Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    This thread is boiling over with douchebaggery. Cool it with the personal cuts and answer the OP in a respectable manner or just don't respond at all.

Deleted
    The OP got multiple reasonble answers. It's just hard to sort broscience from actual science, hence the "personal" biggotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbz View Post
    The OP got multiple reasonble answers. It's just hard to sort broscience from actual science, hence the "personal" biggotry.
    Agreed, when one is too lazy to bother doing research for others I find it much easier to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Some peoples metabolism only works properly if they eat regularly throughout the day (6+ times per day with 3 main course meals), it's important that you body gets a few minor snacks during the day between meals, just make sure it's not McD's or snickers
    Snickers is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    Lifting isn't what most would consider "excercise". It does help to improve your body since larger muscles will burn more calories doing the same motions as smaller muscles, but it's no substitute for cardio.
    Wut...? Lifting is an excellent alternative for weight loss in comparison to cardio, as you can squeeze more productivity in a shorter period of time than you can on a bike or on a run. That's not to say you should do one over the other, though, as you should really be doing both to optimize your gains:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042001772.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/livest..._b_894936.html
    and plenty more quickly googled.

OT: Weight loss on holidays can be from any number of factors; increased activity, reduced stress, more reliable eating schedule reducing your body's desire to hoard fat, water loss, etc... You should just be content that you lose weight rather than gaining it, and try to increase your workload when you return home to help maintain it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Agreed, when one is too lazy to bother doing research for others I find it much easier to resort to ad hominem attacks.
    Wait, what attack, did you insult me? ..... :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I've changed to eating 6-7 times per day, usually 1-2 actual meals and the rest being small snacks. It keeps your metabolism going throughout the day while you're doing stuff, and you don't ever feel full or significantly hungry.

People say it all the time, but breakfast really is the most important meal. I need to take that advice as I rarely ever eat breakfast, usually a small lunch and a regular dinner. Something else I've personally been doing is just watching calorie count. I sort of learned that while it matters to an extent what you are eating(no overly fatty foods, high sodium foods, etc.) it really comes down a lot to how many calories you're intaking.

Have you considered maybe hyperthyroidism? My sister had it and she could eat a horse and just not show it. Essentially just your thyroid working overtime when it doesn't need to be. Might be worth getting some blood tests if you're concerned about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    Personally, I've changed to eating 6-7 times per day, usually 1-2 actual meals and the rest being small snacks. It keeps your metabolism going throughout the day while you're doing stuff, and you don't ever feel full or significantly hungry.

People say it all the time, but breakfast really is the most important meal. I need to take that advice as I rarely ever eat breakfast, usually a small lunch and a regular dinner. Something else I've personally been doing is just watching calorie count. I sort of learned that while it matters to an extent what you are eating(no overly fatty foods, high sodium foods, etc.) it really comes down a lot to how many calories you're intaking.

Have you considered maybe hyperthyroidism? My sister had it and she could eat a horse and just not show it. Essentially just your thyroid working overtime when it doesn't need to be. Might be worth getting some blood tests if you're concerned about it.
    Hmm, I just might do that, bit busy this week though.

Deleted
    i cant gain weight normally, i eat a lot through out the day, but still quite skinny, 20 years old now and its still the same. im hungry a lot, i eat a lot of food, more than more people my size and even bigger. i dont excerise much either, aside from walking to work thats about it. i plan to start excerising a bit more later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i cant gain weight normally, i eat a lot through out the day, but still quite skinny, 20 years old now and its still the same. im hungry a lot, i eat a lot of food, more than more people my size and even bigger. i dont excerise much either, aside from walking to work thats about it. i plan to start excerising a bit more later in the year.
    How much exactly do you eat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post

It does NOT matter how often you eat, and it wont increase your metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Everyone can gain weight, if you cant its because you're not eating enough.

You THINK you eat alot / more than others but in reality you're only at balance calories tops.
    Its 99% the issues of people not gaining weight, overestimating what you're eating.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Ok I am going to tell you something weird, and this is not made up, or trolling:

I remember a vacation some months ago, I did nothing but NOT exercise and eat more than normally.

I lost some weight. Now I didn't weigh myself but it was visible in the mirror that I lost a bit, not noticable to other people though because of clothes and all.

I am a 19 year old male, 5,9 and 242 pounds or 110kg (may be a bit less now)

Now, after the vacation, I was back to being overweight. (like I always was)

Now, when we got the holidays off last month for 2 weeks, once again I started to eat a lot, once again, I lost some weight, this time however I think I retained the weight loss.

Now of course I realize this is not the way to lose weight, but what is going on here, when I eat normally (which is still a tad bit too much) I stay normal, I don't lose nor gain weight. (still overweight though)

But when I eat more, I lose some weight.

I started last week anyway and going strong by reducing calorie intake and going jogging once in a while. Really it's going well except yesterday I had a coughing fit and could breath very hard after jogging. (But I think this is exercise induced asthma)

According to an online calculator, to maintain my current weight (which is wrong to do) I am eating 2700 kcal a day. Over eating, but luckily not to extreme amounts.

My question: How did I lose weight every time

Also in before: you have a worm. :P

The running causing that is not "exercise induced asthma", it's that you're out of shape and have poor lungs and poor circulation. Keep running, it'll get better.

What were the types of food you were eating. What were the activities you were doing?
    Were you under stress when not on vacation? Stress makes your body do a lot of different things, including retain water/fat.
    Getting stress off your shoulders helps you lose weight, helps you be happy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    The running causing that is not "exercise induced asthma", it's that you're out of shape and have poor lungs and poor circulation. Keep running, it'll get better.

What were the types of food you were eating. What were the activities you were doing?
    Were you under stress when not on vacation? Stress makes your body do a lot of different things, including retain water/fat.
    Getting stress off your shoulders helps you lose weight, helps you be happy, etc.
    It very well could be exercise induced asthma. Who the fuck are you to say otherwise? Did you experience it?

It very well could be exercise induced asthma. Who the fuck are you to say otherwise? Did you experience it?
    Have you ever seen someone who never works out, never runs, all of a sudden start exercising? I have, I've experienced it. You start coughing and get short of breath. It happens the first time you work out, then the second time it is there but lessened. You have to push through it.

So basically, chill your shit.

Have you ever seen someone who never works out, never runs, all of a sudden start exercising? I have, I've experienced it. You start coughing and get short of breath. It happens the first time you work out, then the second time it is there but lessened. You have to push through it.

So basically, chill your shit.
    Yeah, and its called exercised induced asthma. Asthma is defined as a narrowing of the airways to the lungs. EIA happens because your body doesnt know how to handle the colder/dryer air that you breathe in when running (also why you experience it even more in very cold and dry environments) and contracts the airways. Once your body learns to breathe better and recognizes that the cold/dry air is not a threat, the disorder tends to decrease. That isn't to say everyone who experiences EIA needs treatment. But to say it isn't EIA is just ignorant. Almost everyone experiences EIA at some point in their life.

Yeah, and its called exercised induced asthma. Asthma is defined as a narrowing of the airways to the lungs. EIA happens because your body doesnt know how to handle the colder/dryer air that you breathe in when running (also why you experience it even more in very cold and dry environments) and contracts the airways. Once your body learns to breathe better and recognizes that the cold/dry air is not a threat, the disorder tends to decrease. That isn't to say everyone who experiences EIA needs treatment. But to say it isn't EIA is just ignorant. Almost everyone experiences EIA at some point in their life.
    Exercise Induced Asthma is different than just being out of shape. Exercise Induced Asthma is a condition that you get any time you would work out, IF you have it. Not the first few times you work out because your body isn't used to shipping the red blood cells and oxygen at a faster rate.

Exercise Induced Asthma is different than just being out of shape. Exercise Induced Asthma is a condition that you get any time you would work out, IF you have it. Not the first few times you work out because your body isn't used to shipping the red blood cells and oxygen at a faster rate.
    Being out of shape does not cause wheezing and an inability to breathe properly for a pro longed period of time. It causes you to get winded easily and be fatigued quickly. It just feels completely different and the words he used sounded a lot more like asthma. And no, people with exercise induced asthma do not get it every single time they exercise. I, for instance, only get it in very cold environments and/or when I havent been exercising for a few months. I can still trigger it if I exercise insanely hard for a significantly long period of time. It feels like someone scraped my throat with a piece of metal.

Hey Coolkingler, I am a male that is 183cm and weigh 80KG. I work behind a desk all day and sit in front of my PC far too much in the evenings as well. I tend to get fat really easily so similar to you I guess. I believe that there are differences between people's metabolic rates but not so much that you can use it as an excuse. Anyways, let me show you what I eat:

I never eat breakfast except 3 days a week a glass of milk, 2 sandwiches (1 piece of bread each, no butter) for lunch including "light" topping + a slice of ryebread, For dinner I eat soup and 3-4 days a week a saladmeal (with some pasta). The salad is max 550/600 calories. Obviously I also cheat a little like take a cookie here and there but I have room for it since my caloric intake is low. I only drink tea or water during the day. I would say I roughly eat 1750/1800 calories on a normal day.

I train 3/4 days a week cardio for roughly 1.5 to 2 hours. Usually biking and running. On 2 of those days I usually will try to push it more and will make sure I eat a pasta meal before lunch (not too crazy). The other day(s) I will do it on my regular diet. Because of the pasta I usually eat around 2100/2200 calories on those days. Roughly what I exercise off in a session.

Saturdays is my day off usually and I "pig out" so to say. Sundays can be a bit iffy (not always) as well but usually it is one of the not serious training days. So I can lose a bit more. Sunday morning training sessions are the best imo .

This is what I need to do to keep my weight, not even lose it and I take this relgiously. I know I can't prove it over the internet but I am the most anal person when it comes to my food. If I have a party friday with a few beers etc. and saturday we have a barbecue, I bring a salad. Anyways, I hope it helps you to see what somebody else in a similar position eats. I get a lot of "you dont eat breakfast?" comments but it works for me. Eating in the morning makes my stomach turn to be honest. I also do try to watch that I eat varied and get at least a good amount of the important foodgroups in me. As you can see, I lack a bit in fruit. I actually add some peach/apple/pear... slices or such to my salad. Furthermore I got my carbs, protein from chicken or tuna in the salad. Fats I something I miss as well a bit, that is why the milk and you can add some nuts to the salad as well.

It is really boring and I always look forward to saturdays. I also sometimes feel hungry, I can't deny that but I have a hard time to distinguish between true hunger and "lekkere" honger I think.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2013-01-31 at 04:42 PM.