Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A decent router can run from $40-$60. Any more than that is just overspending on superfluous things.

And yes, how dare they give you free hardware. How dare they indeed.

Their speeds are what they claim, as you already posted. Just because the FREE hardware they provide isn't great doesn't mean anything against them.
    The hardware isnt free. It's part of the monthly bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    The hardware isnt free. It's part of the monthly bill.
    Yet, if you didn't get the hardware, the bill is likely the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    go on ebay and buy a 20 foot Ethernet cable and test it.. In my house my router is in my living room so I have an Ethernet cable go from router to outside..it trails up to the loft and out the other side and down into my room and the cable cost me £10 from ebay.. All I did was follow existing wiring for the tv aerial etc so it don't look messy, That way you can test your pc/laptop in your room with a proper connection and it cost you under $20

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to staples and got a 25' ethernet cable. It barely managed to reach but it works. 1gbps now with stable internet. It looks goofy as fuck in the hallway.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Wireless is rather fickle, even with a newer, better wireless router it still might not work, depending on lots of things. Does seem you found out what the issue is at least. Hardwired is better anyway. You can give the new wireless router a try, but I doubt Comcast will help you with it (AT&T and Verizon won't) unless you go for some paid premium support.

Yet, if you didn't get the hardware, the bill is likely the same.
    actually some companies here in the US have started charging a rental fee on the modem. buy your own and your monthly is 4 cheaper. if the modem lasts it pays for its self over time

@OP

you can either buy a new modem/router or try and get them to replace your modem/router..

threaten to switch companies if they dont replace the modem if necessary.. even if its an empty threat should work.

10+ Year Old Account
    A decent router can run from $40-$60. Any more than that is just overspending on superfluous things.
    no, a decent router is $200-300, anything less is a headache, people that complain about having a bad router that they have to reset every other night are the ones that buy the cheap junk ones