eggs with toast. I guarantee you that unless you had breakfast 2 hours before lunch, you will be STARVING by the time lunch rolls around. That's your metabolism starting to kick into high gear.

The thing you need to keep in mind is to eat smaller portions, just more often. Say you eat 2 (healthy) meals a day. Try to spread that same amount of food over 5 or 6 sessions. Your metabolism will keep climbing, your body will burn more calories during the day WITHOUT working out, and you will start to lose weight. You will also start to notice that your energy levels will climb and you will be satisfied with less each meal instead of eating until you're "full", which is the over-eaters main problem.
    I never ever skip breakfast and most of the time I have eggs, and 3 at that or more even.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post

What you say isnt completely wrong, but the context is pretty off. There is claims that eating regulary throughout the day keeps your metabolism high. There is also claims that it doesnt matter as much.

What plays the biggest role is that if you skip main meals (such as breakfast) your bloodsugar will be low and you are more likely to snack on unhealthy foods. This is what cause the overweight.

Weight loss is tied to your total calorie intake over the day, so you cant just mindlessly eating just because its now 6 meals instead of 2 or 3.

But please stop with the "body is eating your muscles" - it's part of _extreme_ case scenarios. Fat can't be turned it to muscle, its too different type of body tissue.

Deleted
    Trade ya, do you have nice innards?
    Some live cirrhosis here and a bit of hypothyroidism there, but otherwise yeah pretty nice.

Deleted
    Oh and what I eat most is:

Eggs
    Meat
    Bread
    Sometimes fruit
    Less than sometimes chips/crisps
    Rice
    Vegetables now and then