Deleted

Xbox 360- grainy picture quality

Hi! I've recently started playing some Xbox 360 with a few friends but I'm having issues with the picture quality, it's grainy and oily.
    It's like you put on negative anti aliasing and everything looks kinds of smeared out.
    I only own two games for the box, BF3 and Ghost recon future soldier, both of them are unplayable in their current state.

I'm using an expensive HDMI cable and have set the Xbox to 1080p. And I'm using my computer screen for my Xbox, it's not the best but it sure as hell should be able to give me a lot better visual quality.

My screen: Benq E2200HD <--Specs in the link

When I look at my friends Xbox it's crisp as fuck and not at all like what I'm seeing on mine. So there is a real difference not just me being spoiled by computer graphics. I'm clueless to what may be causing this. Please help xD
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-13 at 08:57 AM.

Playing on a computer screen is actually the best thing you can do, try turning on display discovery, restarting the xbox, going back to the System Settings and put the screen resolution on whatever that monitor is.

By playing on a computer screen you completely rid yourself of any input lag which otherwise would be there on big screen HDTVs. You'll notice most competitive xbox tournaments are all played on monitors supplied by sponsors because they are the best option.

Dumbest Thread 2012

10+ Year Old Account
    well for starters, your expensive HDMI cable is useless, it gives you no benefit over the cheapest one you can find

check the settings, and make sure that it is set on HDMI, and progressive scan is turned on

Deleted
    Display discovery was already turned on. It's set to 1080p which would match my 1920x1080 monitor.
    Progressive scan is the same as overscan is presume? It's a monitor setting.

I tried doing both but it's still awful.

Edit: Also this problem is only in-game. Menus and movies are displayed properly at the correct resolution.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:44 AM ----------

Put on 480p and fullscreen, that is exactly how it looks for me.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:03 AM ----------

Actually it might just be me. I've looked through most youtube videos, even those which are sponsored, and they all look like shit.
    None of my friends has a 1080p monitor and their game looks "amazing". Perhaps Xbox games doesn't scale that well at higher resolutions?
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-13 at 09:39 AM.

While it'd be an overstatement to call the Xbox 360 "visually stunning" or graphically capable, it should look much better than 480p, so good news! It can look better. Even upscaled to 1080p on a 40"+ TV, it should look fairly, as you say, crisp.
    Have you tried running 720p to see if it runs any better/smoother?
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    While it'd be an overstatement to call the Xbox 360 "visually stunning" or graphically capable, it should look much better than 480p, so good news! It can look better. Even upscaled to 1080p on a 40"+ TV, it should look fairly, as you say, crisp.
    Have you tried running 720p to see if it runs any better/smoother?
    Yes, I've tried 720p and 1080p and two custom resolutions, 1240x720 and 1680x1050(Highest). Xbox doesn't seem to fully support 1920x1080.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 02:13 PM ----------

Friend just came over to take a look. He claim mine looks just as good as his. It's solved then, Xbox graphics are just utter shit.

Xbox360 does not output 1080p from games, only 720p. You'll get true 1080p only from watching videos.

Problem is X360's upscaling from 720p games to 1080p monitor. You could try turning console to 720p instead and see if the monitor's scaler is better.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Xbox360 does not output 1080p from games, only 720p. You'll get true 1080p only from watching videos.

Problem is X360's upscaling from 720p games to 1080p monitor. You could try turning console to 720p instead and see if the monitor's scaler is better.
    You are incorrect as usual. The Xbox 360 can display 1080p and does look halo 4. Not every game outputs 1080p, note the games have a label on the back of each case. Halo 4 produces to 1080p live and in game, while Halo 3 produces 720p maximum. So depending on the game you are playing stretching a 720p image would make it a bit grainy but unplayable??? I mean to be unplayable would have to be a 240/360/480 being blown up to 1080p. I'd say the poster is likely near red rings or has seen them before a few times, no possible way any game on xbox even stretched to 1080p would be unplayable when the big COD streams have Xbox 2560x1440p atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolpimps View Post
    The Xbox 360 can display 1080p and does look halo 4.
    Not on games, and I couldn't find even one gameplay video of actual 1080p quality, everything capped at 720p.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Xbox360 definitely upscales games. From my small selection of games, they all say 720p/1080i/1080p. I believe i've heard or read that some games are upscaled from 480p but I think the majority are upscaled from 720p (to 1080i or 1080p).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolpimps View Post
    You are incorrect as usual. The Xbox 360 can display 1080p and does look halo 4. Not every game outputs 1080p, note the games have a label on the back of each case. Halo 4 produces to 1080p live and in game, while Halo 3 produces 720p maximum. So depending on the game you are playing stretching a 720p image would make it a bit grainy but unplayable??? I mean to be unplayable would have to be a 240/360/480 being blown up to 1080p. I'd say the poster is likely near red rings or has seen them before a few times, no possible way any game on xbox even stretched to 1080p would be unplayable when the big COD streams have Xbox 2560x1440p atm.
    Oh man
    Thanks
    I needed a good laugh
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-01-14 at 05:44 AM.

I've tried playing my xbox on my computer monitor and the picture wasn't that great. Switched it to my 43 inch Samsung Plasma HDTV and it was a vast improvement. Just started playing Halo 4 and during the opening scene that lady almost looked lifelike. My TV is 720p 600hz and I have my Xbox set to 1080p with the HDMI hookup.

15+ Year Old Account
    Taken from the website you pointed us to for your monitor :

Resolution support was exceptionally good on the E2200HD. The only oddity is that one resolution we would expect to work perfectly -- 720P -- didn't even show up on our test system using a DVI input. Even after adding that resolution, however, there were still problems with 720P DVI support, and those problems extended to the HDMI and VGA inputs as well. For whatever reason, the aspect ratio control is wrong regardless of what you set it to when using 720P DVI. It only fills the center portion of the display, and if you select "Full" it stretches the output horizontally but not vertically. 720P is better on HDMI and VGA, but it's squished horizontally to fill a 16:10 AR, leaving black borders on the left and right. It's unfortunate, since 720P support can be important for certain devices (i.e. Xbox 360, PS3). The remaining resolutions all work properly; the only two issues we noticed are that 1280x768 and 1360x768 both had the wrong aspect ratio as well; both stretched to fill the same area as a 16:10 resolution instead of 5:3 and 16:9 respectively.

It would appear to me that it's probably a fault of your monitor, which is a problem I've seen in the opposite spectrum, HDTVs being used as monitors.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...