1. #21421
    Blademaster Zirusitavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tenpony Tower
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
    References to references of fiction about fiction.

    2 deep

    The Sound of Music | 'Stretch you on like a latex mask, my sigil's your epitaph' | My Magic decks

  2. #21422
    You know a cola addiction has gone too far when you wonder what would happen if you injected it.

  3. #21423

  4. #21424
    Blademaster Bluesparkks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dreamscape
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Looks great. =)

    She's the protagonist, correct?

    So I take it that's one of the cloud-bands on her leg, noting the inscriptions/runes on it they're likely magical so how does she use them? I mean is it a close-range thingy or can she use them from a long range like magic?

    Also the gem on the cloak? Something stealth related?

    Oh and is her headband somehow related to the cloud-bands?

    So many questions and not sure if I should even ask any of these because spoiling the story. D:
    You can ask all you want, but I won't spoil anything critical. No, she is not the protagonist; that would be Zephyr (due for a redesign). I can't say much about that drawing without spoiling something major, but read on if you're curious to see what I can say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aryd View Post
    Earth pony with magic? Sounds familiar, that said I've read too many fanfics.
    Yes, she is invoking magic, but it's not the same as unicorn magic. To clarify--this is my canon--the harness she's wearing allows her to harness the positive magical energy that all Earth ponies radiate (they have stronger willpower/spirits and generally have a more positive outlook on life--AJ/PP). What she does with said energy is focus it into solid constructs (creation is a very Earth pony thing), such as tools, weapons, and other things. There's three caveats though:

    • The constructs rapidly deteriorate when they lose contact with her or the harness.
    • She cannot create solids when she's not in direct contact with the Earth (so no creating wings and flying).
    • While Earth ponies do accumulate this energy over time, using the harness swiftly consumes it; her use of the harness is limited by how much of this energy she has on hand. Overuse can leave her disoriented, drained, fatigued, dispirited, demotivated, or potentially dead.

    There's another reason in her backstory that makes her use of this harness by orders of magnitude more potent than if another Earth pony used it; I won't spoil it, but I will say it's much more innate, symbolic, thematic, and meaningful than just me saying "Because I said so."

    As a fun fact, her favorite, most powerful, but most costly thing to do with it is construct an energy bow on her back (centered on that gem) and fire arrows, using her tail to draw the bowstring. The projectiles have a low effective range, but if she happens to hit something with one...

  5. #21425
    Herald of the Titans Mapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fuyuki City
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryd View Post
    You know a cola addiction has gone too far when you wonder what would happen if you injected it.
    Well that escalated quickly :|

    " I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

  6. #21426
    Warchief Shroud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Google it
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonform View Post
    ....

  7. #21427
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryd View Post
    You know a cola addiction has gone too far when you wonder what would happen if you injected it.
    That might be really bad, all that junk in your bloodstream instead of being processed by digestion first.

    Alcohol, on the other hand, that just goes straight to the blood anyway...

    Spitfire's Day Off | Avatar by Thoroar | Find the Music

  8. #21428
    Blademaster Zirusitavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tenpony Tower
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    You can ask all you want, but I won't spoil anything critical. No, she is not the protagonist; that would be Zephyr (due for a redesign). I can't say much about that drawing without spoiling something major, but read on if you're curious to see what I can say.
    That's Zephyr?

    That's fun. I thought of her way darker, with long hair that she could never get out of her eyes whenever she tried to look serious.

    The Sound of Music | 'Stretch you on like a latex mask, my sigil's your epitaph' | My Magic decks

  9. #21429
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,518
    Haiho!

  10. #21430
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Haiho!
    Hello Joyous

    Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best | My Aviary

  11. #21431
    Herald of the Titans Mapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fuyuki City
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Haiho!
    Hai Joybewbs

    " I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

  12. #21432
    Blademaster Bluesparkks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dreamscape
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    That's Zephyr?

    That's fun. I thought of her way darker, with long hair that she could never get out of her eyes whenever she tried to look serious.
    I know it's not set in Equestria I therefore have leave to bend/violate a lot of official canon, but I still stick with fairly desaturated colors for OC coats. The two show ponies that have vivid coats are Big Mac and Luna; they're very, very rare, and they're not even that dark. I only have one, maybe two dark-coated ponies so far (here's one of them). Zephyr's had a pale, icy-blue coat since her initial conception. The color of this guy's(/girl's?) eyes, to be exact.

    I won't be making too many in-text references to Zeph's appearance; as I remember I've only said that the front of her mane looks like a V, and that she has a blue coat. Same deal with Whimsy--I think I've only mentioned that her blindfold is orange. Those appearances just won't come up much; Zeph knows what both of them look like and there's little reason for her to even think about it. I'll still be drawing them, but I would like to emphasize that when it comes to written stories, part of the fun is leaving things to the reader's imagination; how I picture Zephyr may be different from the way you or the next guy pictures her, and just ignore the fact that I'm the author (honestly). None of us or wrong or right.

    As for why Zeph's mane in front is styled like a V...well, yeah. Rule of symbolism. (Minor spoiler: her primary thematic element is the wind; secondary is both the storm--lightning, specifically--and a bird of prey, hence the 'beak'.)
    Last edited by Bluesparkks; 2013-01-23 at 06:09 PM.

  13. #21433
    Blademaster Mr Klocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Under a rock
    Posts
    32
    I am here! \o/

  14. #21434
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    Hello Joyous
    Well well well, look who flew in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Hai Joybewbs
    Hi Hud.

  15. #21435
    Quote Originally Posted by Theklocko View Post
    I am here! \o/
    Hello Squishy

    Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best | My Aviary

  16. #21436
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Theklocko View Post
    I am here! \o/
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ye sure?

  17. #21437
    Herald of the Titans Mapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fuyuki City
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Theklocko View Post
    I am here! \o/
    Hey purple squishy

    " I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

  18. #21438
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    snip
    Interesting, I assume this is an "adventure" type fic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Well that escalated quickly :|
    Yes.

    Yes it did.

    Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    That might be really bad, all that junk in your bloodstream instead of being processed by digestion first.

    Alcohol, on the other hand, that just goes straight to the blood anyway...
    I suppose so, I'm horrified by needles anyway so I would never do it.

    I would bathe in cola though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Theklocko View Post
    I am here! \o/
    Hiya Klockos.

  19. #21439
    Blademaster Mr Klocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Under a rock
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    Hello Squishy
    Hey freyski

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ye sure?
    I AM POSITIVE!
    YEAAAAH!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Hey purple squishy
    Hey hudson

    Quote Originally Posted by Aryd View Post
    Interesting, I assume this is an "adventure" type fic?



    Yes.

    Yes it did.



    I suppose so, I'm horrified by needles anyway so I would never do it.

    I would bathe in cola though.



    Hiya Klockos.
    Holy shit you changed your shit back . . . why?

  20. #21440
    Blademaster Zirusitavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tenpony Tower
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    I know it's not set in Equestria I therefore have leave to bend/violate a lot of official canon, but I still stick with fairly desaturated colors for OC coats. The two show ponies that have vivid coats are Big Mac and Luna; they're very, very rare, and they're not even that dark. I only have one, maybe two dark-coated ponies so far (here's one of them). Zephyr's had a pale, icy-blue coat since her initial conception. The color of this guy's(/girl's?) eyes, to be exact.

    I won't be making too many in-text references to Zeph's appearance; as I remember I've only said that the front of her mane looks like a V, and that she has a blue coat. Same deal with Whimsy--I think I've only mentioned that her blindfold is orange. Those appearances just won't come up much; Zeph knows what both of them look like and there's little reason for her to even think about it. I'll still be drawing them, but I would like to emphasis that when it comes to written stories, part of the fun is leaving things to the reader's imagination; how I picture Zephyr may be different from the way you or the next guy pictures her, and just ignore the fact that I'm the author (honestly). None of us or wrong or right.

    As for why Zeph's mane in front is styled like a V...well, yeah. Rule of symbolism. (Minor spoiler: her primary thematic element is the wind; secondary is both the storm--lightning, specifically--and a bird of prey, hence the 'beak'.)
    * Nods


    I like that. In Fallout Equestria, you are actually never really told how Littlepip looks - The short-brown-haired, green eyed mare we know was just the general feel of her, and people just went with that.

    I like that.

    The Sound of Music | 'Stretch you on like a latex mask, my sigil's your epitaph' | My Magic decks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •