Page 1 of 8
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Sylvanas Windrunner

    Her Story has always been a pleasure reading about . She did not give up and tried her hardest to stop the LK . She has a great family Alleria, Vereesa, Lirath ETC . Did she forget her family when and her people she tried to protect?

  2. #2
    If you did that necklace quest in bc where you give her back her necklace she got from one of her sisters she breaks down and starts singing.

  3. #3
    She has probably the most stirring backstory of all the faction leaders; can't wait to see what they do with her regarding the whole upcoming Garrosh fiasco.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,408
    Who is this silvanaz ? Shouldnt we be talking about wow ?

    Dont spam guys.

    Seriously:

    Horrible story , char and worst leader ever.

  5. #5
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,523
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    She has probably the most stirring backstory of all the faction leaders; can't wait to see what they do with her regarding the whole upcoming Garrosh fiasco.
    She's apparently the one who ousts Garrosh and sets one of the major sparks for the Siege.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Who is this silvanaz ? Shouldnt we be talking about wow ?

    Dont spam guys.

    Seriously:

    Horrible story , char and worst leader ever.
    Okay. Explain how please. Because although some agree with you, they rarely explain their reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    She's apparently the one who ousts Garrosh and sets one of the major sparks for the Siege.
    Sylvanas so far had 0 involvement into this conflict since MoP, and she's supposed the one that sparks the siege and takes the crown afterwards?

    Seems similiar to a Deus Ex.

    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Okay. Explain how please. Because although some agree with you, they rarely explain their reasoning.
    She's a military leader (and even a bad one since WoW) not a political Leader.

    She uses her people as Shield against the fate that happens to her when she dies and the entire culture of the Forsaken is centered around her.

    Only Dictators try to put them within the center of their people's culture.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2013-01-13 at 04:25 PM.
    Too often, we are mistaken for druidic types. perhaps that's true for some shaman, but do not let yourself be plagued by the ignorant belief that we are always peaceful.
    Nothing about what I do is harmonious. I command the elements to my will. There is nothing offered in return. I would have it no other way.


    Never assume an ogre's stupid, that's when they'll get you.

  7. #7
    Sylvanas is a truly fascinating character, probably one of Blizzard's biggest characters that represents the least re-use of well-worn tropes, even if you consider her a Kerrigan expy (Illidan would be another, IMO). The thing that makes her fascinating, at least to me, is because she presents a real challenge in determining how to judge her.

    In life, she was vain and arrogant, but also fiercely loyal and courageous and seemed passionate both about her country, her people, and her family (after all, it's only because of this reason that, as depicted in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, she unwittingly puts the coup de grace on many of her own people after Arthas killed Anasterian -- she simply couldn't control her grief and agony anymore and her banshee scream wrecked a lot of people.

    In undeath, she has been driven almost entirely by revenge and self-loathing (a lot like what Lillian Voss was, just with different motives), and has never apparently changed from her default reaction that it's a curse, and a misery, and an altogether horrible fate. But, she's also grown steadily more alien, more indifferent to mortal life, and her own experience convincing her of her damnation, she seems to have given up on values that one typically applies to avoid that fate -- like caring about life, like compassion, etc. So how much of what she is has been driven by what was done to her, and how much of it is because it's who she is?

    When I wonder the answer to that, I keep thinking about the Silverpine questing -- where we see Sylvanas mercilessly, calculatingly wipe out as many worgen as will keep coming and raising those that aren't immune into undeath (Ambermill is particularly horrifying -- run through that questline and imagine the perspective of the people hiding under that shield -- nothing could be a more total reversal of what Arthas did to Quel'thalas). But... she also spares Lorna. She keeps her word to spare Crowley's daughter, even though (if she's every bit the monster now she projects) there was no reason to. Hell, she could have killed Darius and Bloodfang as soon as she'd lured them out, then gone ahead and turned Lorna to serve her anyway. But she spared her, spared them all. A sense of honor in her own word? Hard to believe unless she just respects Darius more than she ever did Garithos (which is plausible). I kind of wonder if she projected her own feelings about her own family on them, though.

    There's something still in there other than the monster -- or at least, there's a lot more reason to think there is in her than there ever was in Arthas while he was Lich King, and that never stopped anyone from hoping for his redemption.

  8. #8
    She didn't forget during BC the thought of her people and sorrow for what the scourge did to the blood elves turned her into an emotional wreck and offered support out of sympathy. But since then her mental condition has deteriorated and she no longer cares about her former life and probably her sisters. Demonstrated in Lor'thermar's short story dramatically by blackmailing blood elven leadership with the condition of their national security. She only cares about preventing the horrible fate that awaits her, her only buffer against it is the forsaken who have suffered the very same deterioration of the mind as their leader and are just out for blood and conquest. Her only interest is in securing Lordearon and expanding forsaken power she'll trick, cheat and kill to anyone to see that done even allies of the Horde.

    Garrosh's bloodlust into full scale war with the alliance is costing The Horde resources and probably forsaken soldiers, soldiers she sees as valuable to protecting her. It'll be interesting to see what hand she plays and if Vol'jin/Thrall will approve morally of her schemes but go with it any way for the good of the Horde. People who are crying her to be killed because she's merciless and cruel simply baffle me, she's one of the few interesting characters the game has left.

  9. #9
    I think she probably still cares deeply about her sisters, although maybe not Vereesa who undoubtedly rejects her completely. But I wouldn't be surprised if she has a lot of hopes pinned to the idea that Alleria would forgive, or at least understand her, might actually be grateful that she died doing her best to fill Alleria's shoes.

  10. #10
    New Kid Zaelsino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    13,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I think she probably still cares deeply about her sisters, although maybe not Vereesa who undoubtedly rejects her completely. But I wouldn't be surprised if she has a lot of hopes pinned to the idea that Alleria would forgive, or at least understand her, might actually be grateful that she died doing her best to fill Alleria's shoes.
    She's under the impression that Alleria's dead IIRC. One of her last (living) thoughts in Rise of the Lich King was that they'd be reunited in the afterlife soon.

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,224
    I think the best way to sum her up story wise is controversial.

    Personally I feel that she had a good story, now it's devolved into a mess of highly questionable acts that continue to undermine the Horde's aims as a faction while having those acts ignored and brushed under the rug by both factions. Essentially she's almost living in a bubble. She's done things that should be setting off every alarm going, but it hasn't - at all. So I'll be honest and say that currently I rather dislike her as a character.

    I think this comics kinda sums it up - http://i.imgur.com/ieBT8.jpg

    However the stuff with her family definitely would be interesting to say the least. Kinda looking forward to seeing the look on Alleria's face .
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-01-13 at 05:16 PM.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,852
    Once she was interesting, now she's one of the most one-dimensional characters I have ever encountered in any video game.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 05:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    She's under the impression that Alleria's dead IIRC. One of her last (living) thoughts in Rise of the Lich King was that they'd be reunited in the afterlife soon.
    Probably just 'lost' I reckon, same as quite a few others such as Turalyon. When the Army of Light amasses next expansion in what i'm sure will be our assault upon the Burning Legion on their own world/Argus or both, we'll see Blizzard bring 'em out of the woodwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Wanting stricter immigration policies is predicated upon highly racist views, undoubtedly.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Once she was interesting, now she's one of the most one-dimensional characters I have ever encountered in any video game.
    So Anduin "saviour of Azeroth" Wrynn is not?

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    So Anduin "saviour of Azeroth" Wrynn is not?
    He's pretty bad also, but thankfully not encountered that much. Sylvanas however has pretty much become a one-dimensional, 'evil' rebel of the Horde and little else. A rather sad fall from grace.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Wanting stricter immigration policies is predicated upon highly racist views, undoubtedly.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    He's pretty bad also, but thankfully not encountered that much. Sylvanas however has pretty much become a one-dimensional, 'evil' rebel of the Horde and little else. A rather sad fall from grace.
    Its obvious that Horde is holding Forsaken story back.

  16. #16
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Its obvious that Horde is holding Forsaken story back.
    We agree!
    The same is true vice versa though.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    She's under the impression that Alleria's dead IIRC. One of her last (living) thoughts in Rise of the Lich King was that they'd be reunited in the afterlife soon.
    True, so that might not be a present motivation other than to the extent she may feel obliged to the memory of lost loved ones. It would become a present motivation, IMO, if/when she learns Alleria is alive (two scenes I have the most interest in reading/seeing in game, a Windrunner reunion and also a Windrunner reunion + Lor'themar et al over the current state of Quel'thalas).

  18. #18
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Its obvious that Horde is holding Forsaken story back.
    Well yes, Forsaken story....Scourge 2.0, that is.

    Thank the Horde I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Wanting stricter immigration policies is predicated upon highly racist views, undoubtedly.

  19. #19
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkenedfist View Post
    If you did that necklace quest in bc where you give her back her necklace she got from one of her sisters she breaks down and starts singing.
    This quest? http://www.wowhead.com/quest=9180

    <Sylvanas takes the necklace from your grasp.>
    It can't be! After all this time, I thought it was lost forever.
    <After a lingering moment the Lady seems to become aware once again of her surroundings, composing herself.>
    You thought this would amuse me? Do you think I long for a time before I was the queen of the Forsaken? Like you, it means nothing to me, and Alleria Windrunner is a long dead memory!


    Yeah, she misses her sisters.

    And her Music Box plays the 'Lament of the Highborne', which describes one of the worst periods of her people.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    This quest? http://www.wowhead.com/quest=9180

    <Sylvanas takes the necklace from your grasp.>
    It can't be! After all this time, I thought it was lost forever.
    <After a lingering moment the Lady seems to become aware once again of her surroundings, composing herself.>
    You thought this would amuse me? Do you think I long for a time before I was the queen of the Forsaken? Like you, it means nothing to me, and Alleria Windrunner is a long dead memory!


    Yeah, she misses her sisters.

    And her Music Box plays the 'Lament of the Highborne', which describes one of the worst periods of her people.
    The quest language is obvious posturing and bravado if you have actually played through it -- she is blowing you off so she doesn't look weak. And immediately begins singing the song. Which, by the way, clearly existed in some form prior to the fall to Arthas since she is remembering its words while she is defending against the Scourge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •