...my left analog stick just died...

shit I forgot I was actually using Chris on here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    But the food you eat, the music you listen to, everything you partake of? Does that not influence those hormones in turn? Some of the chemicals your body uses can only be produced with certain nutrients, right? So what you take in influences how your body acts. I can eat a piece of chocolate and feel temporarily happier.

I know where you're coming from and I agree, to a point, but my issue is that if all we are is slaves to our hormones (and, perhaps, instincts), then we might as well be wild animals and I should just give up all of my non-survival-related endeavors right now. Yes, our biology dictates how we feel. We dictate how we deal with it. Same way you can't dictate your circumstances in life, but you can dictate how you deal with them. It's not absolute and there's no lines, at least the way I see it. So perhaps "controlling one's emotions" is just a poor way to say "having willpower and the mental fortitude strong enough to counteract emotions if needed".
    Of course you can manipulate how you feel with external influences. Let's take an extreme example: cocaine. Snort a line, instant dopamine flood for your brain, your reward center gets overwhelmed with good feeling. You will feel great, if only temporary. Chocolate does the same thing with your receptors but on a lighter scale. So do medical drugs for treating depression patients, because from a medical point of view a depression is more usually caused by malfunctioning dopamine production or receptors. All these happy pills do is give you an external push.

Don't get me wrong. As a society we are absolutely, fully and totally dependent on every individual keeping their emotions in line. It doesn't work otherwise. If I have a bad day I can't just go around and club people with a tire iron even if I really want to. Society doesn't work when we behave like that. But that is exactly what I meant: as a society we expect certain things from our members (like, not clubbing people with tire irons). That is the reason why you don't go around doing that, even if you totally feel like it. That is where your willpower comes into the play. Doesn't change the fact that the chemicals in your brain might really want you to do that.

I have--pardon me--a pretty large capacity for compassion. I use that and understanding as a tool to temper my emotions; maybe the slowpoke ahead of me on the road is just driving slower so he doesn't crash while he's looking for a map, maybe that grumpy person at work was just having a bad day. The world I interact with is full of reasons I cannot see or discern, and I would not will myself to get angry, not for reasons I don't understand, but reasons I don't even know and maybe can't even imagine.
    It's not about forceing yourself to get angry, you will sometimes meet people which you just can't stand, even when they did nothing wrong, you just don't like them and maybe also just starts "hateing" on everything they do, even when it's just something they enjoy. Sometimes it's just the thing, that you can't see the situation of the persons point of view which you don't like and if you would do that, you may wouldn't hate his/her doing since it is the normal way they do it or would've reacted to it (if youre a person with enough tolerance ofc). I think, if you would manage it this way and do it on more actions of this person, youre maybe able to change your emotions towards this person and i think you could say it's some sort of control at this point if some emotions just stop popping out when you look at this person.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    I went to one a couple of times over the last 12 months. It's not that bad, although I've had some of my fears confirmed. Don't know what you'd be told though.
    Really? That's a bit alarming.

As for me I'm pretty sure they would complain about how boring a case I am.

It is lunch time and I

forgot the sandwich I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    Of course you can manipulate how you feel with external influences. Let's take an extreme example: cocaine. Snort a line, instant dopamine flood for your brain, your reward center gets overwhelmed with good feeling. You will feel great, if only temporary. Chocolate does the same thing with your receptors but on a lighter scale. So do medical drugs for treating depression patients, because from a medical point of view a depression is more usually caused by malfunctioning dopamine production or receptors. All these happy pills do is give you an external push.

Don't get me wrong. As a society we are absolutely, fully and totally dependent on every individual keeping their emotions in line. It doesn't work otherwise. If I have a bad day I can't just go around and club people with a tire iron even if I really want to. Society doesn't work when we behave like that. But that is exactly what I meant: as a society we expect certain things from our members (like, not clubbing people with tire irons). That is the reason why you don't go around doing that, even if you totally feel like it. That is where your willpower comes into the play. Doesn't change the fact that the chemicals in your brain might really want you to do that.
    So we aren't "slaves" in the fullest sense of the word, then, because we can combat the "master's" word and, if we're strong enough, choose to ignore it.

Call me a chicken (not Scootaloo), but I think we're just talking in circles now.

Quote Originally Posted by W1shm4ster View Post
    It's not about forceing yourself to get angry, you will sometimes meet people which you just can't stand, even when they did nothing wrong, you just don't like them and maybe also just starts "hateing" on everything they do, even when it's just something they enjoy. Sometimes it's just the thing, that you can't see the situation of the persons point of view which you don't like and if you would do that, you may wouldn't hate his/her doing since it is the normal way they do it or would've reacted to it (if youre a person with enough tolerance ofc). I think, if you would manage it this way and do it on more actions of this person, youre maybe able to change your emotions towards this person and i think you could say it's some sort of control at this point if some emotions just stop popping out when you look at this person.
    Oh, I have people I dislike and maybe hate, sure, but even so, most of the time it's strictly because they have habits or a personality that annoys the crap out of me. Doesn't change the fact that they're still human beings with their own thoughts, feelings, emotions, history.

" I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

Obligatory page 1000 post go!

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Obligatory page 1000 post. I'll post what I have done so far, I'm probably going to be interrupted by dinner soon.

Still working on shading the upper half. Almost forgot that I have a bunch of special effects going on up there; I don't think this qualifies as a doodle anymore even if I copped out on the lineart.

Quote Originally Posted by solazz View Post

As for me I'm pretty sure they would complain about how boring a case I am.

It is lunch time and I

forgot the sandwich I made.
    There are usually no boring cases.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by solazz View Post
    I don't think there's anything alarming about it

shit I forgot I was actually using Chris on here

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Obligatory page 1000 post go!
    HOla Gutler

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best | My Aviary

Obligatory page 1000 post
    Back to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    HOla Gutler
    hehe do ya have to say hi to me everytime i post frey :P

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

page 1k superiority

Oh, I have people I dislike and maybe hate, sure, but even so, most of the time it's strictly because they have habits or a personality that annoys the crap out of me. Doesn't change the fact that they're still human beings with their own thoughts, feelings, emotions, history.
    We should wrestle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/022/5/c/____waaaant_____by_crenair-d5sd43o.gif
    Okay... I don't usually collect just any random pony picture I run across... but this was unresistable xD

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    Okay... I don't usually collect just any random pony picture I run across... but this was unresistable xD
    Crenair is awesome, but lately all his images have been postage stamp size.

General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Show em how to live

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    Came up on my DA, had to post it.

" I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dragon View Post
    page 1k superiority
    40 posts/page masterrace

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    hehe do ya have to say hi to me everytime i post frey :P
    You don't post often ;_;

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best | My Aviary