PSU finally died.

As my luck would have it my PSU died less than 2 weeks after I made a post asking how much longer it would last. Luckily only my Motherboard, Processor, Ram and backup hdd took the hit. Was able to check everything else out on another computer. So guess I'll pay off my credit card with my tax return. So here is my new build. Let me know what you all think.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xmWL

Pretty much the only new parts are the PSU, MB, PCU and cooler. Might replace the case for my birthday in May.

Deleted
    Everything else seems cool but this: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Sure you may have your reasons to pick it, but professional costs only like 10-30€ more so I would pick that. And you can upgrade to even more RAM if your not only playing games.

Do you really need thunderbolt on your motherboard? You pretty much pay $40 for a feature you most likely won't use.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Don't get the CX power supply, their build quality is pretty dire. something like a Seasonic M12ii 520 would be a much better choice, and cost about the same.

CPU and MoBo are good choices although I'd look at the non-thunderbolt version, CPU cooler is ok too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dr-pills View Post
    Everything else seems cool but this: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Sure you may have your reasons to pick it, but professional costs only like 10-30€ more so I would pick that. And you can upgrade to even more RAM if your not only playing games.
    The difference between Home Premium and Professional is not massive, and 16GB is plenty of memory. If there is anything memory wise that needs doing it is to change the memory to faster speeds, not more...

Get a faster HDD, 7200 is slow.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2013-01-13 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you let me get this right....you knew your psu was going to die and you let it fry most of you shit because you were too lazy to go buy a other psu so now you need to build a other computer lol ? and yea the guy above me is right get a seasonic or a corsair psu other than that all the psu are crap

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    The difference between Home Premium and Professional is not massive, and 16GB is plenty of memory. If there is anything memory wise that needs doing it is to change the memory to faster speeds, not more...
    From my understanding, he already has the components other than the mobo, cpu, ram, psu and cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    you let me get this right....you knew your psu was going to die and you let it fry most of you shit because you were too lazy to go buy a other psu
    I wasn't sure when it was going to go and I wasn't lazy to go buy a new one. I just didn't have a whole lot of money and really didn't want to use my credit card if I didn't need to. Was hoping it would last till I got my tax return but guess I wasn't that lucky.

Get a faster HDD, 7200 is slow.
    Memory faster than 1600MHz give close to no performance increase for Sandy/Ivy bridge systems.
    He has a SSD why would he need to get a faster HDD?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Memory faster than 1600MHz give close to no performance increase for Sandy/Ivy bridge systems.
    He has a SSD why would he need to get a faster HDD?
    I meant cas latency, his current is 10-10-10-27.

That is still only a very minor upgrade and waste of money.

Only relevant for doing lots of stuff like rendering or running large amounts of calculations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Only relevant for doing lots of stuff like rendering or running large amounts of calculations.
    Yes, which is why I didn't say 'he should do this' I was replying to someone who said that he should get more memory, when it would be better to get faster instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also go with a xfx power supply they are made by seasonic too , and are usualy cheaper.

I was able to cancel the Motherboard order but not the PSU. Currently looking at a http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-CrossF...2&keywords=z77

Would this be better? Did some more looking into Thunderbolt and figured I didn't really need it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    I was able to cancel the Motherboard order but not the PSU. Currently looking at a http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-CrossF...2&keywords=z77

Would this be better? Did some more looking into Thunderbolt and figured I didn't really need it just yet.
    If you don't need the two extra SATA 3 ports, you can get the Extreme4 instead. That is the go-to solution to LGA 1155 motherboards right now.